Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

Oh, "unpermitted" doesn't avoid the taxes. The Building Department and the Tax Department are two separate departments and as far as I can tell they don't share information. The Tax Department WILL tax you on your unpermitted structure. Right away, they are real good at finding them. They have field agents who look at each property at least once a year. The Building Department, on the other hand, pretty much stays in their offices unless it is an inspector sent out to a project site.

The OP strikes me as another one of those "Paradise" dreamers. He/she wants to "Move to Paradise" (insert syrupy music, rainbows and lights flashing from unicorn horns here) and live easy and free. Usually they want to live on the beach in a tiny grass shack. Obviously, they've never seen a grass shack. Which are still allowed by code by the way, but only as a tourist demonstration on a commercial property. Also obvious is the OP has never priced property in Hawaii - especially property close enough to walk to a viable ocean access spot, nor probably even been here before.

IMHO, the likelihood of this particular OP of moving to Hawaii is extremely low.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I was looking around at various C-D forums yesterday and cracked up at a post in the Alaska forum. Someone wanting information on a "remote area with views" where she could build a small cabin. THAT released a flood of responses similar to the reality check that people get when they post something equally farfetched on the Hawaii forum. At least she didn't come back hurling insults at the people who took the time to post comments.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM

502 posts, read 985,450 times
Default Cheap place to live near the ocean in Hawaii

Hey, those guyz are lieing to you. Find a Realtor who knows Royal Gardens, Kalapana area. Of course it is a lava field, quite chilled and solid to buy 1 - 3 acres away from the crowd. Build a little cabin on it next to others. Walk to the shore line or cliff . ( Cliff is about 35 feet above the ocean.) You got a decent fish pole. Woolah, fresh ocean fish for your skilllet. I heard you can buy Lava Land in Royal Gardens or the Kalapana lava fields for under $15K.

But try to make the cabin - purty.

Now if you had a good running car, you could find work locally, like me.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
.... I heard you can buy Lava Land in Royal Gardens or the Kalapana lava fields for under $15K...
That seems extremely overpriced for land that will probably be covered over, again, maybe real soon? Plus, there are no roads that easily get you to your "cabin". It is one heck of a hike to get to Royal Gardens.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 AM

No worries! I'll sell you a lot in Royal Gardens for a mere $10K! It's 1.18 acres and it's yours for $10K! Whoohoo! (Note: this is a real and valid offer, I actually do own a lot in Royal Gardens which can be sold.)

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Default TO: Cheap, Out of the Way Adventurer Guy

The last time I looked, one could find a one acre lot in the Kalapana, Royal Gardens ( of course it being a Lava Field ), for a mere $5.K . Check with Realtors who work the district of Puna. Also be aware that Clark Realty specializes in the very RICH who have deep pockets. Aside from that, you said you wanted cheap Real Estate in Hawaii with walk to fishing rights. This area fits the bill to what you are looking for, both with price and convenience to the ocean for din din.

Also, one enterprising individual I met, had rigged gutters on his shelter to catch the abundant rain into his cistern. How cool is that !

Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM

281 posts, read 256,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
The last time I looked, one could find a one acre lot in the Kalapana, Royal Gardens ( of course it being a Lava Field ), for a mere $5.K . Check with Realtors who work the district of Puna. Also be aware that Clark Realty specializes in the very RICH who have deep pockets. Aside from that, you said you wanted cheap Real Estate in Hawaii with walk to fishing rights. This area fits the bill to what you are looking for, both with price and convenience to the ocean for din din.

Also, one enterprising individual I met, had rigged gutters on his shelter to catch the abundant rain into his cistern. How cool is that !
They should come up with a name for such an ingenious idea. Perhaps...say... water catchment. Who knows, it might catch on!!!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

There are also places whre you can climb down the cliffs to snorkel or spear fish in the crystal blue meth waters. ( I meant crystal blue waters. )

Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Last I knew there was a river running across the Royal Gardens property. Don't think it would help anyone with their water supply, though, since it was a river of lava.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Default In the Royal Gardens / Kalapana area of Puna

There is an ample supply of rain - more than enough to sustain life via catchment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii