Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 PM

36 posts, read 95,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myqueen View Post
Let's see if I remember story talking....Once upon a time there was a lttle hapa. here was a time when I lived with my mother's family in Damon Track, which is now Honolulu Airport. I was taken to the Mainland to have a "better life" , tisk tisk...now I have been offered a teaching position at Pahoa HS and was looking for pictures of the surrounding area. Perhaps pictures of the town, school and housing? Any information you could pass along as to where I might find someone in that district to "chat" with would be wonderful
[quote=joe aloha;2319671]once upon a time when my eyes became greyer and my hair became much lighter I visited a place that made me feel alive again a place so majestic I felt I was with God and that place was Kauai[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 PM

36 posts, read 95,769 times
what is life like in honolulu? and on the island of oahu?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 PM

90 posts, read 296,749 times
Oahu is very fast paced. If you want some place like the mainland, Oahu is the place to be.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,569 times
Default hi from Barbados

I am very interested in moving to hawaii with my husband (mature couple) and also my 22 years old daughter who lives in Florida is planning to move.
I would love to begin learning about Hawaii daily facts about prices etc and specially about the university my daughters need to transfer.
Anyhow while we are in barbados you are very welcome
byeeeeeeee
Holgazana

Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 107,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
this incident reminds me of the one involving the pa'akaula family. the altercation took place at the waikele outlet stores' parking lot. the "f-----n haole" slur was used. fists were flying and the caucasian husband and wife received subsantial injuries. the pa'akaula father and son are both serving time in prison. however, it was determined that this case was not a hate crime.
Is this sort of thing common in Hawaii? I've dreamed my whole life of living there, but I'm blonde and blue eyed, I'd definitely stand out as a "haole". Even though I care greatly about the islands, I'd be afraid someone would target me just based on my appearance alone.

What is the best way to handle a situation like that?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha717200 View Post
Is this sort of thing common in Hawaii? I've dreamed my whole life of living there, but I'm blonde and blue eyed, I'd definitely stand out as a "haole". Even though I care greatly about the islands, I'd be afraid someone would target me just based on my appearance alone.

What is the best way to handle a situation like that?
this was a fender bender accident that happened. the local father, IMO, handled the situation poorly. cooler heads would have definitely prevailed in this instance. discrimination, racism and hate are part of every state even beautiful hawai'i. instead of receiving/exchanging insurance information, the parties involved received/exchanged insults and fists.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
The FBI has remained silent on this issue as of this date (March 31) and we have not heard yet whether they will pursue it as a hate crime or not. What we do know is that the attacker was not expelled, which we find astounding. What does one have to do to get expelled in Hawaii? Kill someone? Our daughter is terrified of what will happen when her attacker returns to school after her suspension. Threats have been passed along to her. We are taking steps recommended by the detective on the case to protect her.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 AM

150 posts, read 725,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile2377 View Post
If you are considering moving to Hawaii and you are white...don't do it. The hatred here beneath the surface and off the beaten path is appalling and all too real. We are moving back to the mainland as soon as we can. This is from the family of the girl that was attacked and seriously injured last fall at Waiakea Middle School in a racially motivated attack.

I am and I am - Yeah me I'm a New Yorker and I don't scare easy! I am so sorry about the issue you stated though, but I am still moving, it's not changing my mind one bit.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
After reading all the posts in the Hawaii Forum, it seems that racism is brought up regularly. Not that it isn't an issue here but it seems to permeate a lot of threads.
Jungjohann recently mentioned this fact and stated that was the reason he didn't post as often.
Just a thought. Carry on.
7th

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-01-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
Default Oahu is awesome if your most important needs can be met there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe aloha View Post
what is life like in honolulu? and on the island of oahu?
Have you moved to Oahu yet? If not, let me know. I'd be happy to tell you anything I know (as a former resident). I expect to move back there someday; am currently needed here. Loved it there. Best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii