Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Didn't everyone through out history culturally bring from the place from which they came and isn't that part of what makes Hawaii so great today?
What makes Oahu great today? Besides being Hawai'i? Anyway i believe we have discussed this in great detal before. Theres a difference between bringing something to contribute and making it a part of a melting pot to feel more like home and just making everything be like home.

To be fair i should say oahu. Because that the best example.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What makes Oahu great today? Besides being Hawai'i? .
Well one thing I love about Oahu is that I get to experience the best of all the many different people who have came to Hawaii and brought with them some of their culture. To me, Oahu feels like a true melting pot.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Well one thing I love about Oahu is that I get to experience the best of all the many different people who have came to Hawaii and brought with them some of their culture. To me, Oahu feels like a true melting pot.
I always have to agree with the people being diverse. But the point im making is can you honestly say that the Hawai'i lifestyle is prevalent as it was even 10,20 years ago? We have a poster here who hasn't been home in 40 years who just returned to oahu and discribed the traffic to being in L.A unlike what he experienced before. I admire your constent positive thinking, But the changes in Oahu were not to blend culturally or to be diverse, but to max profits and change things for that purpose.

Like i said before sure Oahu is still gorgeous, im sure i would fall in love with Modern Hawai'i because im connected to the aina and sure i will run into old locals with the aloha spirit etc. But also like others older who remember what Oahu was i will grieve 2.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
But the point im making is can you honestly say that the Hawai'i lifestyle is prevalent as it was even 10,20 years ago? We have a poster here who hasn't been home in 40 years who just returned to oahu and discribed the traffic to being in L.A unlike what he experienced before.

...like others older who remember what Oahu was i will grieve 2.
The same could be said of many places. My brother who is 15 years older than me used to race around all over Oregon raising hell in the 70's. By the time I was old enough to drive, there was way too much traffic and I would never think about acting the way he did. Flash forward to now and WOW! What a difference!!!
So, I see what you mean. I wish Oregon was the way it was back when I was a kid and I would have loved to have seen what it was like when my brother was a child.
All this said, Hawaii is still a wonderful place. If Oahu has grown too much for you Hawaiian By Heart, then you should check out some of the other Hawaiian islands.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,084 times
Quote:
The same could be said of many places. My brother who is 15 years older than me used to race around all over Oregon raising hell in the 70's. By the time I was old enough to drive, there was way too much traffic and I would never think about acting the way he did. Flash forward to now and WOW! What a difference!!!
So, I see what you mean. I wish Oregon was the way it was back when I was a kid and I would have loved to have seen what it was like when my brother was a child.
All this said, Hawaii is still a wonderful place. If Oahu has grown too much for you Hawaiian By Heart, then you should check out some of the other Hawaiian islands.
See the report below from Texas A&M.

It's not just Hawaii, Oregon: it's everywhere. Texas is an extreme example.

The report says the state’s worsening traffic gridlock is driven largely by a rapid growth in population without a corresponding growth in roadway space. The number of registered vehicles in Texas has nearly tripled — up 172 percent in the past 40 years — while highway space has grown by only 19 percent during the same time.

Drivers on the 1,783 congested road sections endure a total of 570 million hours of delay each year, 34 million of which are caused by trucks. Those same trucks account for $2.6 billion of the overall $12.6 billion in total delay costs.

Researchers also note that this year’s analysis underscores how congestion is affecting more Texans with each passing year.

Along with the traffic growth is a major change in race majority and minority: with Hispanic being the majority.

Living in the Houston area, its traffic, and hoards of people is something we don't want to do again; thus, avoided Oahu.

Last edited by Due; 09-06-2014 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
The U.S. military used their islands for military testing and practice; now they all are coming over for the free healthcare, housing, etc... or so it appears. They're two sides to every story. What prompted them to do this mass move because it seemed like one day nothing, than the next the whole place was covered with Micronesians. You can recognize them due to their distinct features (and the t-shirts and long colorful skirts the women wear).

In Hawaii, that's how we identify people by their appearance, race, etc... so it's not racist to call them what they are. I think that so many real local families are hurting now that it stings to see all these new people getting what appears to be a free ride, just by coming over here. Why they no stay home and receive the benefits (I'm sure there's a reason). I think that's a big part of the issue.

I agree with Hawaiian by Heart...

I don't care about Texas and all the other places, I too grieve as well; only my heart is on Kauai. Kauai has not been that changed as far as local people keeping it real though it's gone from under 5,000 people on the island to now; I think it's 68,000 (lots of Filipinos). I now live on Oahu; it's melting fast... but will move to the mainland soon to join others who have moved since we can no longer afford to stay here.

I truly do hope that the Hawaiian lifestyle is alive and well here on Oahu and that it will flourish to eventually include all that are here; but it takes 2.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Easily one of the most racists posts I've ever seen tyvin. Easily.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Easily one of the most racists posts I've ever seen tyvin. Easily.
How so viper?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
How so viper?
If they were blasted with Nuclear Weapons from the US - seems the least we could do is hang out with them, give them healthcare, and housing. Jeez

Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 PM

I have never been to Micronesia and so I'm wondering, are they bringing any good food with them? Have there been any Micronesian restaurants open up yet and if so, what's the food like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: