Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
private messages telling them to put "certain people" on ignore...
The plot thickens.................................

Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hey, I vote with JungJohann, we need more computers in the multi-purpose room! It would add tons to the entertainment factor around here, don'tcha think?

What about the oddball yet not fake folks moving to Hawaii? Remember awhile back about the female person who was going to move to Hawaii for a "dolphin assisted birth"? Only in Puna would folks want a carnivore assisting in a birth. Ack!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hey, I vote with JungJohann, we need more computers in the multi-purpose room! It would add tons to the entertainment factor around here, don'tcha think?

What about the oddball yet not fake folks moving to Hawaii? Remember awhile back about the female person who was going to move to Hawaii for a "dolphin assisted birth"? Only in Puna would folks want a carnivore assisting in a birth. Ack!
I remember that! That one cracked me up. Too bad it probably was real.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The only two sane people on here. Only goes to show what living in Hawaii for over 35 years will do to ya...

That alone should convince folks on the mainland to stay put

(somehow that didn't come out quite right... Damned restraints)

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
ummmm.... what does it matter if someone who has no concrete intention of moving to Hawaii starts a thread on moving to Hawaii?

This is a forum that is open to almost all discussion regarding Hawaii. I do not see a problem.

Because it skews what is realistic and possible and becomes mostly wrong information.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Because it skews what is realistic and possible and becomes mostly wrong information.
Look Viper, if ANYONE is using info from this website as their sole determining factor for moving to Hawaii they shouldn't be allowed out of the multi purpose room to begin with.

Get over yourself

Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Apparently, the person who had the dolphin access died before the mom-to-be arrived so it didn't happen. But it sounded like they were gonna try it if they could! Images of fish thrown to dolphins after they jump through hoops with those rows of teeth just keep jumping into my mind.

And the mother-to-be and her significant other were getting the money to do the whole thing by having a moving party with a band and charging admission, I think it was. How come we don't get more posters like them anymore?

Maybe we should make a concerted effort to be over the top with the "living on the beach in a grass hut supported by a part time bar tending job" schemes and all the other rainbow farting unicorn concepts so we can encourage other interesting folks to post about why they want to move here. Especially now that the poor suckers are up to their eyeballs in snow. Most of them won't ever move here, but a virtual move may cheer them up.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
How about just a balanced approach. Tell the truth about costs and jobs with aloha but at the same time work with the dreams, we forget unless you were born in Hawai'i most people moved to Hawai'i on the passion of a dream they had for themselves only. Nothing wrong with having your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds. Some of my ohana after living in Hawai'i for decades to this day claim Hawai'i is a magical place. Now is that because they are delusional? or because they haven't forgotten to be a dreamer and look at life with the passion and joy or awe as a child would? Something to think about.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Especially now that the poor suckers are up to their eyeballs in snow. Most of them won't ever move here, but a virtual move may cheer them up.
Yes, we're moving into prime snow-crazy season now. March has always been heavy on this forum with "dreaming aloud" posters, and I expect the Polar Vortex will open up new territories for us this year, but so what? They don't hurt anybody, the information people here give them can be useful to others, and they're easy enough to ignore if they're "too obvious."

And from a practical perspective, it's much more effective to lay out the obstacles or the "harsh realities" in a respectful, co-operative way so that they can reach their own conclusions about how wise a move to hawai'i might be for them. Attacking them for being naive or misguided or hopelessly optimistic simply hardens their resolve, and only drives them away from this forum. That's just human nature.

We've seen over and over that people can make the right decision for themselves when they're given the facts, and allowed to consider them in peace. And if the decision they make is different than we would wish for them, or than we would make for ourselves, so what? Different strokes for different folks, remember?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Different strokes for different folks, remember?
Yes, I do remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0CYJNw9YJQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii