Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,968,946 times

Advertisements

I was flipping thru the mobile Huffington Post at lunch today - essentially it was more or less bashing the southern US in terms of poverty, advancement, healthcare, etc - and yep, it looked pretty bad if you are in the South.

But what I found interesting is things are pretty good in Hawaii:

In terms of percentage of population in poverty, Hawaii is doing very well compared to the bulk of the US. Oahu's 10% is among the best in the nation (BI jumps to 20% though) - the state overall comes in at 12%, which compares favorably the top tier of least impoverished states.

USDA ERS - County-level Data Sets: Poverty

Another interesting statistic, climbing the ladder. They keep statistics on if you are in the bottom fifth of income, what are the chances of you rising to the top fifth. Oahu comes in ok again, at 10%, beating places like Chicago, LA, Boston, Portland, and NY. Honolulu ranks #9 in absolute upward mobility in the top 100 metro areas.

Equality of Opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 PM

317 posts, read 749,203 times
Kind of ironic...

Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
My personal experience backs that up. I worked my way from a cashier to pretty well paid jobs in administrative/financial management. I always tried to learn everything about where I worked, and become a valued employee.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,531,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
....Another interesting statistic, climbing the ladder. They keep statistics on if you are in the bottom fifth of income, what are the chances of you rising to the top fifth. Oahu comes in ok again, at 10%, beating places like Chicago, LA, Boston, Portland, and NY. Honolulu ranks #9 in absolute upward mobility in the top 100 metro areas.

Equality of Opportunity
I would hazard a guess that is due to the manner in which companies in Hawaii try not to hire people from the mainland, unless that person has a skillset that they simply cannot find locally. In Hawaii, its all about who you know and who you are related to.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
In Hawaii, its all about who you know and who you are related to.
I agree, especially in times like the economic downturn in 2008. With unemployment so low right now, pretty much anyone can get hired (at least on Oahu) - I'd say well over 50% of the new hire management employees in the past year where I work are from the mainland due to the low unemployment rate.

People aren't available.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,775,225 times
Guys im not completely unreasonable, Anytime you put in an hr of work you rising up. As i was saying the ideal that 10% of the bottom fifth of income, have a chance of rising to the top fifth, thats 1 person out of every 10 who work just as hard and makes all the same good choices as the top fifth, will make it. Thats not good odds. I would then assume that it would be 2 of every 10 who will make it to a middle class income right? But its great thats better then most of the country. But it doesn't do all that great for the betterment of everyone.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
As i was saying the ideal that 10% of the bottom fifth of income, have a chance of rising to the top fifth, thats 1 person out of every 10 who work just as hard and makes all the same good choices as the top fifth, will make it. Thats not good odds. I would then assume that it would be 2 of every 10 who will make it to a middle class income right? But its great thats better then most of the country. But it doesn't do all that great for the betterment of everyone.
The article doesn't say - if 10 people work just as hard then 1 out 10 will rise to the top fifth. It simply says, 1 out 10 will rise to the top fifth.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,354 times
That is very true. It's interesting that stats-wise, NY ranks lower. But in NY, if you're good at what you do, you get hired and promoted. In HI, if you're good at what you do, but from the mainland or have the wrong look, you make $9/hr answering phones. Period. So the yuppie element completely depends on ethnicity.

whtviper1, I like the stats, but I'd believe them a little more if I hadn't been told at so many interviews that no one would ever hire a "haole chick."

Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtobegone View Post

whtviper1, I like the stats, but I'd believe them a little more if I hadn't been told at so many interviews that no one would ever hire a "haole chick."
Many companies have told you this? Even knowing that in a lot of cases, companies prefer to hire locals, I would be shocked if you were sitting in interviews and you were told that once, let alone a lot.

Trust me, the state is filled with employed haole chicks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtobegone View Post

Hmmm, the only time I ever hear that term is on this forum and Hawaii Five-O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii