Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 26,878 times

Advertisements

I am a blk male 6'2 athletic, certified, and think that my skills and experience will be a desire in many schools. Some of you have jokes I see. Is the saying haoles ?? Get the blank off my post. Aimed at those with jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
OP,

There are a couple threads, started by other folks about the teacher pay rate, affordable living etc..you might want to take a look at them. You just got mixed up in a cyber fight!

$4000 is probably a little low for a start, as you'll have a first months rent & equal amount for deposit on rent, plus deposits on utilities. Check out craiglist to get an over all idea of rents. It will also depend on which island your looking at.

If you ship a car, figure another $1200-$1500 and them whatever personal belongings you plan to move over, not to mention RT airfare for 3.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas42 View Post
I am a blk male 6'2 athletic, certified, and think that my skills and experience will be a desire in many schools. Some of you have jokes I see. Is the saying haoles ?? Get the blank off my post. Aimed at those with jokes.
What the heck does this have to do with anything?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
OP,

There are a couple threads, started by other folks about the teacher pay rate, affordable living etc..you might want to take a look at them. You just got mixed up in a cyber fight!

$4000 is probably a little low for a start, as you'll have a first months rent & equal amount for deposit on rent, plus deposits on utilities. Check out craiglist to get an over all idea of rents. It will also depend on which island your looking at.

If you ship a car, figure another $1200-$1500 and them whatever personal belongings you plan to move over, not to mention RT airfare for 3.
Thanks for that ! I am hoping there will be a relocation bonus !

Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
What the heck does this have to do with anything?
Not playing the race card but , well yes I am ! I am using my ethnicity and educational background and experience to my advantage. Hell ya ! How many blk male teachers on the islands ???? Thats what it has to do with it . Next ?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM

I am worth every penny !

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
head:desk

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Buh-bye.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
They don't have to look for minority anyone to fill any jobs since just about everyone here is a minority - at least as far as the Federal folks are concerned. So, race doesn't really matter much around here. You'd have more luck getting hired as a special ed teacher since there are less of them.

I really doubt they'd pay to relocate you, there are enough folks either already here or willing to pay to relocate themselves to make employers go out and look for more applicants. Supply and demand and we always have more supply of folks wanting to move here than demand for them.

The Department of Education is a statewide system, there are no school districts here. You may be able to get some special considerations if you are willing to teach on the more remote and isolated islands such as Lanai or Molokai. Zero city life, there, though. You might be able to afford living there, but you'd have to make some significant changes to your lifestyle to do it.

You can't afford to live just about anywhere on Oahu (the only island in the Hawaiian chain which has anything remotely like "city life"), on a teacher's salary - especially with two kids. If it were just you and if you were willing to just rent a room instead of a house, it could possibly be done.

Arkansas has an extremely low cost of living and Hawaii - especially Oahu/Honolulu - has a very high cost of living. Making $50K in Oahu is about the same as making $20K in Arkansas as far as what quality of life you can afford on it.

You mentioned you'd looked online. What areas did you find?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They don't have to look for minority anyone to fill any jobs since just about everyone here is a minority - at least as far as the Federal folks are concerned. So, race doesn't really matter much around here. You'd have more luck getting hired as a special ed teacher since there are less of them.

I really doubt they'd pay to relocate you, there are enough folks either already here or willing to pay to relocate themselves to make employers go out and look for more applicants. Supply and demand and we always have more supply of folks wanting to move here than demand for them.

The Department of Education is a statewide system, there are no school districts here. You may be able to get some special considerations if you are willing to teach on the more remote and isolated islands such as Lanai or Molokai. Zero city life, there, though. You might be able to afford living there, but you'd have to make some significant changes to your lifestyle to do it.

You can't afford to live just about anywhere on Oahu (the only island in the Hawaiian chain which has anything remotely like "city life"), on a teacher's salary - especially with two kids. If it were just you and if you were willing to just rent a room instead of a house, it could possibly be done.

Arkansas has an extremely low cost of living and Hawaii - especially Oahu/Honolulu - has a very high cost of living. Making $50K in Oahu is about the same as making $20K in Arkansas as far as what quality of life you can afford on it.

You mentioned you'd looked online. What areas did you find?
Thanks for the insight , that makes sense to me. I understand exactly what you are saying about the comparison between states. I am still determined. No I don't want just a room, lol ! If it is meant to be it will if not so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: