Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
An asian is a banana, yellow on the outside white on the inside. Its not derogatory. They'll all laugh their heads off and say Sorry excuse me.
^^^ This is NOT funny. And it is derogatory.

Note to OP: Please do not believe everything you read on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM

42 posts, read 53,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
^^^ This is NOT funny. And it is derogatory.

Note to OP: Please do not believe everything you read on here.
Hi Hoot my suggestion would be goto YouTube and punch in Hawaii comedy or comedians and watch videos for a afternoon. You will see Hawaii comedian legends like Frank Delima , Rap Reiplinger, Andy Burmatal and Auggie T Etc make fun of every race on the islands and they made fun of locals and haole too. Alll were equal opportunity comics. This is Hawaii, now of course you still have to have common sense with the humor. You can't just walk up to a stanger Polynesian or anyone and out of the blue make a racial joke about his race and not get beef. But if u went to school with the person and grew up with him then most likely you have grilled each other in good humor about each other's race. It's part of the bonding process like rough housing growing up. Now how you say things also counts. But that's part of common sense.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:38 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Da Bruddahs take local comedy to an entirely different level.... But, dey Portugee, no can help................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbh9hHwOM0

Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnipotent_HEROiNe View Post
thank you guys for all the replies. keep em coming!

how much does making a new license cost and how long will it take?
should i just not do it and just drive the 3-4 months without a u.s.a license, but an european union one? .
I would not bother getting a Hawaii license. It's legal for you to use a foreign license up to one year. Don't know about the time period in getting a license. Be sure to register right away and keep the safety check and insurance up to date because the cops don't mess around on these issues.

Sounds like you really are looking forward to rolling in some nice, luxury rides. Maybe Arizona would be a better place to go, as you can actually drive places from there. By the way, gas in Hawaii is about the most expensive in the nation.. But that's tolerable because you can't drive very far.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:40 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAina3 View Post
Hi Hoot my suggestion would be goto YouTube and punch in Hawaii comedy or comedians and watch videos for a afternoon. You will see Hawaii comedian legends like Frank Delima , Rap Reiplinger, Andy Burmatal and Auggie T Etc make fun of every race on the islands and they made fun of locals and haole too. Alll were equal opportunity comics. This is Hawaii, now of course you still have to have common sense with the humor. You can't just walk up to a stanger Polynesian or anyone and out of the blue make a racial joke about his race and not get beef. But if u went to school with the person and grew up with him then most likely you have grilled each other in good humor about each other's race. It's part of the bonding process like rough housing growing up. Now how you say things also counts. But that's part of common sense.
I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, that you can find a Youtube video of offensive, racial, derogatory humor.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:15 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Shootz, been "bananas" for years. Or FOBB instead of FOB. That's Fresh Off the Banana Boat, instead of merely Fresh Off the Boat. Try "Pidgen to Da Max", I think they are up to their twentieth or thirtieth anniversary by now.

Hey, OmnipotentHeroine, (aka OP), how about buying a nice new European car and then driving it enough to get it to be used and then shipping it to Hawaii and selling it? Check how much a new European car would be there, how much it would sell for in Hawaii and find out how long you'd have to drive it to make it used so it wouldn't have to pay the new car import tax. Might be profitable to bring one and sell it.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I would not bother getting a Hawaii license. It's legal for you to use a foreign license up to one year. Don't know about the time period in getting a license. Be sure to register right away and keep the safety check and insurance up to date because the cops don't mess around on these issues.

Sounds like you really are looking forward to rolling in some nice, luxury rides. Maybe Arizona would be a better place to go, as you can actually drive places from there. By the way, gas in Hawaii is about the most expensive in the nation.. But that's tolerable because you can't drive very far.
Gas is the most expansive in the nation. Takes you about two hours to drive around the Island of Oahu. If you don't hit any traffic?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Banana is what we used when they were from the mainland, and FOB when they were immigrants.

The reason it's not considered derogatory in Hawaii is because we use those terms in conversation and to you. Like my Chinese friend telling me I'm more Pake then he is.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
i thought they were JOJ!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 19,820 times
I would NEVER buy a new car. no soul, looking fugly as hell from the inside..2005 is new enough for me a Lexus LX470/Toyota LC100, 99-05. i will drive for ten years with it and the next owners another twenty, everybody enjoying the vehicles comfort, durability, DEPENDABILITY etc.

the w140 s-klass coupe is also a beast in the department of being built for 1.000.000 miles drviving, no problem. so are the e-klasses from that era, w124. and s-klasses that were before that (w126, 78-89).

i think i will just buy myself one parking space in advance, since i plan on living in a highrise, not a house.

and gas prices is the LAST of my worry. where i live now (Tallinn, Estonia, Europe) its about 4-5x the cost of 95E gas.

thats why i feel soo good buying a cadillac eldorado asap with a 8.2 v8 with a measly/ridiculous 285kw. EU machines get that much from a 4.0 DIESEL.
but i do love the feeling of floating in that 70s boat, Cadis, Olds, couple of more..
since they are by far the cheapest on the island since htey are US cars and mad gas guzzlers i will buy a few of them and then just park them on the street near wher ei live and go and burn gas and drive around the beatiful island taking up lots of road everywhere and getting the same look a 150.000$ MB or BMW or Audi gets hahaha. i love those mad 70s USA cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: