Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Well - in my 10 years of working in Hawaii on all of the islands and now living here, I've never been called a Haole. With that said, if I was called that I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face and looking at that person and saying "I can breathe", I'd feel kind of silly and it probably wouldn't evoke a good reaction. If called that, I'd laugh it off......

Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Kay, you've had three posts in the last couple of weeks asking the same question just phrased differently. It seems that you are really, really worried about some kind of discrimination against white people should you ever make the decision to move to Hawaii.

Take our word for it -- it doesn't exist! We've been coming here to the Big Island for eight years, and living here for the last year and a half. I have never, ever experienced any discrimination in any form, that I know of. I don't go around wondering if that person hates me, or if that person is going to be mean to me. I just go about my daily business and I'm having a great time here.

You don't live here now, so I don't understand who this professor of yours is who "knows" so much about racism in Hawaii. There may be some lowlifes who talk big, but they are very rare.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 PM

171 posts, read 670,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Kay, you've had three posts in the last couple of weeks asking the same question just phrased differently. It seems that you are really, really worried about some kind of discrimination against white people should you ever make the decision to move to Hawaii.

Take our word for it -- it doesn't exist! We've been coming here to the Big Island for eight years, and living here for the last year and a half. I have never, ever experienced any discrimination in any form, that I know of. I don't go around wondering if that person hates me, or if that person is going to be mean to me. I just go about my daily business and I'm having a great time here.

You don't live here now, so I don't understand who this professor of yours is who "knows" so much about racism in Hawaii. There may be some lowlifes who talk big, but they are very rare.
Lol, I am thinking of going to Hilo for college, and just want to make sure that I'll enjoy it there, because if I don't it's a huge, costly mistake.

I want to believe it, I really do, I'm just hesitant.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayy911 View Post
Lol, I am thinking of going to Hilo for college, and just want to make sure that I'll enjoy it there, because if I don't it's a huge, costly mistake.

I'm in Hilo right now for business. You really should spend a week or two here before deciding about college here - the lifestyle is unique here, it has its benefits and drawbacks. It is a very sleepy town and not everyone adjusts to the pace here. Racism is the least of your issues.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:

Hilo is very rainy. Do you like rain?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
That wikipedia article says that it is commonly believed that it means "no breath" and SOME linguists dispute that. The popular etymology is the only one anyway, because it's popular, more people know it than the real one.

I'm just going off of what my professor said, which he learned from personal experiences.
What subject was this professor teaching and where did he receive his training?

At one time, certain professors taught that the "earth was flat" based on their personal experiences and everyone believed it, despite evidence to the contrary.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Hilo is very rainy. Do you like rain?
Yes, I enjoy the rain very much, haha thanks for all the advice people, every little bit helps.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
Get on a plane come over and check it out, if so worried about it. That word isn't disrepectful - unless your not white, or again colorfull words as said before it? Anywhere you go to college-- are you not going to have to figure out the areas culture and how to fit into where you are living? Rednecks, the Bible belt, NY or Alabama etc. If so worried about it stay in same place?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Get on a plane come over and check it out, if so worried about it. That word isn't disrepectful - unless your not white, or again colorfull words as said before it? Anywhere you go to college-- are you not going to have to figure out the areas culture and how to fit into where you are living? Rednecks, the Bible belt, NY or Alabama etc. If so worried about it stay in same place?
I currently go to school in CA and I personally experience no racism towards me (I'm white) but I see it happen towards others, often times hispanics.

I went to school in Connecticut and rarely saw it.

Hawaii seems like a different country at times, although, I guess the deep south would as well.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
You might want to question more are you ready for small town living than racism from where you have lived. Do you need night life? Are you ready to have many of the things you just assume would be arround if you are used to city life? Hilo is a good town but not like a town in areas you said. Depending on where you live in CA. You should maybe look at that opposed to being worried about racism. Are you a good person, open and willing to learn new things/differnt? Are you polite and nice to people? Then should have no problem. But if you want a big city it is not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii