Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If your job experience and degree has no better prospects outside of Hawaii time to address that now - get another degree online like University of Phoenix. I know some people on the mainland with online degrees in computer science and they are making big $$'s.
Hmm, it looks like it costs around $32K for an online master's degree in information systems from the University of Phoenix. If he barely afford to live on Maui right now, how is he going to afford to live on Maui and pay for an online degree at a "for-profit" university?
Tuition and Financial Options - University of Phoenix

I can think of some extralegal ways for him to make pretty decent money on Maui that involve a little "horticulture"...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Hmm, it looks like it costs around $32K for an online master's degree in information systems from the University of Phoenix. If he barely afford to live on Maui right now, how is he going to afford to live on Maui and pay for an online degree at a "for-profit" university?
Tuition and Financial Options - University of Phoenix

I can think of some extralegal ways for him to make pretty decent money on Maui that involve a little "horticulture"...
Financial aid and grants are available for poor souls such as wink. I wouldn't suggest the masters - use the credits he already has from his geography degree and get a second major - should be a year or less.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM

242 posts, read 391,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't think I can repeatedly lift 70 lbs
Quote:
There was a job in West Maui cleaning stables a few hours a week a couple months ago... Too bad my finger was broken or I would have applied.
Quote:
Wait, you guys know my goal is to get a better job and leave Hawaii right?
Quote:
I did get a job with a surveying company on Oahu to convert CAD data to GIS and make maps for their federal gov bids, but they didn't give me any work.
Quote:
Basically, that is a plan that leads to getting a minimum wage job (if I'm lucky) in some strange place, and being poorer than I am now.
See a pattern here? Its "woe to me" but I always have a reason why it didn't/won't work.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
See a pattern here? Its "woe to me" but I always have a reason why it didn't/won't work.
Want to read more?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-once-you.html

Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
If your job experience and degree has no better prospects outside of Hawaii time to address that now - get another degree online like University of Phoenix. I know some people on the mainland with online degrees in computer science and they are making big $$'s.
It's not that there are "no better prospects". It's that it's a small field. It makes no sense to move somewhere and then hope to get a job in GIS.

It's just as stupid as moving to Hawaii without a job and hoping to get one once you're here. Chances are you'll be working at a McJob.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
It's called reality... I know pie in the sky attitudes are popular on this forum but come on.

How the hell is it "woe is me" to post that I got a second job and then got screwed?

How the hell is it "woe is me" to say that it's stupid to move somewhere without a job? Seriously... explain that.

How the hell is it "woe is me" to not apply for a job cleaning stables because I have a broken finger and can't clean stables? Are you stupid?

BTW would anyone on this forum like to volunteer to take care of me if I'm lifting 70lbs and my hernia blows out again, at a job that pays less than what I make now?

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-05-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Financial aid and grants are available for poor souls such as wink. I wouldn't suggest the masters - use the credits he already has from his geography degree and get a second major - should be a year or less.
If he wants to go further into debt, that might be worth investigating; however, there are probably better online options than the University of Phoenix. Wink's alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin, offers a "Master of Science in Technology Communication" program that could mesh quite well with his geography degree and work experience. It takes about a year to complete and can be done online as well...
MSTC Online Option | McCombs School of Business | The University of Texas at Austin

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If he wants to go further into debt, that might be worth investigating; however, there are probably better online options than the University of Phoenix. Wink's alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin, offers a "Master of Science in Technology Communication" program that could mesh quite well with his geography degree and work experience. It takes about a year to complete and can be done online as well...
MSTC Online Option | McCombs School of Business | The University of Texas at Austin
I have a geography degree, certificates, and 5 years of experience. I'm more than qualified for a lot of GIS jobs. The last thing I need is a master's. That one at the business school is really for startups and things like that. I know a few people in Silicon Valley and Austin who do that kind of thing. It's basically a field where people create a company to get investment, the company fails, and they take the money and run. It's a great way to make a living if you're a slick talker.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
So Wink, is GIS work the ONLY work you are willing to do?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
So Wink, is GIS work the ONLY work you are willing to do?
GIS is what I'm qualified for. What do you think I should do, fly to LA, sleep in a homeless shelter, and apply for jobs I can't get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: