Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM

206 posts, read 571,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Quartzite, Arizona?

I wish!

I'm stuck with red rocky old Sedona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM

206 posts, read 571,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Good thing you showed up to set everyone straight.
Imagine trying to sort out a move without all of this invaluable input?
Why thank you.

I do my best to help the intellectually less fortunate.

Especially when they are considering a move to a hostile environment.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 22,041 times
Hahahaha! Wow! Well Thank you for all the responses to my inquiry... The good, and the not so much appreciated. Haha! You know, I have noticed an interesting recurring trend in most posts of others considering this move. I am moving, not because I want to, but because I feel it is best. I may not stay but a couple years, who knows, but anytime my children can get with their grandfather would be time and money well spent. If what you have to say isn’t helpful, please move on to the next thread, no reason to be a kill joy or bring down my “Pollyanna”/optimistic ways/views. Anyway *with a giggle* Moving on…

I have decided on the Kona side of the island. (Thank you for your helpful words of advice!) I hate to admit I am quite the Costco junkie I feel much more comfortable being over there. We arrive March 20th, I found the vacation rental we will be staying at for the month, and now have until April 19th to find what we consider to be the right house in the right location for us. I am looking from Kailua-Kona down to about Mokuakae Bay.
Without sounding petty, I am pretty adamant about having an ocean view. I don’t mind moving, but I currently love my view of sunsets along the ocean, and don’t feel that is something I would want to live without. I don’t need direct access to the beach, just a view of it. Being an island, I didn’t think it would be so difficult to find, but surprisingly it is. Probably considered a dumb question, but I cant help but to ask. Why is most of the development set back away from the coast line? I know I have read much about flooding/lava zones but it didn’t appear the area I am interested in is much risk. Or perhaps it is the cost to develop/Invest? Also, I am noticing many of the homes along the coast line are custom homes much larger than I would like.

I really do not want my home to exceed 2000 sqft, too difficult to maintain. Looking for 3-4 bedroom, newer/renovated communities, along the coast line or up on a hill with ocean views, with desired amenities listed initially. So smaller home with beach views, full kitchen and yes….AlI desired amenities still stand despite opinions on “needing” central ac and the cost of electricity. I need my ac! Don’t harp on me.(:Im looking for a house with solar to supplement my usage

I am currently looking through property management sites, craigslist, well really anything with rental properties. Because I know very few of these will be available at the actual time of my arrival, I am c&p onto a word document and pin pointing locations on map for future reference so I at least know where to begin looking. Location recommendations; Send my way.

I am not looking to be judged; nor read irrelevant opinions that arent very nice. Just info/guidance in a positive direction, if you have the abilities.

Would it be in my best interest to begin a new thread in the Big Island section now that I know what island we are moving to?

Thank You to those who do truly offer help!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Oh! A quick add! When I talk about greenery/wildlife, know I live on a hill overlooking, yes the ocean, but one of the busiest interstates in California. I need some plants/flowers surrounding us! Much greenery! No more cars! No more freeway noise!

And hahaha! As for wildlife, I was more referring to sea turtles, dolphins, whales, fish, starfish, sea slugs, crabs, ect.... birds, lizards (my son is dying to see a wild gecko), butterfly and yes sad to say even bugs... Kids love them

My kids personally want to live somewhere they can go out and explore in nature all the time, but mamma still needs convenient access to stores for groceries and toiletries.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy1210 View Post
I need some plants/flowers surrounding us! Much greenery!
The Kona side isn't exactly known for "much greenery" - lots and lots of lava and shrubs, bring up a picture of Mars and you'll get the picture.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Land along the coast is too expensive for most folks to buy so that's why the big houses there. The usual multi-million dollar type houses are built there and then usually just lived in for a couple weeks out of the year as a "vacation home" or "second home". Which of course, then prices almost everyone else out of living along the coast but at least they hire a lot of folks to keep the grounds tidy and the house clean.

A lot of Kailua-Kona is built on a hillside so you should be able to find a sunset view. You could possibly extend your search to Waikoloa, at least for the initial rental.

Once you get to Kailua, it won't take very long at all until you've pretty much seen the available housing areas. It's not that large of an area. Most of the difficulty is finding the "newer/renovated communities", they may not exist - at least, not in an affordable version. There are a few areas that are built out by one builder so they are homogenized, but most of the housing is built one at a time by different owners so they don't really match and they don't really have a "community" sort of feel. No central reason for the houses to be there, no central meeting place, etc. There's areas of housing, not too sure about "community". Let alone "newer/renovated" ones. Possibly Waikoloa, although that's out of your designated search range.

Waikoloa might fit as a community, as well as "The Pines" although The Pines are much smaller duplexes and not much of an ocean view. The new "communities" are those that live behind gates and are multi-million, dunno if that's what you're looking for or not. Holualoa is community like, but not new or even renovated.

Probably the most limiting factor in your search will be the central A/C. Less than 2,000 square feet should be easy, most houses are built pretty small around here. There will probably be greenery, although it will be growing in lava rock and may not be easy to garden, if you were looking to garden. Raised bed gardens work well and a lot of the rocks in the Kona district are easy to stack up to make raised beds.

"Wild" geckos will be living in your house, so your kids should enjoy that. They are usually the small common brown "house" gecko. They are considered lucky to have in your house since they eat mosquitoes and other small bugs so folks don't harm them.

If there's chocolate milk left in a glass, they like to drink that, too.

There are also, I think they are called "gold dust" geckos now being found everywhere on the island. Bright green with red and gold markings on them. They will be in your house helping eat mosquitoes, too. Your kids can also easily find a Jackson's chameleon for a pet, if you want. Either find one "in the wild" or buy one from someone on Craig's List selling them. Kids will frequently get pocket money by finding and selling Jackson's. The chameleons look like little dinosaurs and have a curly tail and turret eyes which circle around and can look in different directions. Your kids will love 'em. They move real slow and change colors, too.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy1210 View Post
Hahahha! Good thing we dont drink milk! Haha! No! With all jokes aside, I definitely understand the cost differences. I will admit, my biggest concern is the cost of electricity. In seeing the difference in cost per consumed kilowatt hour and knowing my usage... Eeek! I have been researching cost of living differences, traveling/shipping expenses, pet quarantine, depreciation in homes and vehicles, for some time now. I feel prepared in that aspect. My father has resided there for sometime now and I have a few friends here that grew up on Kauai that do nothing but encourage my family and this move. I can prepare financially, and wouldnt make this move unless I felt 100% confident in my abilities to provide the necessities. It the unknown "un-expect-its" of a new place I am now trying to take into account.

I was more inquiring about...

Recap of Topics (read above for more details)
1.) Affordable Temporary Housing
2.) Island/Location & Housing Recommendations
3.) Getting Involved in the Community
4.) Slowing Our Lifestyle Down

... Not so much my financials. Though I will say is is refreshing, for I do sense your genuine concern! TY!

Really no recommendations can be made without knowing your budget, and your laundry list of wants is a pricey one.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Thank You! Great feedback! We don’t need to have the abilities to garden, though I will be determined to find a home that is well landscaped. My father assures me, compared to what I am accustomed to and despite the lava rock, I will love the scenery. I have slowly grown to realize I will have to pick my battles (on certain topics at least).

I have a feeling my search will end quickly once I get there, as you say, I will view much of the area quickly. I didn’t even realize how short of a distance it was! From Waikoloa to Honaunau- Napoopoo is a little shy of 50 miles! I don’t mind extending my areas to search. And no. Not looking for a million dollar home. (; Not at his time at least Maybe a Million Dollar *Drum Roll* Guest House

My children were ecstatic to read/see there are Jackson Chameleons roaming free. Of course geckos were a treat, but chameleons are my son’s all-time favorite reptile! (Besides basilisk, you tell me you see them and *My Gosh* he’s going to flip!) Great info and thank you for attaching photos for their enjoyment!

Okay and now to my monthly budget for FOUR people, two adults and two children. I am trying to well over estimate expenses, so please, if I am not accounting for something, plz let me know!

Rent- $2500- $3000 (Though the more affordable the better
Electric- $500 (Prefer Solar)
Propane- $250 (Prefer all electric w/ solar)
Water- $150
Cable/Internet/Phone- $200
Cell- $120
Home/ Auto Insurance- $300
Gas- $200 (We don’t drive much)
Food- $1200- $1600 (We consume only 100% Organic- we eat very little cheese, milk, bread, or processed foods- But meat, veggies, fruit, and spices get very expensive even here and buying in bulk from local growers. Am I underestimating?)
Toiletries/household items- $120

I am not going to lie, even with deciding on staying on the big island… I am still quite partial to Kauai. I think I still might check it out. I like parts of Maui, too… *Uggghhhh!…. Big Island mamma, big island!* Yep, that is me still trying to convince myself!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
That helps alot. Basically your home requirements and budget pretty much rule out Oahu. I have no idea the rents on the neighbor islands. I adore your food budget, and it is probably pretty accurate. If you are on the Big Island you may want to increase your gas allowance due to distances, though I don't know your gas mileage. Electric seems right unless you are able to get solar. Your insurance allowance seems low, and probably won't cover the car by itself let alone renters insurance.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Random Ramble of a Response- You know, surprisingly, Oahu wasn't an inland I considered because I knew the price would be too high. When the kids get older, and if I went back to work in the field, I may have to consider sucking it up and relocate there though. You adore my food budget? haahhah! Well, Thank You! I do, too! Nutrition- Food/Juicing is a big part of our life. Still thinking I might be a little low on my food budget prediction. Anxious to see Gas might go up as well contingent on the location of home to shopping and commuting for entertainment. Right now I spend MAYBE $100 a month @ $3.75ish. I will call around tomorrow and see about insurance costs. I pay less than $120 for home and auto here, hoping by over doubling it I would be safe, but of course not. Now you have me very curious... Annnnnnd.... *Fingers Crossed for Solar* Thx for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii