Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
White is a race. You are asked on the US Census to indicate your race - one of the options is White. I'm White - it would be kind of bizzare to be offened if someone said - are you White? White/Black/Asian/Hawaiian - all races.

Haole is a completely different thing - I won't define the difference since 50 people will tell me I got the definition wrong - then those 50 will battle it out over 10 more pages of posts.
True.

But I was thinking more in casual speech.

Probably what I'm more curious about is if a person is white, and tend to be in places where plenty of non-white people are at on the mainland, it's non uncommon to be described as 'the white guy' or overhear 'not if you're white' or whatever other differentiation references.

When I was in Hawaii, I overheard the word haole here and there, but it didn't strike me much as different as hearing 'yeah, but the mayor is white' or 'yeah, but the mayor is haole'.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
True.

But I was thinking more in casual speech.

Probably what I'm more curious about is if a person is white, and tend to be in places where plenty of non-white people are at on the mainland, it's non uncommon to be described as 'the white guy' or overhear 'not if you're white' or whatever other differentiation references.

When I was in Hawaii, I overheard the word haole here and there, but it didn't strike me much as different as hearing 'yeah, but the mayor is white' or 'yeah, but the mayor is haole'.
I've never been called haole (as far as I know) - white, all the time.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 PM

219 posts, read 497,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
We sing this at the school I'm working at and then the kids pick which one covers them. Not racist in the context they use it, just something they like to sing.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
racist comments dont deserve a response. its hostility. ask that they not be rude. its not so much about skin tone. its about the fact the hawaii has only 3 basic groups, rich white and poor service class phillipino and natives, plus a nerd military presence.
its like gloria on the hood used to tell me, huck when u got money everyplace is mardi gras.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
Is this thread still going geezzz
I am a haole. If I am going to describe someone it is gonna be if white haole guy gal. It is again differnt with words in front of haole. Sorry didn't read other posts since last posted but amazed still talking about. And Yes I say Aloha when answering the phone and meeting someone and say Mahalo and actually kiss someone! Geezz it is differnt but nice. Aloha

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
racist comments dont deserve a response. its hostility. ask that they not be rude. its not so much about skin tone. its about the fact the hawaii has only 3 basic groups, rich white and poor service class phillipino and natives, plus a nerd military presence.
its like gloria on the hood used to tell me, huck when u got money everyplace is mardi gras.
Thats probably one of the more asinine comments I've read on this site, and thats quite a bit of reading..

Aloha

Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
Not sorry I missed that ignorant response

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM

406 posts, read 865,605 times
Maybe y'all should just say what I do when someone says f*** you to me.

I just say "Thank you very much!"

Mickey

Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Maybe y'all should just say what I do when someone says f*** you to me.

I just say "Thank you very much!"
Yeah, that sounds like a blessing to me.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
As long as there is no profanity ahead of "haole" it doesn't bother me one bit.

It does amuse me to see the white folk encounter the first whiffs of discrimination. Doesn't feel good, does it?
Why would it amuse you? I've never denigrated anyone for their race/ethnicity in my life. Can't think of any white person I know who's called someone a racial slur or treated someone badly because of their background. Why do you put forth the insinuation that we deserve it for some reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii