Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:02 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
......... Hawaiian's interisland fares seem to give everyone sticker shock, .......
Part of that is just that the dollar has lost so much purchasing power. The price of everything has gone up rather sharply.

Just my cell phone bill is $150 a month. I pay that, so I don't see how I can justify balking at $150 to have a pilot and crew fly me over a bit of ocean. I'll admit, I whine about it, but I also accept that the days of the $15 a month phone bill are long gone, never to return.

Wave goodbye to the $39 airfare. The $39 airfare has gone to the land of the $15 phone bill, and I doubt that it will ever return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
All this talk about flying to Kona reminds me that Go also had a problem flying to Hilo:

Go! Airlines Pilots Fell Asleep Because of Scheduling - The Middle Seat Terminal - WSJ

Revelations about overworking their pilots sure didn't help their image (which seems to be a recurring story with owner Mesa airlines).

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just my cell phone bill is $150 a month. ... The $39 airfare has gone to the land of the $15 phone bill, and I doubt that it will ever return.
Um, no. Phones are based on "tech" (computers, radios, binary data) which for now and the forseeable future, keeps improving in performance, and thus costs can go down. The companies you are subscribed to don't want you to figure that out, but it's essentially true. You can get no-frills cell phone service for $10 (mine is $15 for 2 phones, more when I call or text a lot). You can even use your own phone (iphone even) if it's unlocked (out of contract). Google ATT MVNO.

Airplanes are based on fossil fuels, there is just no other way around it for a long time. And fossil fuels are supposedly peaking, which along with market speculation is causing the cost to rise and rise. In Hawaii, interisland air travel is almost a necessity, so it's worrisome to have a monopoly control that market and have really arbitrary prices, such as on that Kona-Maui flight. Everybody agrees that the carriers should not be losing money on inter-island flights, but nor should they be gouging residents to compete in other markets (mainland, Asia). Regulations have their own issues, but I think that threat should be looming over the market in case it cannot sort itself out reasonably.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM

242 posts, read 391,601 times
Looks like the ATR is being phased out at Island Air in favour of the Q400.

http://"www.marketwired.com/press-re...a-1894286.htm"

Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM

569 posts, read 780,028 times
My wife, son and I took the Super Ferry once from Oahu to Maui, just for the comparison and weren't impressed enough that I would have taken it again. We had flown in from the mainland that day and were just using the ferry in lieu of the 2nd leg of the flight to OGG.

On the plus side, it was fun to cruise by Lanai, Molokai and the north side of Maui; all views you don't get to see very often.

On the down side, there was a LOT of waiting around to board and get going. As long as it can take getting luggage onto a plane, loading a bunch of cars onto a ship seemed a lot more involved and time consuming. Being able to walk around the boat without was nice, but it was off-putting to find out the seats with the best views were VIP seats where you had to pay more. Also, there was very little outdoor space, which made it much less of an adventure.

We weren't bringing a car on the boat, so that might have changed the equation, but the extra time involved wasn't worth the little bit of money we saved.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
FYI: The Turboprop flights are generally half the price as the jet prices - especially on a route like Hilo-Kahului.

Just announced,

"Beginning this July, Hawai'i's newest turboprop operation will offer daily flights between Kahului, Maui (OGG) and Moloka'i (MKK); Kahului and Kona, Hawai'i Island (KOA); and Kahului and Hilo (ITO). Also announced is an additional flight between Honolulu and Moloka'i which will also operate for the summer period, increasing its existing service from thrice daily to four times daily between the two islands."

Hawaiian Airlines : Investor Relations : Press Releases

Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 AM

569 posts, read 780,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
FYI: The Turboprop flights are generally half the price as the jet prices - especially on a route like Hilo-Kahului.

Just announced,

"Beginning this July, Hawai'i's newest turboprop operation will offer daily flights between Kahului, Maui (OGG) and Moloka'i (MKK); Kahului and Kona, Hawai'i Island (KOA); and Kahului and Hilo (ITO). Also announced is an additional flight between Honolulu and Moloka'i which will also operate for the summer period, increasing its existing service from thrice daily to four times daily between the two islands."

Hawaiian Airlines : Investor Relations : Press Releases
Good to know. I've never been to Molokai and one of the reasons was because getting there from Maui seemed to be a hassle. Will check it out.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Good to know. I've never been to Molokai and one of the reasons was because getting there from Maui seemed to be a hassle. Will check it out.
Mokulele Airlines also flies Maui to Molokai, as well as other interisland routes.

Hawaii's #1 Island Hopper Airline | Mokulele Airlines

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I happened to notice your favorite airline is not flying today.....at all.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I happened to notice your favorite airline is not flying today.....at all.
You really go out of your way to be snarky, don't you?

It's not what I would expect from a self-described executive of Hawaiian Airlines. It just can't be great PR for the company for an employee to be constantly acting like they're in the hostility industry, rather than in the hospitality industry.

And for the record, since accuracy has never been your strong suit, what I said was that I liked Mokulele's great fares, not that they were my favorite airline. Do I need to go find the exact quote for you?

You've made it clear in the past that you think Aloha spirit is all b.s., and you regularly demonstrate your belief here, creating cognitive dissonance with your company's corporate image and message.

You might want to rethink that position.

And for the record, I really like Mokulele's fares, as a relief from the way Hawaiian regularly gouges people on everyday interisland fares in the same way companies which have have nearly monopolistic control of their markets often do, if they are not filled with Aloha spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii