Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,275,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you have some suggestions I'm happy to consider them or pass them along.
Thatʻs okay, I've met and chatted with Mark Dunkerley several times over the years and if he can't succeed in making Hawaiian Airlines "more Hawaiian", it's unlikely that you'd be any more successful at it.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Perhaps getting Hawaiian out of and staying out of bankruptcy is a higher priority for him. Just perhaps.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps getting Hawaiian out of and staying out of bankruptcy is a higher priority for him. Just perhaps.
Perhaps. However, before we venture any further on this "Hawaiian Airlines" tangent, let's get back to the "social tips on moving to Hawaiʻi."

Quote:
Jonah, instead of being so cryptic, what do you feel is so different about Caucasian men dating Asians in Honolulu versus San Francisco.
Like "Asians", "Caucasians" are quite diverse. There are differences between a "Caucasian" of mostly Irish ancestry that was born and raised in Hawaiʻi and a "Caucasian" of mostly Italian ancestry that was born and raised in San Francisco. In many instances, the place where a person was raised can have a greater cultural and social impact than one's race and/or ethnicity.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,781,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Perhaps. However, before we venture any further on this "Hawaiian Airlines" tangent, let's get back to the "social tips on moving to Hawaiʻi."

Like "Asians", "Caucasians" are quite diverse. There are differences between a "Caucasian" of mostly Irish ancestry that was born and raised in Hawaiʻi and a "Caucasian" of mostly Italian ancestry that was born and raised in San Francisco. In many instances, the place where a person was raised can have a greater cultural and social impact than one's race and/or ethnicity.
Preach it bruddah lol.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,697 times
Sorry everyone, but I gotta troll here for a minute. I was lurking on this forum b/c we were considering a move to HI, but a little thing called a "baby" got in the way.

Hawaiian by Heart: You are seriously coming off like a schizophrenic. You are talking in circles. I read through this whole thread and was slapping my head after reading your posts. You attack Whtviper when he responds to a thread and you don't like his response. New flash: this is City-Data FORUM. The legal definition of forum (thanks Wikipedia!) is a designated space for public expression in the United States. If you don't want his opinion, find a different venue. Or maybe name your threads something like "Everyone but Whtviper share your chicken skin goose bump talkstories" and you won't have to accuse him of following you around C-D to pee on your campfire.

The haole thing. It's pretty easy to read between the lines that you don't like the white man coming over to "your" (I'm using that term loosely, since you don't live there) land and taking over, but, you never mention the Asian invasion. IMO there is more of an Asian influence on the Hawaiian culture then Western. I don't know if you realize, but the biggest reason for the haole taking your land was Hawaii's strategic military position. It's just a bonus it's a beautiful piece of rock. Sorry, is wasn't to bulldoze your grass huts to build a Starbucks.

P.S. - Please learn the difference between your, you're, there, their, and they're.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM

@chiguygo99,

Hmmm, nothing wrong with opinions or negative opinions. But there is a line between expressing negatively and harassment. Another words, how many times or ways can you say you don't like what someone posts before it just becomes harassment? Further, your way out of bounds on the making this a racist issue on my part (it obvious that you didn't read my threads or don't understand them?) I would say the racist is viper because he said there is no other culture in Hawai'i then mainland western culture. Further, i have no issue with asian culture or asians because for the most part you bruddahs have an ideal of we instead of I, for the most part you respect ohana and community. I haven't seen an asian culture wipe out a nation of people to the point of extinction and total loss of language etc. And continue to try to this very day, all in the name of profit. Haole to me isn't racist or based on skin color, but attitudes and ideals make someone haole in my book. Mahalo Aloha

Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
From Wikipedia:

Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The aboriginal culture of Hawaii is Polynesian. Hawaii represents the northernmost extension of the vast Polynesian triangle of the south and central Pacific Ocean. While traditional Hawaiian culture remains only as vestiges in modern Hawaiian society, there are reenactments of the ceremonies and traditions throughout the islands. Some of these cultural influences are strong enough to affect the United States at large, including the popularity (in greatly modified form) of luaus and hula.

In case one needs help with vestiges:

Basically - only a trace of something that is no longer in existence.

If one wants to say, Hawaii has a more diverse culture than let us say, St. Louis - one could argue that point.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The aboriginal culture of Hawaii is Polynesian. Hawaii represents the northernmost extension of the vast Polynesian triangle of the south and central Pacific Ocean. While traditional Hawaiian culture remains only as vestiges in modern Hawaiian society, there are reenactments of the ceremonies and traditions throughout the islands. Some of these cultural influences are strong enough to affect the United States at large, including the popularity (in greatly modified form) of luaus and hula.

In case one needs help with vestiges:

Basically - only a trace of something that is no longer in existence.
Nearly all traditional cultures remain only as vestiges in modern cultures. Some anthropologists use an artificial "traditional/modern" dichotomy as a heuristic device. However, such a dichotomy tends to overlook the fact that most "traditional" cultures were evolving into "modern" ones. Few cultures remain static or exist in a vacuum.

Quote:
If one wants to say, Hawaii has a more diverse culture than let us say, St. Louis - one could argue that point.
I agree.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by whtviper1

Jonah K responds: I agree.

And i would have to agree as well. Cool we agree on something, let not end there.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,825,792 times
We just got back to Oregon last night and the one thing we have noticed today is that this place is infested with white people! They are everywhere!!!

We enjoy the diversity of Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii