Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiseeker View Post
I want to buy some land and place an unpermitted cabin on it.

Can you guys recommend an area where I can do this, and be walking distance to water where I can fish?
Somewhere on the mainland.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
The un-permitted cabin is becoming a thing of the past. Folks are losing tolerance for them and the Building Department (as well as the Tax Department) are using satellite imagery to find all the un-permitted structures. You will have to pay tax on it, so there's no savings to not getting a permit, other than if what you want to build doesn't meet code.

I think if you choose the right shipping container, you can get them permitted. Mostly, I believe it has to do with the interior height requirement which you have to meet for structures which keeps many of the containers from not being permittable. Check the requirements for an "efficiency dwelling unit" and see if you can get your container to fit within them.

I've got a little over an acre in Hawaii and within walking distance to the water. I'll sell it to you for $10K. You may want to Google "Royal Gardens Subdivision Hawaii" and get a few details before jumping on that offer, though. But if after reading all that, you still want it, just PM me! I'm just planning on using it as a campground when the lava settles down, something movable like your shipping container might be the right sort of house for that lot.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
What I don't get is the whole unpermitted thing. I have no problem with not wasting money and living only on what you need. However, IF your place is good enough to live in, why not go the legal route and get a permit? If you feel that the rules for getting a permit are not correct, legally become part of the community and then do something to try and get them changed. But why would you want to move 2500+ miles away to break the law?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
After he/she gives up on Hawaii they'll be posting the same question re: Northern California .

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM

25 posts, read 81,428 times
Default Thanks for the few positive answers

Wow so many hostile people here, but I thank the one positive response.
The picture is simply that, a 3d rendering, so...it is not a real cabin. My cabin would be very sophisticated, employing solar power, and other alternative green appliances.

I think whoever moderates this site could do a better job of enforcing a more civilized discussion. Just because 2 or 3 nitwits gang up on someone does not make it right, and is uncalled for.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Wow so many hostile people here, but I thank the one positive response.
The picture is simply that, a 3d rendering, so...it is not a real cabin. My cabin would be very sophisticated, employing solar power, and other alternative green appliances.

I think whoever moderates this site could do a better job of enforcing a more civilized discussion. Just because 2 or 3 nitwits gang up on someone does not make it right, and is uncalled for.
Then why not make it legal and get the permits

Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Only logical place I can think of is "in your dream".
Is that really necessary? You must not have the ability to reason, because the fact is, that there are many unpermitted structures available on any real estate search engine, and that is why I asked. Maybe you disrespectful types could learn some manners, since it is obvious your were not taught any at home. Or, maybe you could channel your hate and hostility in a more positive way, like taking up a hobby or something. Learn to treat people with respect.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Is that really necessary? You must not have the ability to reason, because the fact is, that there are many unpermitted structures available on any real estate search engine, and that is why I asked. Maybe you disrespectful types could learn some manners, since it is obvious your were not taught any at home. Or, maybe you could channel your hate and hostility in a more positive way, like taking up a hobby or something. Learn to treat people with respect.
To clarify some things:

1. People try and build "ohana" homes on their properties that aren't zoned for that, and there are a lot of garages turned into rental properties and lanais turned into extra bedrooms. So there's a lot of "unpermitted" activity. That doesn't make it legal or ok. As a realtor just wrote to me: "if the state stops by and finds the construction to be bunk you will most likely be responsible for it's being brought up to code or it's removal. A headache most would want to avoid." - In other words, it could wind up costing you a lot more; you could wind up losing everything in your structure plus being fined. etc.

2. To you, Hawaii is just another option with a beach. To Hawaii people, it's a soul, a sense of place, it's the 'aina, it's a living breathing culture and home. Hawaii people have a lot of emotion wrapped up in our home - and that's why you got the reaction. You can tell by the points in the upper right hand corner that some of the people who reacted to you are well-respected and well-liked members of this forum. So let me respectfully try and explain a few things:

Hawaii is a place that a lot of mainland people dream about, but they don't "get" who she is. We've had communities on the mainland clean up their homeless and give them a one-way ticket to "the islands, where they can live in warm weather and live on the beach and fish." Those people then use up precious welfare resources in an ever-shrinking system.

We have people with big dreams come to Hawaii unprepared for the cost of living and the difference in the culture. Then they write hateful things about Hawaii in forums like this. We are tired of it. I lived there for 30 years and still spend a great deal of time "back home." It's maddening to read some of the comments people make about this very special place.

Hawaii isn't a place to just go and crash. And there's very little chance you could (or would want to) just buy a place by the ocean and count on only fish for your food. It's hard to separate yourself from the community in Hawaii. We talk to each other, we hug, we know who is who, we pay attention! It grinds on people when someone just wants to use Hawaii but not participate or be a part of things. Hawaii people are, for the most part, pretty friendly people.

But you kind of hit a nerve. Your question DID sound like - "How can I sneak in there and break your laws and just hang out on the beach looking for food?" I guess many felt like "been there, heard that." And I have to admit I rolled my eyes, too. Maybe we're wrong. And maybe you're the exception and you'll be an amazing addition to the community. Just don't go in trying to pull something off that creates a lot of problems and headaches.

The lesson really is that in any small community, no matter in what state, you aren't just going there and living on a piece of land. You are entering a community and will become part of the quilt, for better or worse. So people care about who you are. Even though the state has 1.3 million people, it's amazing how small it is. Even though we don't use our real names on here, I'm sure that I'm either related to, worked with someone who knows, or know personally every Hawaii poster.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Amen, sistah!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 AM

Default You people a low

Just because you gang attack does not mean you are correct.

Here is a picture of a shipping container, not much different than a cabin, just alternative.

There are many alternative housing units like this. You people are sad examples of what is wrong with the world. Enjoy your misery.
Attached Thumbnails
Best place to place unpermitted cabin-shipping-container-home-jim-poteet-texas_4_pqo1m_69.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii