Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times

Advertisements

Hawaii Public Radio has been doing broadcasts about racism against Micronesians. I haven't seen this because we don't have many Micronesians on Maui but apparently it's serious on Oahu, and even institutionalized. Healthcare professionals discriminate against them, kids are bullied at school, etc. I find it surprising because Filipinos don't seem to face any discrimination and are even generally accepted as "local". Yet Micronesians are more closely related to Polynesians!

micronesian | Hawaii Public Radio-HPR2

No Aloha for Micronesians in Hawaii - Civil Beat

I don't believe the distinction between "Micronesian" and "Polynesian" is geographically or culturally valid.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11002202

Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
I've been hearing the same program. Perhaps some heightened awareness will help.

I have heard a few negative things about microneisans here, but have never experienced anything first hand...so I have no personal opinions on the group myself.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I find it surprising because Filipinos don't seem to face any discrimination and are even generally accepted as "local". Yet Micronesians are more closely related to Polynesians!
I've always found that interesting as well. I mean, that Filipino get that 'free pass' to be Hawaii native, without questioning too much about it.

I hadn't really heard about Micronesians and discrimination before. That's a new one for me. Interesting.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 AM

569 posts, read 780,293 times
Until seeing that map, I never really knew what Micronesia covered...or that New Zealand is considered part of Polynesia

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
There is definately some tension between many Hawaiians and Micronesians living in Hawaii. The United States has an agreement with Palau, the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia that allows those citizens uninhibited entry into the United States without Visa requirements and access to state funded benefit program.

So as I understand it, there has been tension over the cost to Hawaii citizens to fund health & education benefits for the citizens of Micronesia who have been coming into the State.

This link to an article is a little old and some of the numbers are a little old as well. But using numbers from 2007 it places direct cost to the State of Hawaii at $100 million for Health Care of which the Federal Government paid only $10 million.

So I think the tension that exists has less to do with race directly, and more to do with the burdon being placed on Hawaii citizens and their tax funded benefit programs being accessed by citizens of Micronesia coming into the state specifically for those beenfits.

Health Care for Micronesians and Constitutional Rights

I don' think this is too different than immigration issues facing many other states today. Except that the Federal Government has set up agreements with Micronesia to allow their citizens easy access into Hawaii and access to benefit programs, while not providing additional funding to cover the added expense. So the citizens of Hawaii pick up the expense.

I just think the issue has way less to do with "racism" and much more to do with the strains placed on the Hawaii state run programs due to a Federal agreement with Micronesia.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
I think that all those things you mention make people angry, and it becomes racism. I'm sure many of the people that are racist towards Micronesians couldn't say "Oh, I'm not racist, here's information about health care benefits that shows why i'm really mad", they wouldn't be familiar with any of the points you mentioned. It starts hate and hate spirals. I'm drawing from something someone told me in Kona (and chime in if you know what I'm talking about, because i don't) that the reason they get benefits and visas waived has to do with them allowing us to use their land for military purposes in the past? If that's not the reason, there must be SOME reason we give those benefits to people from Micronesia. The US just doesn't hand out wishes like fairies. Perhaps instead of hating on (racist or otherwise) a specific type of people, the people of Hawaii should hate the folks that made that deal in the first place, or advocate for change, etc, not individuals.

But there's racism (call it what you want) everywhere, in parts of Canada they had the Newfies and in Guam they hate Filipinos, etc.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
I'm drawing from something someone told me in Kona (and chime in if you know what I'm talking about, because i don't) that the reason they get benefits and visas waived has to do with them allowing us to use their land for military purposes in the past?
It's complicated, but partly it's in response to US testing scores of nuclear bombs in their region during the cold war era, leaving many inhabitants with radiation related diseases. And the US got the right to build military bases wherever it wanted to, in this important Pacific Ocean defense zone, in return for militarily protecting the area as if it were US territory.

If you want to dig into the background, here's a collection of articles on the Compact of Free Association from Honolulu Civil Beat...

Compact of Free Association Archives - Civil Beat

Briefly, the current issue dates back to the "welfare reform" of 1996, when the Federal Government stopped paying for the Medicaid benefits of Micronesians, effectively dumping most of the load onto the state.

Quote:
"According to U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa’s office, Hawaii spends more than $100 million annually for housing, education and health care for COFA migrants but is only reimbursed $11 million by the federal government. The analysis doesn’t take into account the amount of taxes that COFA migrants contribute to the state.

Court: Hawaii Doesn't Have to Give Micronesians Health Care - Civil Beat
That same article details the court decision in April that said that no, the State is not obligated to pay for their care. But that matter is by no means resolved yet.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Im probably going to get stink about this but i don't think its all that complicated. The new guy always gets stink and garbage thrown there way. Also i believe another thing that has changed in Oahu is people have became way to sensitive. Im not justifying racism but growing up a right of passage and a form of bonding for locals was to make fun of each others races. It was done in good fun, but you could always tell the difference by the way it was said.

Also, i believe there is anger about being powerless about changes and watching your home not be your home anymore. Each new wave of people represents further changes. I believe its not aloha or wanting to welcome others that is the issue if they assimilate and become part of what is local or hawaii culture. But unfortunately most want to move from and bring from to the new place.

Anyway there is no doubt there is some racism, there are angry and sad people no matter where you go. In time all will be accepted.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
I know ive postted this b4 on several threads but its a good reminder.

♫ Mr. Sun Cho Lee ♪ (with lyrics) ♫ Keola & Kapono Beamer - YouTube

With populations skyrocketing and living on an island i believe its important to remember how past local generations got along and learn from that.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I believe its not aloha or wanting to welcome others that is the issue if they assimilate and become part of what is local or hawaii culture. But unfortunately most want to move from and bring from to the new place.
Didn't everyone through out history culturally bring from the place from which they came and isn't that part of what makes Hawaii so great today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: