Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times

Advertisements

More disharmony in a viper thread, not surprising. This thread gave me gas...

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Considering the price of gas, that may not be all bad?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 PM

182 posts, read 356,557 times
As someone who posted that I found a couple of threads oddly similar . . .

Several years ago I was in an email group for parents who had adopted from China. The list was "private" in that only members could read and comment on posts, but membership was very easy to obtain. Anyone could pose as an adoptive parent and were easily granted membership (there were over 400 members; only about 30-40 people regularly posted). One year a person became a member and used the list to collect data for her dissertation (in Communications). When list members discovered their messages had been used they were horrified and angry, and wanted to sue, but the member who collected the data had done nothing illegal. The messages were not private, even in a so-called "closed list."

So, when I read a couple of threads here that sound quite similar in some ways, or read that for a while there were nearly weekly posts from someone claiming to have $10K and a dream of moving to Hawai'i, it just makes me wonder - it is curious. I make no judgments about posters or their reasons for asking questions on this forum. Maybe they truly want and/or intend to move to Hawai'i, or maybe they're just collecting information for some other reason. Who knows? Maybe they're collecting data on how people respond in a somewhat controlled communication situation.

Whether I find someone who posts here wise, kind, funny, irritating, annoying, rude, lacking in aloha, or whatever, I still give thanks for the lack of group-think. The variety of opinion here is refreshing, whether I agree with it or not.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 AM

67 posts, read 159,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Maybe there are No Real New Posters anymore, maybe the great Aloha Paradise Myth has finally reached the mainland, nice place to visit but.......that's what we want to tell these Real or Fake Posters isn't it?
No, I think that some of us want to say that we love living in Hawaii. I am not disillusioned. I am still awed by this amazingly beautiful and bountiful state. I hope that people who really want to live here find their way. I love the climate. I love the forests, the ocean and the volcanoes. I love Puna and other areas of the state. I love the people and their diversity, the transplants, the local born, and the tourists. I love the land and the water dwelling wildlife. I love the history. I could go on and on; however, there are other necessary "disclosures" that need to be made to potential residents. There are situations that might be unique to Hawaii and even isolated to individual areas that mainland residents might not think to consider. Resident posters feel obligated to point these things out. It is only right to point out the pros and the cons. Posters are asking for help to make a serious life decision. Because response posts might be harsh does not make them false.

Also, I was scolded one time on CD for pointing out an outrageous, obviously fake post. I was told that respondents are always to assume that the questions are serious and sincere and respond accordingly.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I honestly don't know why it's wrong to call out the obvious fake threads. They are so obvious.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I do find it interesting that OD thought I was referring to him. Wonder why??
Now you're being disingenuous. You said in the opening of this thread "I'm pretty sure I know who is responsible for the fake threads on moving to Hawaii as eventually this person chimes in with a "where is the Aloha," and I had just posted a "where is the Aloha message," etc., etc. Then there is the fact that you had accused me of "being" other posters before. It gets tiring dealing with your personal attacks and all the other junk you come up with. It really does.

And let's get it straight... I'm not obsessed with you, I'm not jealous of you in any way, and I've never stalked you or anyone else, here or anywhere. And obviously I didn't need to. Like others I've known your identity since early on in your time here, because you made it very clear with all your humble-bragging about your supposed C-level position and the health records project at UH Hilo that brought you to Hilo every Monday and Tuesday for so long. Remember? The story was in the local papers several times at various stages, and on the UH website, so it seemed like you really wanted everyone to know who you were and how important you were, at least until the project ended. Then much later you started it up again with more of the same last spring, when you let everyone know you'd landed at Hawaiian Airlines. And again, the press release was in all the local papers, so even people who didn't know who you are before would find out, whether they wanted to or not. I remember tripping over that release when I was reading a story about a shark attack in Kona and the blurb about your hiring was right next to it. I laughed at the placement.

Nor am I jealous of you. I wouldn't trade for anything. My life is blessed. I have a deep, satisfying spiritual life. I'm fundamentally happy in life. I greatly love people, I love to be of service to others, and I'm loved and appreciated by many. Why would I want to give that up?

My request, again, for the Nth time, is that you just leave me out of whatever you're up to here. Your constant bullying and mocking and snark and negativity and personal attacks are anathema to me. Seriously.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantcuriosity View Post
No, I think that some of us want to say that we love living in Hawaii. I am not disillusioned. I am still awed by this amazingly beautiful and bountiful state. I hope that people who really want to live here find their way. I love the climate. I love the forests, the ocean and the volcanoes. I love Puna and other areas of the state. I love the people and their diversity, the transplants, the local born, and the tourists. I love the land and the water dwelling wildlife. I love the history. I could go on and on; however, there are other necessary "disclosures" that need to be made to potential residents. There are situations that might be unique to Hawaii and even isolated to individual areas that mainland residents might not think to consider. Resident posters feel obligated to point these things out. It is only right to point out the pros and the cons. Posters are asking for help to make a serious life decision. Because response posts might be harsh does not make them false.
Awesome. I'd just add that while reality can be harsh, there's no reason to be nasty about sharing that information with people.

Quote:
Also, I was scolded one time on CD for pointing out an outrageous, obviously fake post. I was told that respondents are always to assume that the questions are serious and sincere and respond accordingly.
Yes, the appropriate response to a post you think is outrageous or fake or spam or whatever, no matter how obvious you may think it is, is to use the triangle icon in the upper right corner to report it to a moderator, and let them deal with it.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
This entire thread is further evidence on the deteriorating state of mental health care in Hawaii. Fortunately, Kailua is a short walk to Kaneohe.

Uuuurrrrppppp

(May as well admit it, I started all the fake threads. I'd do it more often, but I'm only allowed into the multi purpose room once a week. And typing is a bother, what with the restraints and all)

Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Hmmmm, could the usual 'use the search function, question has been asked and answered many times' blah blah first response to nearly any question detract from real posters with real questions?

Plus, it probably doesn't help when new people get sent private messages telling them to put "certain people" on ignore...

Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM

198 posts, read 386,948 times
ummmm.... what does it matter if someone who has no concrete intention of moving to Hawaii starts a thread on moving to Hawaii?

This is a forum that is open to almost all discussion regarding Hawaii. I do not see a problem.

Live Pono.

Pipe down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii