Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times

Advertisements

cheaper prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 AM

6 posts, read 15,566 times
I grew up on Oahu from 70-78. At the Ala Moana shopping center, they had penguins and a small slide with water and the penguins would swim and slide. On the upper level, they had cutouts that palm tree grew up from the lower level, you could look down at everyone below shopping. The cutouts had blue bars surrounding them and the trees. My head got stuck in those bars when I was 5 years old. LOL.

Back in the day, the Hot Malasada stands were red and white striped trailers towed by truck.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremiles View Post
Some of my best memories were of spending part of my youth growing up i kahaluu and kailua. The manapua trucks and malasadas. The best curried rice on ala moana beach. I was in the jpo's in school and we would have competitions on ala moana beach. I remember going to kailua beach and bowling for pe in school. I loved checkers and pogo and always wanted to go on the show and be the one picked for the birthday hat. You got too scoop pennies out of a jar. One time they had a promotion thing where you could raise money for a charity and my mom helped me put on a carnival in our backyard. I won a huge bag of different frito snacks. My sister and I took nose flute lessons. The may day activities we would do at school. I don't remember the name of it but their were two long sticks that were held at ground level and we would dance between them while they were knocked on the ground and together. There were a lot of good memories. Going night fishing with my best friend and her dad. Swinging on the banyan trees at the zoo. I still love that zoo. All the big string of firecrackers on light poles that were sat off on chinese new years.
OMG thanks for that. My mom saved bread bags so we could go to the show. I remember seeing the balloon blimp thing they flew in was a model off set, it was about 12 inches long. Talk about innocence lost LOL.

Do you remember the big slide that was in town, you sat on burlap bags and slid down a slide that was about 40-50 feet tall. The slide was made of metal, my brother burned his leg so bad after falling of the bag, he had to go to the hospital.

Last edited by Hapa Haole Brat; 02-02-2014 at 01:31 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 AM

Midget wrestling on local tv. Ultra-man. Sumo Wrestling on tv. Having my parents drive us to a park and see them filming Hawaii Five-O. Finding out that Jack Lord was a real jerk, dad asked for an autograph when the were on break. Dad politley asked and I heard, "I dont DO AUTOGRAPHS, GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE." Only to here my dad yell back, "IT WAS FOR MY SIX YEAR OLD SON YOU SONOFAB***H!" We werent allowed to watch Hawaii Five-O after that, LOL.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa Haole Brat View Post
I grew up on Oahu from 70-78. At the Ala Moana shopping center, they had penguins and a small slide with water and the penguins would swim and slide. On the upper level, they had cutouts that palm tree grew up from the lower level, you could look down at everyone below shopping. The cutouts had blue bars surrounding them and the trees. My head got stuck in those bars when I was 5 years old. LOL.

Back in the day, the Hot Malasada stands were red and white striped trailers towed by truck.
It was an unique time to be a kid in honolulu. You maybe talking about pearlridge shopping center regarding the penguins before phase 2 construction of the mall. Never the less both Ala Moana & Pearlridge shopping centers were awsome for our small kid time.

Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i, Mahalo for sharing your memories. Not alot of people on here remembers that far back.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa Haole Brat View Post
OMG thanks for that. My mom saved bread bags so we could go to the show. I remember seeing the balloon blimp thing they flew in was a model off set, it was about 12 inches long. Talk about innocence lost LOL.

Do you remember the big slide that was in town, you sat on burlap bags and slid down a slide that was about 40-50 feet tall. The slide was made of metal, my brother burned his leg so bad after falling of the bag, he had to go to the hospital.
Yes i heard that jack lord was a jerk.

Heres something you might remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OvqzbBfK8
Paradise park?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times
Drive in Theatres!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualei78 View Post
Drive in Theatres!
Aloha, Howzit? Welcome to CDF Hawai'i. Mahalo for your post.

See if this sparks some old memories?

Hawaii's Waialae Drive In - YouTube
Waialae Drive In just before demolition.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Howzit? Anyone rememba snack foods or comfort foods here was a few from our small kid times.

EXCHANGE ORANGEADE FROM HAWAII - YouTube
Rememba lunch

Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
There was this food cart we always got ours from by da zoo. ono

Botan Rice Candy with Free Sticker, JFC Int'l - Japanese Candy & Snack Food Tasting - YouTube
Rice candies not gone but was still good

Zippy's Chili & Chicken Mini Mixed Plate Mililani Oahu Hawaii - YouTube
Lol you can tell i live mainland now, but you can't find it beta den zippys fo stiky rice an chilli.

What was uz fav grindz?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
I really liked the Rainbow Drive-In that you recommended to me the last time I was on Oahu. It was REALLY good and the prices were GREAT!

As a keiki living in Hawai'i, what do you miss the most thats not there anymore? u wantted to share with your keiki-img_2811.jpg

http://rainbowdrivein.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii