Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times

Advertisements

I'm over here on Oahu after my accident on Kauai. Lived on Kauai from 1969 to 2008 but I don't know anyone on this forum that has been here that long to be able to relate to things on how they were on Kauai. I will say that with the never ending restrictions on fireworks New Years and the 4th aren't anywhere near what they use to be...not even close.

What I dearly miss that is no longer on Kauai that I would have loved to have shared with my kids was living in Hanapepe back then. Before the Swinging Bridge became a tourist attraction we use to catch Samoan Crab off the bridge. Then of course the beach; diving, swimming, camping, fishing (Salt Pond and that's still there).

Movies at the Hanapepe theater with the real Kung Fu movies from China, and instead of pop-corn they sold shave-ice, boiled soy beans, some candy and seeds. Then we all go to David's Saimin stand on the corner and have his homemade saimin. The last time I saw the theater it was boarded up...the same with David's stand.

Attending old style Luaus in Kekaha...ooooohh; can those people party. Rose Kanahele, you out there?

My most favorite was going to the Hanapepe River mouth each season. The whole town would camp to catch O'opu... Everyone brought food, drink, love.

Most of these things are now only memories for those of us still walking the earth from that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Mahalo tyvin, great post. Even thou we grewup different island i still feel your loss. I myself was very sad to hear that all of the ethnic and small independent movie houses in oahu have been torn down or closed. I myself remember almost every weekend going to the liberty intell they closed, then the empress, golden harvest and toho theater to watch chinese kungfu and old samuri movies which we were crazy about.

But the above wasnt the only movie houses that i went to, i remember cinematic and like alot of others seeing Star Wars for the first time, or the queen b4 they went xxx. Or the king. I also remember going to wikiki 3 to see the omen, posiden adventure, planet of the apes, king kong, the towering inferno, etc. That was such a neat theater with palmtrees and stars on the ceiling. I heard the last one to go was the varsity. Its sad to see all that unique local culture gone. The experience is what is gone, which no corporate theater chain can reproduce. Cont on next post.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 07-23-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM

(cont from above post) The ethnic theater in Hawai'i were also very unique, when i moved to Oregon i wasn't able to find anything like it.

Ok so if your like myself and sometimes remember little kid time and it brings a tear to your eye? Let me share a gift a walk down memory lane. See if these kickstart your memories. Aloha.

Empress theater - Midlife Crisis Hawaii

Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM

I just heard that another local place just closed down.

Byron's Drive-In, by the airport. I remember small kid time my mother and i would eat at a drive-in restaurant before we went to Waialae drive-in theater. Is there any real drive-in restaurants anymore in oahu?

I think ppl forget just how unique Hawai'i is and take it for grantted. I know here on the mainland where i am the true drive-in restaurants where gone 20 plus years ago. Anyway heres a clip to remember.

Byron's Drive-In closing after 47 years of business - YouTube

Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

I think ppl forget just how unique Hawai'i is and take it for grantted. I know here on the mainland where i am the true drive-in restaurants where gone 20 plus years ago.
There is still an A&W Drive-In on Hwy 26 between Gresham and Sandy, Oregon. On nice days, they deliver the food to your car while wearing roller skates!

A&W - 31251 Highway 26, Boring, OR, 97009

As a keiki living in Hawai'i, what do you miss the most thats not there anymore? u wantted to share with your keiki-carshow9-22-07009.jpg

Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
There is still an A&W Drive-In on Hwy 26 between Gresham and Sandy, Oregon. On nice days, they deliver the food to your car while wearing roller skates!

A&W - 31251 Highway 26, Boring, OR, 97009

Attachment 115260
Wow mahalo frosty, will defently check it out. i thought the last drivein was in woodburn.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM

Heres a video about crack seed. just in case ppl don't know.

crack seed! - YouTube

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Gresham and Sandy, Oregon. On nice days, they deliver the food to your car
Those 3-4 days a year must be really special.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Those 3-4 days a year must be really special.
Lol even i have to laugh and agree with that one, spoken like a person who has lived in Hawai'i.

I still have Aloha for you Mcfrosty because you love the local and native culture just like me brah.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
I moved to Portland from Hawaii about 5 years ago to a place called the Indigo off the Pearl District to help a friend with a start up. All glass building. I had sweeping views of Mt St Helen's and Mt Hood. At least I did in September when I moved in. I gave up on Portland 6 months later and I never saw those mountains again. Cheap wonderful place. Weather, not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii