Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
When I lived with the Akina family back in 1976, we'ld kalua a pig, throw a few turkeys with a bunch of sweet potatoes into the imu, and invite EVERYBODY!!!!!! Quite the feast, seeing as all the guests would bring something as well. Upon leaving, the guests would get a number of very large paper plates stacked with food, most of them would give these to those they knew who were less fortunate. Think I'm going to do the oven roasted kalua pork or turkey thing, was fortunate enough to get the recipe from another member of this forum.

Aloha
What time should we be there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Hey bruddah,
You bout half way roun da planet from Hawaii already!!! Get the recipe from Kani for oven da kine kalua pork, use a turkey breast instead, and good luck on finding Hanalei Poi, don't think they have it in Georgia.
Yea, only in Hawaii!!!!!
Did a kalua pig in Spokane for my sister once, only problem was no ti leaves or banana stalks for the imu, so had to resort to cabbage leaves!! My brother and I get the imu fired up around 2:00 am, let the river rocks get really hot, toss in the pig, already wrapped in chicken wire, cover with wet burlap, and cover with dirt. Guests start showing up at around 1:00 pm, and they're all asking, "Where's the pig?" They're looking for a rotiserrie or above ground BBQ, we just point to this slight mound in my sisters backyard, "It's in there"
They, the guests, thought we were joking, could hardly believe it when we broke out the shovel and dug the pig out. Best thing about the cabbage leaves, instant pork and cabbage.....

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 11-03-2007, 03:20 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
i was telling kimo that some of the oven recipes call for all ti leaves, all banana leaves, a combination of the two or none at all. hope he can get his hand on some. maybe at a florist? or an asian market for banana leaves?

that bbq turkey sounds really ono (delicious). have you ever tried deep frying one?

talk about improvisation with the cabbage leaves. now, that's a great idea. wondering if it would work the same in the oven?

no worries for cynmkolohe, she'll be up at kilauea lodge enjoying the ambience and her turkey dinner.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
I had dinner with a family a few years ago who deep fried the turkey for a change of pace. Yum. One advantage...shifted some of the responsibility for cooking to the male side of the family! The guys were all about being hands-on for that process!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
I had dinner with a family a few years ago who deep fried the turkey for a change of pace. Yum. One advantage...shifted some of the responsibility for cooking to the male side of the family! The guys were all about being hands-on for that process!
lol. i'm still going to do the bag thing. for me, that's the easiest and the birdie stays real moist. i know you're going to have a great time at the lodge.

speaking of realtors, mine just sent me a whole box full of big island candies. omg! it was his "thank you" gift for working with him on purchasing our lot up at MLE. probably going to have to give a lot of it away. tastes so good, but not good for the arteries. i know, i know, they say you can have 1 square of dark chocolate, but those b.i. candies are just too addictive. they're like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
When you give the "guys" a deep fat fryer turkey alternative, don't they have a tendency to burn down the house????? Speaking as a guy, I'ld stick with the imu, the BBQ, or da oven....

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 11-04-2007, 12:17 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
those b.i. candies are just too addictive. they're like potato chips, you can't have just one!

And another reason to love the holidays...Big Island Candies start showing up everywhere...in the office...in gift baskets...

What did you get, Kani?? The chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are the best!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times
Hey you guys! You're all fantastic! Best thread I've been on in a long time! I'm trying to give you all rep points but can only give one at a time! I owe you all!

Kimo

Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
Hey you guys! You're all fantastic! Best thread I've been on in a long time!
I love this place!

I'm in San Diego for another month before I go back to Kailua. I get my "Hawaii Fix" here every day!

Hank

Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
And another reason to love the holidays...Big Island Candies start showing up everywhere...in the office...in gift baskets...

What did you get, Kani?? The chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are the best!
we got dark chocolate mac nuts, milk chocolate mac nuts, rocky road candy and of course, a humungo box of the chocolate dipped shortbread cookies--assorted flavors.

you know, i told you that they are addictive, right? well, i knew i should have eaten just one (yeah, right!) of the dark chocolate candies but ended up eating four. well, i paid for it with a chocolate induced migraine! still have some of the affects this morning. you know what? the pain was worth it! at least i didn't get the nausea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii