Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPearls View Post
You do realize that you said "all the ports are open," and you do realize that you were wrong. And surely you do realize that news reporters often spin things. Your Hawaii news source is not presenting the big picture.
I said it? I believe the Hawaii Star Advertiser said that. Which by the way, posted the article after the Portland article. But, from the grocery stores here - I'd say - nobody is scared about anything going on in Portland.

How many container ships come from to Hawaii via Portland via the largest shipper in Hawaii (Matson)? None.

How many container ships come from to Hawaii via Portland via Horizon? None.

How many container ships come from to Hawaii via Portland via Pasha? None.

It is, what it is. Seriously, nobody cares in Hawaii what is happening in Portland except feeling bad about the rain.

You probably won't like this Hawaii story either:

West Coast port action by PMA ends today - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"The order also specifically exempted Hawaii shipments, which were not impeded over the weekend. Matson, the dominant maritime shipping to Hawaii, has its own terminal at Long Beach, Calif., which was not affected by PMA's weekend action."

It probably didn't rain in Portland this past weekend either - (it did)

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-10-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:18 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Well, I guess the port strike must be over, since it's obviously no longer the topic here.

What would happen in Hawaii with a true 100% West coast dock strike? Wouldn't Oahu start running out of food within a day or two? Should there be some sort of massive disaster which takes out all the West Coast docks, what would Hawaii, especially Oahu, do? Although, if it is enough of a disaster to take out the docks - earthquake, tsunami, etc., then Hawaii would be affected as well. Perhaps we should suppose some sort of solar flare that takes out all the electronics, so then the ships wouldn't be moving but we'd not have the mess of a tsunami.

To what point do we rely on imported goods for actual survival? Can folks be stocked up enough to do without imported goods for a month? Would the government step in and start air lifting goods? Can they even airlift enough stuff?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

What would happen in Hawaii with a true 100% West coast dock strike?
Long before we started starving in Hawaii, you'd have Presidential Executive Orders, Mediations, Court Orders forcing the ports open.

Quote:
Should there be some sort of massive disaster which takes out all the West Coast docks, what would Hawaii, especially Oahu, do?
In the unlikely event a natural disaster impacted every West Coast dock, you'd have waivers or repeals of the Jones Act, allowing shipments to come direct from Asia. Shipping can still occur via the Panama Canal.

Quote:
To what point do we rely on imported goods for actual survival? Can folks be stocked up enough to do without imported goods for a month?
I would hope everyone has stocked up goods/bottled water. You never know when the next earthquake may hit. 30 days of food doesn't take up much room - think things like canned goods/soup.

Quote:
Would the government step in and start air lifting goods? Can they even airlift enough stuff?
Airlifting alone cannot bring in enough quantity to sustain Hawaii but can be used for emergency goods.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii is exempted and it is not news here.

Hawaii goods still flow despite West Coast labor strife - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"PMA exempted Jones Act carriers, however. And that exempts all the Hawaii shipping lines - Matson, Horizon and Pasha - as well as cruise ships"
Thanks WV - good to know. I've been offline so I missed your original response. I have a lot of family still there, so always watching. But we don't always get the local Hawaii news here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPearls View Post
. Source?
You do realize that you said "all the ports are open," and you do realize that you were wrong. And surely you do realize that news reporters often spin things. Your Hawaii news source is not presenting the big picture. But of course you insist on deflecting from the fact that you you stated something wrong, because your ego is so overblown in this forum.
Chill TP - I'm the OP and my question was about HAWAII, which, you may notice, was in the Hawaii Forum. "All ports open" to me means that all the Hawaii ports are open. That was my question. I wasn't asking what your opinion of another poster was, nor did I intend to start a flame war by someone out of state using ad hominem attacks.

Quote:
Well, I guess the port strike must be over, since it's obviously no longer the topic here.

What would happen in Hawaii with a true 100% West coast dock strike? Wouldn't Oahu start running out of food within a day or two? Should there be some sort of massive disaster which takes out all the West Coast docks, what would Hawaii, especially Oahu, do? Although, if it is enough of a disaster to take out the docks - earthquake, tsunami, etc., then Hawaii would be affected as well. Perhaps we should suppose some sort of solar flare that takes out all the electronics, so then the ships wouldn't be moving but we'd not have the mess of a tsunami.

To what point do we rely on imported goods for actual survival? Can folks be stocked up enough to do without imported goods for a month? Would the government step in and start air lifting goods? Can they even airlift enough stuff?
We had one of those dock strikes way back in the 80's and then the United Airlines strike when they were the only game in town (not sure on dates.) I remember empty shelves and people's hallways lined on both sides with paper goods (TP, Paper Towels, Paper Plates, chopsticks) and back halls packed with bags of rice and canned goods. I also remember shopping in Longs Drugs on Sept 12, 2001 and having a woman start shopping from MY cart. (Gave her stink eye and she put it all back...)

Who knows what would happen now? It depends on the circumstances. As far as any major disaster on the West Coast (earthquakes or major storm damage to the California shipping areas) who knows? Oahu has come close on a few occasions where it looked like the Matson Terminal or the HNL airport was going to get hit with hurricane winds. That would also be a disaster. I do know that with so many military bases, Hawaii may have an advantage over some other islands. The military will ship food and supplies in because they need their troops and families to be ok. Since about half the islands have someone in the military, we could actually be ok.

Long time residents have stocked up. I know when we were watching the lava flow on the Big Island last month they showed one house that was evacuating and they had two vans full of emergency supplies. When you live on an island, you just get it. My friends in AZ don't understand why I stock up on paper goods, water, canned food, first aid kit, etc. It comes from living through 2 hurricanes, several dock and airline strikes and the aftermath of 9/11. Experience is a good teacher!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Thanks WV - good to know. I've been offline so I missed your original response. I have a lot of family still there, so always watching. But we don't always get the local Hawaii news here.

Chill TP - I'm the OP and my question was about HAWAII, which, you may notice, was in the Hawaii Forum. "All ports open" to me means that all the Hawaii ports are open. That was my question. I wasn't asking what your opinion of another poster was, nor did I intend to start a flame war by someone out of state using ad hominem attacks.

We had one of those dock strikes way back in the 80's and then the United Airlines strike when they were the only game in town (not sure on dates.) I remember empty shelves and people's hallways lined on both sides with paper goods (TP, Paper Towels, Paper Plates, chopsticks) and back halls packed with bags of rice and canned goods. I also remember shopping in Longs Drugs on Sept 12, 2001 and having a woman start shopping from MY cart. (Gave her stink eye and she put it all back...)

Who knows what would happen now? It depends on the circumstances. As far as any major disaster on the West Coast (earthquakes or major storm damage to the California shipping areas) who knows? Oahu has come close on a few occasions where it looked like the Matson Terminal or the HNL airport was going to get hit with hurricane winds. That would also be a disaster. I do know that with so many military bases, Hawaii may have an advantage over some other islands. The military will ship food and supplies in because they need their troops and families to be ok. Since about half the islands have someone in the military, we could actually be ok.

Long time residents have stocked up. I know when we were watching the lava flow on the Big Island last month they showed one house that was evacuating and they had two vans full of emergency supplies. When you live on an island, you just get it. My friends in AZ don't understand why I stock up on paper goods, water, canned food, first aid kit, etc. It comes from living through 2 hurricanes, several dock and airline strikes and the aftermath of 9/11. Experience is a good teacher!
I will agree that after moving here I have developed a greater awareness of the susceptibility of our supply chain and that has brought out a certain "prepper" mentality I didn't previously have. Definitely one benefit to having catchment water, in an emergency, I have 40,000 gallons on tap; barring of course a collapse/damage from an earthquake.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Of interest: Pacific Business News has a new poll that only 51 people have answered so far (unscientific, but still an indicator) showing that about 45% of the respondents have been affected by the dock strike. Business Pulse Poll: Has your business been affected by the work slowdown at the West Coast ports? - Pacific Business News

Here's another article on the effect it's having on grocers Delays caused by West Coast ports a mixed bag, Hawaii groceries say - Pacific Business News

Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM

They had a story on the news last night - the current slowdown is delaying the latest Matson shipment by only one day. From a grocery store perspective, at least here on Oahu - the shelves are completely full, at least at my local Safeway.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Most of the stores are stocked that i go to, as of now.
But if the shipments keep getting delays. Like every other day. You might, i say again, might start seeing
some of the empty shelves. Like what is going to happen tomorrow. One day of work. No shipping over the following three day weekend.
News tonight Air cargo adds extra flight, Chinatown stores weigh in on slowdown. Link below:

Air cargo adds extra flight, Chinatown stores weigh in on slowdown | KHON2

Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 PM

These pictures taken this evening wouldn't be possible when we had potential hurricanes last year.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM

268 posts, read 383,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
These pictures taken this evening wouldn't be possible when we had potential hurricanes last year.

Hey, that TP is cheaper than here (mainland)! Wonder what it would cost to ship it from Hawaii to here?

Must be the dreaded Single Ply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii