Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

Further, think about the cultural differences between asian, native hawaiian and local hawaii vs mainland or european culture. What are the traditional cultural values of all of them? Are they traditionally opposite from eachother in reference to asian, native hawaiian and local vs mainland or european? Isn't being humble better then being a braggert? Isnt being soft spoken have more value then loud? Does the group dynamics become more important then the individual? These are just some examples? Does the squeaky wheel get the grease?

Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
It's really interseting that there are so many layers to terms used to identify "others". I think we mainlanders are so used to those that developed within the United States to understand that not all labels are as caustic as the ones used on the mainland against African Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans etc... I don't see haole as being anywhere in the same league as those types of epitaths.
And once you start seeing how the Micronesians/Marshalese are viewed by the locals, you realize that haole is just one facet in a very diverse and interesting cultural web.
I had a girlfriend in Seattle who was half Japanese and half Korean. She educated me on the whole Asian heirarchy culture. I was blown away that other Asians would just come up to her and ask "what are you". It wasn't viewed by her or the person asking the question as a slight, is was just the way their culture operates.
Hawaian culture can be very intersting and I find the more time I take to study the history of the islands, the more sense a lot of it makes.
Same here. As a person who left the U.S., in the 1990s....I pretty much accept whatever label people have for 'foreigner' or whatever else. It doesn't bother me at all.

But, I have consistently overheard or had to listen to tons of other 'foreigners' get super riled up abroad at being called a gaijin, waygook, or whatever else.

To me, it has no meaning. If I can call them 'korean' or 'japanese', they should be able to call me 'non-korean' or 'non-japanese' in their own language. I've never understood why some gaijin or waygooks get so worked up over it.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Further, think about the cultural differences between asian, native hawaiian and local hawaii vs mainland or european culture. What are the traditional cultural values of all of them? Are they traditionally opposite from eachother in reference to asian, native hawaiian and local vs mainland or european? Isn't being humble better then being a braggert? Isnt being soft spoken have more value then loud? Does the group dynamics become more important then the individual? These are just some examples? Does the squeaky wheel get the grease?
...and those cultural differences really are HUGE.

As a 'haole' in Asia...I do see 'haole' counterparts here, who come across extremely arrogant, selfish, self-centered, etc. I don't like it at all. Nor do I like to listen to it.

It repels me, and it repels people culturally who also don't like it.

On the other hand, I've heard 'haoles' in Asia, who say the exact opposite...'they don't stand up for themselves', 'they need to be more assertive', 'they need to say F-off once in awhile'...on and on.

To me, I find that things are way more productive and better if people just work with each other, be nice to each other, etc...without the "I did this" and "I did that"..and "LOOK at ME!"

In short, I definitely see what you are saying...

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same here. As a person who left the U.S., in the 1990s....I pretty much accept whatever label people have for 'foreigner' or whatever else. It doesn't bother me at all.

But, I have consistently overheard or had to listen to tons of other 'foreigners' get super riled up abroad at being called a gaijin, waygook, or whatever else.

To me, it has no meaning. If I can call them 'korean' or 'japanese', they should be able to call me 'non-korean' or 'non-japanese' in their own language. I've never understood why some gaijin or waygooks get so worked up over it.
Political correctness and ridged thinking of truth and Manifest destiny are ingrained into mainland culture. But every culture has its benefits and liabilities.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM

[quote=Grassyknoll;39062251] Hawaian culture can be very intersting and I find the more time I take to study the history of the islands, the more sense a lot of it makes.

Yes i agree, i love your attitude. One has to be willing to be part of to understand it. Hawaii culture is wonderful.

Ok im going to be quiet right now. I really don't want to dominate this thread.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,232 times
After living here for 4 years now I agree with the OP with a couple points to add:

1. I've NEVER heard anyone that was not Caucasian called Haole. Same as the other poster mentioned, the derogatory version of the word is akin to negative slang for other races on the mainland. But as Hawaiian by Heart mentioned, the word has dual meaning. I have heard is spoken in an almost affectionate way. In my limited experience, Haole is always used as a term to describe a Caucasian. But depending on how it's stated it can be positive or negative.

2. Asians from the mainland are assumed to be local, and get a free pass on a whole ton of social graces that are only cautiously granted to haoles. Just the way it is.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:04 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
It is only derogatory when "stupid" or "f'n" is in front of Haole. It is the same as Pake, Portagee, Kanaka, Popolo, etc.; it is the word in front of the name that matters.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I 100% definitely agree with that!

I'm non-phased by it as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
It is only derogatory when "stupid" or "f'n" is in front of Haole. It is the same as Pake, Portagee, Kanaka, Popolo, etc.; it is the word in front of the name that matters.
Bingo! Replace any of those with a mainland, non-offensive label such as Cannuck, Okie, Mexican, Texan, Californian, New Yorker etc... and the inoffensive becomes offensive.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Oh boy, another "haole thread."

As I stated in previous "haole thread" over three years ago, there are several academic studies and books dealing with racism and haoles in Hawai'i. Elvi Whittaker's "The Mainland Haole: The White Experience in Hawai'i", Michael Haas's "Institutional Racism: The Case of Hawai'i", and Judy Rohrer's "Haoles in Hawai'i" cover the topic ad nauseam.
The Mainland Haole: The White Experience in Hawaii - Elvi W. Whittaker - Google Books
Institutional Racism: The Case of Hawaiʻi - Michael Haas - Google Books
University of Hawaiʻi Press -Haoles in Hawaii

Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
In my opinion, calling a Caucasian a "haole", is pretty much the same thing as calling a Hispanic person a "beaner", a Chinese person a "*****", and an African American person a "******". In other words, it's a totally unacceptable negative term for a certain class or color of person, and definitely a pejorative.

Of course, I imagine that any non-Caucasian Hawaiian local with disagree with me, but it's still my opinion, which is as valid as anyone else's. I think it would be better to not use such terminology for the sake of peaceful relations. After all, "*****", "beaner", and "******" are definitely NOT acceptable terms to call people. Why should "haole" be any different?

Calling someone haole is not on par with those things. Context is usually important. Bear in mind we call Chinese Pake and African Americans Papolo, but it's all out in the open and usually in regards to humor. I'm hapa haole, so I'm a light brown, and we do not really have anything they call Mexicans, which are my peeps. My chinese friend said I am more pake then he is, because I'm so clean. If I get tan, someone my comment that I'm looking papolo. Have a blonde moment? What are you portagee??

Haole is different because it means without breath.... white. When someone asks me what high school I went to (Hawaii bonding 101). I say I'm haole, went to school in NorCal.

On Perry and Price guy came on and said we can fix the zipper lane just get all the kanakas and soles and have them PUSH. Funny. Not racist.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii