Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
Mickey -- my father is 73, and he started learning to fly this year. It's never too late.
That's great- if your health is good- goo for it- and forget the expense- what are you going to do with your last few dollars before you die anyway? Give to a bunch of little pricks who will party for a week and say what a great guy your were? The thing about an older body is that your hand eye co-ordination is better- your reflexes are more sure - more accurate and just as quick as at 30 - probably quicker- plus you are wise and do not take risks....Fly- - you know when it is to late- when you are dead- that's late and they will call you the LATE MR. SO AND SO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
I made a bunch of mistakes in my twenties. Would I undo any of them? NO!!! They all led to who I am today, every last one of them, and I am delighted with how I ended up. I took the unconventional route in life in my 20s and ended up quite successful because of it, not in spite of it. Successful, calculated risk-taking is seen as a big plus when organizations are hiring leaders. Yes, I'm guilty of encouraging young people on here to give it a go, move to Hawai'i if they don't have other obligations, like family. I landed in Ft. Lauderdale in my early 20's during a recession with a few bucks, a dog, no job, no friends, no place to live, because I was so unhappy where I was (cold place) and I just knew I'd work it out. Yes, I struggled for a few years but that was all good, character building and gives me some of the fondest memories of my life. Later in life, when I was hired for an incredibly responsible job, I drew on those experiences and excelled.

Not for everyone...but certainly for the confident and adventurous!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:23 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
YES - WE ALL TURNED OUT GREAT- thank God-- life is an adventure worth loving...I had twenty lives and I was twenty people- A great greed for life existed in my and I took it all-- do I regret ending up poor? NOPE- cos' I am secretly the most wealthy man on the planet- don't tell anyone.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YES - WE ALL TURNED OUT GREAT- thank God-- life is an adventure worth loving...I had twenty lives and I was twenty people- A great greed for life existed in my and I took it all-- do I regret ending up poor? NOPE- cos' I am secretly the most wealthy man on the planet- don't tell anyone.
WOW...I could post the same thing except I'm the wealthiest woman on the planet!!! My spouse could also post the same thing (I think he was 22 people though) and you aren't the wealthiest man...he is.

Seriously...great post.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
I regret decisions that were not beneficial to my soul, but much of those have to be counted as gaining "life experiences" and "growing up". I wish I'd had better focus on (1) not being in a position to be taken advantage of. (2) looking out for my own interests first. (3) not wasting extended time on a doomed relationship (ie bad match) because it slows down progress in life.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
As an older person I think that if you're happy with your lot in life now you're a lot less likely to have regrets.
I agree with this.

I can think of a few things I'd have done differently, but I can't think of anything I regret not doing.

I find that most adults, eventually get around to doing those things they'd always been wanting to do. It's never too late, as well.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I regret decisions that were not beneficial to my soul, but much of those have to be counted as (3) not wasting extended time on a doomed relationship (ie bad match) because it slows down progress in life.
For you, maybe it did. For me, each one of those "doomed" relationships created a different facet of my personality that is now very important to me.

I remember my spouse regretting marrying #1 and I said "but then you would not have your daughter." After 21 years of regret for that first marriage...he realized that it was the best thing that happened to him at that time. He loves his daughter SOOOO much...worth the pain.

For me, each one of my exes helped me reach and grow into who I am today. I don't miss them...don't love them anymore..don't like them!...but am grateful for their part in making me the current DebbyDiver.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
For you, maybe it did. For me, each one of those "doomed" relationships created a different facet of my personality that is now very important to me..
Yes, learning is good (I comment on that myself, "life experience" and "growing up").

But usually there are more gentle ways to learn than dragging oneself through an extended doomed relationship, which is what I was referring to.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Someone sent me a comment - and said "Cool thread, but what does it have to do with Hawaii?" Thought I'd clarify.

Where I was originally going with this was - if you could move to Hawaii in your 20's and it is something you don't do - would you really regret it the rest of your life. Several posters have suggested that in many other threads and it got me thinking - really??? Rest of your life?

My thought process - ah, maybe have some regrets a week or two - a month or two - but moving to Hawaii (or not moving) didn't seem like something worth regretting the rest of your life - especially in your 20's.

I kind of put things to regret the rest of your life like prison, not having closure with an estranged family member who dies, having a child at 16, etc

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM

Lots of people get older and imagine that they've missed something [when what they actually missed is just their "dream" of something .... like living in Hawaii on the beach and surviving on coconuts and fish]. Those of us who make decisions to go forward with what we want, well, I'd surmise that we are less apt to be sitting around in later years with regrets of what we didn't do.

Oh, and this is not to say that folks shouldn't move to Hawaii if they want to, and if they do their homework first. Singles = easy street. In debt already = hard. Kids to educate = harder. But with planning, go for it. Enjoy life! [But forget thinking you can live free on a beach with a free food source.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii