Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 AM

7 posts, read 35,023 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 AM

7 posts, read 35,023 times
Default youth today!

how about commnity gardens, centers, what about afterschool clubs if they are on Big Island lets get the kids and adults included! mahalo
how about commnity gardens, centers, what about afterschool clubs if they are on Big Island lets get the kids and adults included! mahalo

Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
Quote:
I/m a peaceful gal but i had a few friends from broken homes who considered swatikas another meaning than hatred !
what did they consider it? IMO, that symbol along with nooses remains controversial and will forever put a blemish on world history.

when i traveled to germany years ago, our guide told us that some germans STILL don't believe the atrocities that were committed during the war.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 PM

160 posts, read 485,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koloafam3 View Post
I/m a peaceful gal but i had a few friends from broken homes who considered swastikas another meaning than hatred
Were they Buddhist or Hindu? A friend of mine made me a gorgeous set of Buddhist prayer beads that I will never wear because they have a teeny tiny swastika on them. Probably not visible if you weren't looking for it, but still. For 3000 years it meant life and good luck, but after only a few years of being hijacked by hitler all it means now is hate. Very sad.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Were they Buddhist or Hindu? A friend of mine made me a gorgeous set of Buddhist prayer beads that I will never wear because they have a teeny tiny swastika on them. Probably not visible if you weren't looking for it, but still. For 3000 years it meant life and good luck, but after only a few years of being hijacked by hitler all it means now is hate. Very sad.

i've been enlightended. go ahead and wear your prayer beads.

"The sauvastika sign: This ancient sign is infused with a variety of symbolic meanings, particularly lightning, the sun, the power to overcome evil and universality. The arms of the Buddhist sauvastika point in the counter clockwise direction and the sign is always in an upright "+" postion.

The Buddhist sauvastika is NOT related to the NAZI swastika, whish is recognized by its arms pointing clockwise and the sign being tilted in an "X" position. The Buddhist sauvastika does not carry implication of hatred and destruction."

my point was that the gravesites were desecrated with the swastika symbol.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-03-2007 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM

160 posts, read 485,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
i've been enlightended. go ahead and wear your prayer beads.
Yeah I know the difference between the two symbols, but in my experience, people that see them dont stop to look which way the lines are going. I don't really have any Jewish relatives or friends, but I dont know that if I were Jewish I would stop to look what way the lines went either.
At least here on the mainland, people are usually knee-jerk reaction. I have heard diff about the islands, well see.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Yeah I know the difference between the two symbols, but in my experience, people that see them dont stop to look which way the lines are going. I don't really have any Jewish relatives or friends, but I dont know that if I were Jewish I would stop to look what way the lines went either.
At least here on the mainland, people are usually knee-jerk reaction. I have heard diff about the islands, well see.
well, i never heard of it until you mentioned it. so, i don't know how others would react.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Here is an update on the Waiakea Intermediate Investigation:

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/12/08/local_news/local02.txt - broken link)

Agency to determine if altercation meets the criteria for hate crime

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into the attack on Waiakea Intermediate School student Evelyn Higgins.

I'm not sure that this incident will fall into the catagory of hate-crime, or if it necessarily should, but I do think that it is very wrong that the parents of the girl who was attacked have felt it necessary to take these measures in order to get some action in the situation. Our schools must be held accountable for their responses to these incidents and I believe we need a system that in some form holds parents accountable as well.

I am glad to see that the parents of the child who was attacked are not letting this pass by unnoticed. There is no excuse for this kind of incident. (I would feel the same way if there was any other combination of races involved...I'm not putting focus on this incident because of the races of the girls, but because of the perceived lack of response on the part of our school administrators in cases like these. Our system needs to be examined closely.)

Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM

this incident reminds me of the one involving the pa'akaula family. the altercation took place at the waikele outlet stores' parking lot. the "f-----n haole" slur was used. fists were flying and the caucasian husband and wife received subsantial injuries. the pa'akaula father and son are both serving time in prison. however, it was determined that this case was not a hate crime.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:57 PM

36 posts, read 95,769 times
once upon a time when my eyes became greyer and my hair became much lighter I visited a place that made me feel alive again a place so majestic I felt I was with God and that place was Kauai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii