Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

"Hey, haole!" okay, there's the start of the conversation. Possible responses,
"What?" (Well, what else do you say when someone says "Hey, you!"

Now, if they say "Hey, haole!" Scochi bit kine mean, eh? Then the answer is "wat, bodda you? Yeah, stay haole a'ready no can help."

Another answer, of course is "Hey, haole!" - "Wat, tita?" But best for be friends before using this answer.

No worries, Kayy911, they no going discriminate against you 'cuz you stay haole, they gonna discriminate against you 'cuz you stay mainland.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 AM

246 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayy911 View Post
Hey,

So one of my college professors said that when someone calls you a Haole, you say "I can breathe."

Has anyone heard that response?

He said that it refers to Haole's not having pigment in their skin, and the I can breathe means we're all breathing the same air.

Half the people that call you "Haole" don't even know that it means breathless. So when you say "I can breathe," they'll think W.T.F.?

If A Hawaiian guy (when I say Hawaiian I say it liberally, because the bloodline has greatly diluted) says eh, Haole, just say what Hawaiian? Stand up for yourself, clowns like that just try to make you feel uncomfortable, but stand up for yourself without being arrogant and they'll shut up. Just make sure you're not in a dark alleyway when this occurs.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It's not an insult, just a description. Don't make a big thing of it.
Same arguments I hear over here in Japan and Korea. 'Gaijin' and 'Waygookin' respectively.

I AM a gaijin/waygookin over here, I have no issue with that.. But, I know so many gaijin/waygookin who will flip out if they are referred to one.

To me, it's not much different than someone saying 'that American guy' or 'that caucasian guy' or something. It's so harmless, so irrelevant. Every language has labels for everything. We can't just expect them to 'pretend' we're all Japanese/Korean or whatever we want to be.

I never understand why people make a fuss about it.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Lol, I am thinking of going to Hilo for college, and just want to make sure that I'll enjoy it there, because if I don't it's a huge, costly mistake.

I want to believe it, I really do, I'm just hesitant.
You'll definitely need a car.

Also, Hilo has a large Japanese population. At least in my experience, Japanese are fairly indifferent to who is around them. They could really care less.

Hilo also has a decent sized mixed population with Hawaiian blood. I think those issues could come up....historical reasons, etc.

I think for the most part, you'll be on the college campus. You'll probably be with classmates, roommates, etc., doing school-like things most of the time.

But, I can understand the concern...how much you have to worried about it, I'd leave that with someone else...

I kind of get the feeling it's probably something you deal with when your going through the Public Education system (K-12), and probably moreso from kids who have no interest in attending colleges and universities.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
You might want to question more are you ready for small town living than racism from where you have lived. Do you need night life? Are you ready to have many of the things you just assume would be arround if you are used to city life? Hilo is a good town but not like a town in areas you said. Depending on where you live in CA. You should maybe look at that opposed to being worried about racism. Are you a good person, open and willing to learn new things/differnt? Are you polite and nice to people? Then should have no problem. But if you want a big city it is not it.
Yep, I can see that being the bigger concern.

California has 37,000,000 people....as opposed to Hilo which only has 40,000.

I just looked at California equivalant towns. CHICO has 80,000. So, cut it in half, and you have Hilo.

Might also be interesting to look at number of college students in Hilo vs Chico as well, as I'd imagine Chico would have a ton more and a bigger college feel in general.

Maybe I've been in the wrong spots, but Hilo didn't give off much of a college feel to me at all.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Hey,

So one of my college professors said that when someone calls you a Haole, you say "I can breathe."

Has anyone heard that response?

He said that it refers to Haole's not having pigment in their skin, and the I can breathe means we're all breathing the same air.
You know, I had heard story from some locals that when the Hawaiians met Captain Cook he was so pale that they thought he looked like a corpse or something... hence the term ha ole I really don't know if there is any truth to that and it is probably too far past to ever know for sure.

To your general question, I disagree with your professor and I wouldn't bother making a scene over it. That boat sailed a long time ago and the word is just part of the culture these days. In my experience it is simply a word used to describe a caucasian person and nothing more... there is no reason to take offense to it.

Furthermore, it seems unusual that someone would just call you "haole". You might be described as a "haole girl/boy" when someone is describing you, but outside of a confrontation it just seems odd that someone would refer to you as "haole". It is more likely to be "eh Bradda/Sista" if they don't know your name.

If someone is trying to mess with you or start trouble you will know it, expletives will most likely be attached to it. It happens but not often enough to walk around worrying about. I have an aunty in Hilo, it is a relatively safe and sleepy town. I would be more concerned with constant rain, occasional vog, and boredom than anything else.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Haole's ok. Effin' haole; not so much.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 AM

55 posts, read 423,930 times
Kayy911, I am from Hilo and went to UH Hilo as well, the word haole can be taken both negatively and positively. Depending how people use the term, but I wouldnt worry a bet at all especially being in hilo its more laid back then the other islands. People accept one another over here no matter what color you are. The only time I seen someone get pissed at another person, is when they didnt respect their culture. Its all about showing respect and living island lifestyle.

You will have a great time at UH Hilo, the class sizes are small and professors at UH Hilo are different from big university professors. They treat you like their owe son/daughter.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
To your general question, I disagree with your professor and I wouldn't bother making a scene over it. That boat sailed a long time ago and the word is just part of the culture these days. In my experience it is simply a word used to describe a caucasian person and nothing more... there is no reason to take offense to it.
We still use the word "haole" to describe things other than people. Most folks in Hawai'i are not going to refer to a "koa haole" tree as a "Leucaena leucocephala", despite the fact that "koa haole" can also mean "Caucasian soldier" in Hawaiian...
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestr...ucocephala.pdf

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, I can see that being the bigger concern.

California has 37,000,000 people....as opposed to Hilo which only has 40,000.

I just looked at California equivalant towns. CHICO has 80,000. So, cut it in half, and you have Hilo.

Might also be interesting to look at number of college students in Hilo vs Chico as well, as I'd imagine Chico would have a ton more and a bigger college feel in general.

Maybe I've been in the wrong spots, but Hilo didn't give off much of a college feel to me at all.
The Chico in half argument (or whatever city) only works if you put it on an ISLAND! You can still jump in the car from the Chico in half and be in the bay area in a relatively short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii