Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,763,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thIsland View Post
Eating at Diner's - chicken katsu with Lilikoi - especially after sports activities.
Aloha, yes sounds like you have some hanabata memories. Hawai'i has always had ono grindz, really miss them. Aloha welcome to CDF-Hawai'i forum. And Mahalo for your imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,902 times

Olomana- Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u - YouTube

Country Comfort - Waimanalo Blues - YouTube

Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Mahalo Mel, i also loved alot of the old hanabata music, and still do. Nice list.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Aloha, Howzit?

Hmmm i was walking by a toystore today, and was thinking how kids today have really cool toys. It reminded me of the stuff we had in our hanabata times.

Do anyone remember these?

SLIME! MATTEL 1970'S CLASSIC TOY SLIME - YouTube

SLIME! MATTEL 1970'S CLASSIC TOY SLIME - YouTube

Atari 2600 commercial December 17 1977 - YouTube

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Features

Star Wars Action Figure Commercial - 1970s - YouTube

Just a small list of stuff i was greatful to get. What were your toys etc.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:10 AM

Aloha, Howzit?

I think sometimes people ask why post stuff long gone from Hawai'i? Is Hawai'i of old better then current Hawai'i? Yes some say and others no. The point isn't to focus on which era was better, but to bring up the oldthings once in awhile reminds us of things gone, different times and feelings. The point wasn't is drive in theaters better then modern multiplexes or etc. But to remind us old farts of the love we shared for Wai'alae Drive-In, or the skyslide of Waipahu or etc. The point was the feelings invoked by remembering and reliving it just one more time. My Aloha for Hawai'i, ohana and the people are tied into my experiences and living the culture. If you have experienced feelings of love for Hawai'i or things Hawai'ian or local share with us Mahalo

Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Aloha, Howzit?

I have always been more of a visual person when it comes to remembering things from my little kid time. So today i was surfing the web trying to find pictures of old places that were stomping grounds for myself when i ran into this ultimate lost ono grindz site. See if some of these places don't jog your memories? Aloha

Oahu Eateries Memorialized | The Tasty Island

Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Aloha,

Wow what a day, its almost November in the mainland and the weather has been good. Kinda spooky, i mean i won't complain but since forever im used to cold, dark, rainy weather here in the N.W. Its spooky because what other surprises are we instore for inbalance in weather? Anyway.

Im sitting here drinking some good Kona coffee and listening to Me A'u Lei by Slack Key Posse and Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u by Palama and some Jake Shimabukaro in between. All puts me in the right mood. Because today i was reflecting how small mainland attitudes and thinking has made its way into my life. Like being impatient, this morning walking to the store i got angry at a guy who was walking down the middle of the sidewalk and walking slowly. Couldnt pass him on the left side or right side(very narrow sidewalk). I have been impatient alot the last month or so. For me thats kinda a stepback in growth for myself because i have tried very Hard in my life to keep my Hawai'i ways alive [1/2]

Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM

[2/2] cont

In my heart. Like keeping the Hawai'ian way of having a laid back/ no care, go with flow attitude. And lots of aloha. I think thats why its important to remember our past in Hawai'i(if your on Mainland) or if your currently living in Hawai'i and if the Hawai'ian lifestyles are disappearing due to modern ways. You can look back at lost time and touch your roots and the feelings associated to that time. Much like a newcomer who moves to Hawai'i and stays to becomes a transplant picks up Hawai'i ways even not being aware of it, the same thing happens to the local who moves to mainland if he/she doesn't feed themselves with Aloha and keep in touch with local ways. This is the contribution that i can give to others and in return keep in touch with Hawai'i ways in my heart. Mahalo for your patience. And if i have been short with you lately or been a okole please accept my apology im a spiritual being having a human experience.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
[2/2] cont

Like keeping the Hawai'ian way of having a laid back/ no care, go with flow attitude.
Try commuting from the west side to town on Oahu during rush hour and let us know how laid back / no care, go with the flow attitude everyone has.

Last edited by whtviper1; 10-23-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Try commuting from the east side to town on Oahu during rush hour and let us know how laid back / no care, go with the attitude everyone has.
Your prob right Whtviper1, these are attributes that local people do try to live by, but unfortunately sometimes we all fall short from time to time, i found this is a path of progress rather then perfection. But i would agree with you that of all of the Hawai'ian islands Oahu is more mainland of all the islands. But aloha starts with one person doing a kind act and it spreads. Aloha Mahalo whtviper1 for your post.

P.S. I would also have to say more mainland people move to Honolulu and Oahu then other islands. Maybe thats why in alot of ways in attitudes and actions its more mainland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii