Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:34 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I have never been to Micronesia and so I'm wondering, are they bringing any good food with them? Have there been any Micronesian restaurants open up yet and if so, what's the food like?
Keep in mind that "Micronesia" is quite diverse and that Chamorus, Chuukese, Palauans, Marshallese, Yapese, Nauruans, Pohnpeians, Carolinians, etc. have unique cultures, languages, and diets. The only commonality in "Micronesian" food is Spam, canned fish, chicken, rice, noodles. coconuts, sugar, salt, and a few assorted vegetables. Of all of the different Micronesian cuisines, Chamoru food, such as kelaguen mannok (chicken cooked with lemon juice, grated coconut, onions, and hot peppers), is probably the most popular. While there are no "Micronesian" restaurants in Hawaiʻi, there is a food truck on Oʻahu that serves up some Chamoru dishes.
Firehouse Food Truck - Kaimuki - Honolulu, HI | Yelp

Old 09-09-2014, 01:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So what - why would they be more entitled to live in Hawaii than a Micronesian?

Just because you are born in a state doesn't give you some basic right to live there forever.

If it is expensive - they should move, whoever it is.
I would say that Hawaiians do have a right to live in their ancestral home, and people being driven out by high cost of living is a tragedy.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I would say that Hawaiians do have a right to live in their ancestral home, and people being driven out by high cost of living is a tragedy.
It's less tragic to be driven out of one's ancestral home by a high cost-of-living than it is to driven out because the U.S. Government decided to use that home to test nuclear weapons.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It's less tragic to be driven out of one's ancestral home by a high cost-of-living than it is to driven out because the U.S. Government decided to use that home to test nuclear weapons.
Micronesians aren't the ones increasing COL

Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If they were blasted with Nuclear Weapons from the US - seems the least we could do is hang out with them, give them healthcare, and housing. Jeez

so what about giving that same benefits to the local people, wasn't a nuclear blast, but the very same thing happened here in Hawaii as it did to bring them here.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
There are MANY native Hawaiians that live here in Oregon and other states. They are welcomed here with opened arms and I agree with you it should be a two way street. So, people moving to Hawaii should also be welcomed with opened arms. By the way, almost all the native Hawaiians that I know who have moved here to Oregon did so because they like what Oregon has to offer and wouldn't move back to Hawaii. To each his own. Live where you want to live.
Why did they move to those states? could it be that the people who came here and brought their cultures and ideologies and changed Hawaii to what they wanted, that the local people need to leave, because its not the Hawaii they know or want.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Where, in the Hawaiian Islands, are most of the Micronesians living?
they were at Kakaako..... homeless!! Oh wait the city evicted them from the side walks.... hmmmm......

Old 09-14-2014, 04:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Why did they move to those states?.
The thing I hear the most is that they love having four different seasons and being able to drive to other states for vacations. I don't totally agree with them but everyone can love what they love and live where they want to live.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:

What the heck are you talking about?

I was asked, "Why did they move to those states?" My answer was, "The thing I hear the most is that they love having four different seasons and being able to drive to other states for vacations."
Let me finish your statement ok so we have a full picture.

I don't totally agree with them but everyone can love what they love and live where they want to live.

? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: