Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times

Advertisements

The rift between mono and multi sailors is much less these days thankfully.
Hi and back in a season is pretty ambitious- there is a reason why the raceboats pay masochists like me to bring the boats back for them.
If your stay is not too long then there are enough places to anchor / dock, Summer in Hanalei...
Normal crusier route is down the Mexican coast to get south of the high then over in the trades.
The way back going north upwind on starboard for several days then tacking and gradually easing off as the days go by. A lot rougher than sailing to Hi. You can motorsail across the high to shorten up the trip a bit- I have used fuel bladders in the cockpit for the return. August/ late september is the absolute latest for a return trip due to winter storms. Last time I did a delivery we left in mid August I think and got some of the first N. Pacific storms of the year- winds of 50 Knots. Boat was a solid 43 foot J something and not really a problem but pretty serious sailing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Razzbar,

I would think that the next 11 years of planning will get me there safely. Also, not my first time on the ocean. Been doing this on the California coast most of my life. One amazing thing that makes it so much easier than when I was a kid is GPS. Although I have learned how to navigate by the stars, it is so easy to rely on GPS.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
The rift between mono and multi sailors is much less these days thankfully.
Hi and back in a season is pretty ambitious- there is a reason why the raceboats pay masochists like me to bring the boats back for them.
If your stay is not too long then there are enough places to anchor / dock, Summer in Hanalei...
Normal crusier route is down the Mexican coast to get south of the high then over in the trades.
The way back going north upwind on starboard for several days then tacking and gradually easing off as the days go by. A lot rougher than sailing to Hi. You can motorsail across the high to shorten up the trip a bit- I have used fuel bladders in the cockpit for the return. August/ late september is the absolute latest for a return trip due to winter storms. Last time I did a delivery we left in mid August I think and got some of the first N. Pacific storms of the year- winds of 50 Knots. Boat was a solid 43 foot J something and not really a problem but pretty serious sailing.
When you say "The High", is that an area of high pressure? Also, is there a book for yachtsman on recommended routs, usueable ancharoages etc. for people wanting to cruise, but not necessarilyy circumnavigate.

Also, and I feel a bit silly asking, are pirates much of an issue in aread from say Tahiti to Calif.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
Yes the high is a stationary high pressaure low wind area in the middle of the Pacific between CA and HI.
Pitates are absolutly a non issue.
Here is probably the best cruising guide Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Islands (2nd Edition): Bob and Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837731: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Yes the high is a stationary high pressaure low wind area in the middle of the Pacific between CA and HI.
To further elaborate - the Pacific High or also called the California High generally forms in May and ends late October. This clockwise high pressure steers the rain towards Seattle/Canada in the summer which causes the dry season in California. It does break down occasionally which gives you the odd summer rain storm in San Francisco or other CA cities - but largely stays in place the entire dry season.

This high pressure is also important in aviation - pilots try to get the jet stream from this high pressure to the west coast - often taking an hour off the scheduled flight - and on the reverse - it can add a lot to the flight time which is why you'll sometimes see flights from Alaska Airlines fly to the Bay Area from Seattle for a fuel stop - then make the flight to Hawaii as the 737's won't have the range with headwinds.

Semi-Permanent Highs and Lows | Climate Education Modules for K-12

Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Pitates are absolutly a non issue.
Here is probably the best cruising guide [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guide-Hawaiian-Islands-2nd/dp/0939837730"]Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Islands (2nd Edition): Bob and Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837731: Amazon.com: Books[/URL]
Thanks. What do you think of Fountaine Pajot Cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii