Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You know that everyone does not talk like that, right? In business, and when communication is essential, pidgin is not used, and if it is, it's a light sprinkling of apropos choices.

I'm not sure what possesses people to try to emulate the patois of the poor and uneducated.
Hawaiian Pidgin is a creole language which evolved as a way for people on the sugar plantations who did not speak each other's language to communicate. Today it is still native to a small number of Hawaiian people who are descendants of those plantation workers, but is used by a larger group as a zhargon (jargon) or "ghetto language" to set the speaker(s) aside from the mainstream.

When used by a non-native speaker it's supposed to convey that the speaker is hip, and in the know, and in some cases to mask what is actually being said. Used in casual conversation between people who know each other it's a kind of an insider-speak, and while a few words and phrases have become popular across the state, its use in business is considered unacceptable, and its use on a public forum like this, where most people won't understand it, is annoying at best.

I think to use it for more than a phrase or two is also a violation of the Terms of Service here, which says:
"English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed."

Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,308,456 times
Hawaiian Poser.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hawaiian Pidgin is a creole language which evolved as a way for people on the sugar plantations who did not speak each other's language to communicate. Today it is still native to a small number of Hawaiian people who are descendants of those plantation workers, but is used by a larger group as a zhargon (jargon) or "ghetto language" to set the speaker(s) aside from the mainstream.

When used by a non-native speaker it's supposed to convey that the speaker is hip, and in the know, and in some cases to mask what is actually being said. Used in casual conversation between people who know each other it's a kind of an insider-speak, and while a few words and phrases have become popular across the state, its use in business is considered unacceptable, and its use on a public forum like this, where most people won't understand it, is annoying at best.

I think to use it for more than a phrase or two is also a violation of the Terms of Service here, which says:
"English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed."
It's really difficult to read pidgin, just like it's difficult to read Caribbean patois when people type it.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It's really difficult to read pidgin, just like it's difficult to read Caribbean patois when people type it.
Rezackly!!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You know that everyone does not talk like that, right? In business, and when communication is essential, pidgin is not used, and if it is, it's a light sprinkling of apropos choices.

I'm not sure what possesses people to try to emulate the patois of the poor and uneducated.
Having worked for a series of state and federal offices in the Hilo area, I can attest to pidgin being spoken a whole lot more than you can imagine and that was to customers (taxpayers as well as to other employees. That wasn't just a word or two thrown about, either. They did, however, when the big guy was around (da boss man) speak more proper English, most of the time. These were not the poor and uneducated - most all had 4 year degrees.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM

48,625 posts, read 35,078,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Having worked for a series of state and federal offices in the Hilo area, I can attest to pidgin being spoken a whole lot more than you can imagine and that was to customers (taxpayers as well as to other employees. That wasn't just a word or two thrown about, either. They did, however, when the big guy was around (da boss man) speak more proper English, most of the time. These were not the poor and uneducated - most all had 4 year degrees.

I have both worked for the State and spoke pidgin. I admit I took liberties with the generalities, but the truth of the concept remains.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,548,673 times
I personally think this is a troll post by the OP and I hope the mods close it. Either that or this OP is extremely ignorant. Something just doesn't add up. Every single person I've ever heard try to speak pidgin that doesn't come naturally sounded like a fool. You can tell right away if someone is faking it. They might not tell you but it's obvious. When I went to school on the mainland I went easy on the pidgin slang but I still know I sounded a little different than the locals but I just accepted that and I didn't try to sound like someone who grew up on the mainland (I know very general). Just like if I moved to England I wouldn't try to imitate the British accent or if I move to a predominately black or white or hispanic area I wouldn't try to talk like them, since attempting to do so will make me sound foolish. Besides, being different is good sometimes. Whatever happened to just being yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii