Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Aloha Kaua, i was born and lived on oahu most of my childhood. I grewup there in the 70-82. I thought it would be good to do this since younger generations, don't know Hawai'i as any different then it is now. Ok i miss local culture like Waialae Drive-In or Paradise Park. Yik lung candies, The superslides, kikaida, kamen riders, ultraman on t.v. Golden Harvest Theater(kung fu movies) Waikiki theater the one that had palmtrees and a fountain in the lobby. Fire works on chinese new year. Be able to climb a banyan tree. Im an adult now thou i don't so much as miss these activities persa, i just miss them to be able to share it with my keiki. So you don't have to have lived in oahu to share. Mahalo Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha Kaua, i was born and lived on oahu most of my childhood. I grewup there in the 70-82. I thought it would be good to do this since younger generations, don't know Hawai'i as any different then it is now. Ok i miss local culture like Waialae Drive-In or Paradise Park. Yik lung candies, The superslides, kikaida, kamen riders, ultraman on t.v. Golden Harvest Theater(kung fu movies) Waikiki theater the one that had palmtrees and a fountain in the lobby. Fire works on chinese new year. Be able to climb a banyan tree. Im an adult now thou i don't so much as miss these activities persa, i just miss them to be able to share it with my keiki. So you don't have to have lived in oahu to share. Mahalo Aloha
I miss Haunama bay without all of the restrictions. My cousins lived above the old snack bar and we used to run wild at night (toilet bowl at night was truly an experience!

My Grandfather was responsible for the beauty of Waikiki #3; all of the scenery was his doing and I loved looking at it all.

Kemoo Farms was a terrific place for Sunday brunch; we would take our Sunday drive (after Church) from Portlock and enjoy the treat. Now, it is tacky shops and a bar that caters almost exclusively to those from Schofield Barracks. I have NOTHING against Soldiers as I was in the Army, my DH Retired from the Army and we were stationed twice at Schofield; I think that made it all the more sad since I knew what it had become.

I miss the wonderful weekend swap meets at the Kailua and Kam drive in. There used to e the best stuff and it was so fun to wander around and find 'new' treasures. It was full to bursting with individual stuff, now the one at Kam is pathetic and the one at the stadium if full of crap.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Aloha, Mahalo sounds like you had a great childhood. Thanks 4 sharing.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I miss Haunama bay without all of the restrictions. My cousins lived above the old snack bar and we used to run wild at night (toilet bowl at night was truly an experience!.
I remember the first time I went, a shark was sort of trapped on the inside. Used to snorkel a lot there, day and night (occasionally). As I recall, there wsas a large cable or pipe that ran seaward down the middle of the bay.

Never could get my self to jump in at the smaller hole and ride in the tube to the bowl, but inside the bowl itself was cool.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Come on brahs and wahines there must be something you miss from your childhood that you wish was still there? that you wish u could share with your keiki? Sorry im terrible writter, Hawai'i and oregon pub schools lol.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Come on brahs and wahines there must be something you miss from your childhood that you wish was still there? that you wish u could share with your keiki? Sorry im terrible writter, Hawai'i and oregon pub schools lol.
Most of the folks who post in the Hawaii forums aren't from Hawaii. A lot of them are haoles from the mainland.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Most of the folks who post in the Hawaii forums aren't from Hawaii. A lot of them are haoles from the mainland.
Lol you right! prob not alot of kama'alina or Kanaka Maoli ppl on line here. Im getting lolo in my old age, why didn't think of that. Mahalo

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM

117 posts, read 344,142 times
Hello, as I explained in a earlier post, I am halfway between a Kamaalina and a Mainland Haole.

1. Father's family is from Hawaii and Father now lives down there again.

2. Was raised during school year on mainland, but spent every school summer in Hawaii. What do I miss that is not there when I vacation today as an adult:

A. Housing Project Manapua truck. When I stayed with Ohana in a housing project, there was a Manapua truck that was a just a small van but had a larger selection and better food then any of the so called Food trucks today. Homemade Fried Hambuergers, Saimain, Bubble Gum and Cartoon playing cards. I blew my allowance there.

B. Castle Park: My summer home was near Castle Park. (Ohana lived in Projects there). I remember the water section and the indoor rides that were so CREATIVE.

C. the Hobby shop at Pearlridge: Few kids have hobbies today, yet I loved to go to the hobby shop after riding the monorail. What keiki does not love the monorail!! I would get model airplanes and rockets.

D. The OLD CHUCK and CHEESE: There was an old Chuck E Cheese up the hill and one near Kam Highway today. The old one had much better food, a world class make your own Sundae Bar, the theatare was actually more high tech and better games.

Mahalo

Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 AM

The Place where they filmed "Lost" used to be a exotic bird zoo" called paradise park. It was cool, for a kid. Alot of visiters. It closed down sometime after i moved. But would of liked to have shared it with my child,

Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
In the 70's, you could drive around Oahu and once you got past Diamond Head, you didn't see much except for a very few little houses on the beach and miles and miles of pineapples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii