Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM

170 posts, read 292,486 times

Advertisements

I've called all types of businesses getting estimates and I would say 70% don't bother calling you back. I've called companies from movers, painters, flooring contractors, fence contractors, plumbers and others... Some of them I get a hold of someone and they say somebody else will call you tomorrow. A week goes by and nothing. Is this a common thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Guess what Dorothy

Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
A week goes by and nothing. Is this a common thing?
Yeah, pretty much.

Just keep calling - eventually they will tire of all your calls and speak to you.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
If you are referred to the businesses by someone, you could mention their name when you leave a message. Folks that have some sort of introduction get better service than just folks appearing off the street. "My neighbor, Kimo DaKine, said you're the one to call about fencing, give me a call back at...." etc., will get a response much quicker than "I need a fence, call me back". Of course, this then means you need to find someone who knows the folks at the businesses you are calling.

If you are leaving a mainland number, they may not be calling back because it's long distance and their business phones would have to pay for the call. Or they don't recognize the area code so don't want to deal with it. There could be a lot of reasons.

How about going to the businesses in person? That's a good way to get to know them.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Are you calling from an 808 area code number? If not, many Hawaiian businesses will not call back. It's been discussed here several times in the past.

Why not? I've heard many theories. My personal sense is that local businesses learn over time that many calls from mainland numbers are just time wasters, or are from people with aggressive mainland attitudes they don't want to deal with (in re: the title of this thread). I've literally seen tradesmen take their ringing cell phones out of their pocket, glance at the caller ID, then shake their head "no" and push the call through to voicemail. If asked, they'll say something like "California number. Too much hassle."

The reason I asked about your area code is that having 70% of your calls blown off is definitely excessive.

If you call from an 808 number you shouldn't get your calls ignored more than 1/3 of the time.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM

749 posts, read 853,802 times
Could also be, just like on the mainland, Size, size matters to contractors, etc, the little jobs are not worth the potential trouble. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM

170 posts, read 292,486 times
I used both my cell and my 808 land line number. I actually think most people called me back on my cellphone. I left my name, the work that needed to be done and where I was located. Some of the contractors that I spoke too where honest and said they were busy and had a long wait and even gave me referrals. The referrals I was able to get a hold of.

I would say it was mostly the flooring, fence, and plumbers who didn't really get back to me. I guess like trd22 says size matters. Either way... business is business, no matter what area code your phone is. There's a lot of military here who I'm sure don't use an 808 number all the time.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
I would say it was mostly the flooring, fence, and plumbers who didn't really get back to me. I guess like trd22 says size matters. Either way... business is business, no matter what area code your phone is. There's a lot of military here who I'm sure don't use an 808 number all the time.
Absolutely. Matter of fact somebody a while back claimed here that something like 1/4 of the cell phones in use on Oahu have mainland area codes, but nevertheless, as the old saying goes, them's the conditions that prevails.

And the salient point, again, being:
Welcome to Hawai'i, "Land of 1,001 Differences From How You Think It Should Be." ℠

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
I'd say it's very common, even with an 808.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 PM

30 posts, read 42,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Absolutely. Matter of fact somebody a while back claimed here that something like 1/4 of the cell phones in use on Oahu have mainland area codes, but nevertheless, as the old saying goes, them's the conditions that prevails.

And the salient point, again, being:
Welcome to Hawai'i, "Land of 1,001 Differences From How You Think It Should Be." ℠
Lol i love what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: