Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 19,838 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I would like to know the approximate cost of living in Hawai'i.
late 20s,male,want to own at least one car (Toyota Land Cruiser, 100 chassis)
and some funky 70s Cadillac-boat with a 7.3 V8 or something outrageous like that. I mean, the gas is SO cheap over there compared to where i'm from, i'd feel i would just be pissing on a great opportunity to drive a gas guzzler around and not even feel it in my wallet.
i dont want a house. never lived in one, i prefer apartments.
what are the approx.costs for apartments that are about 60 sq m2 and in a highrise, if possible.
if a white person moving from anywhere to hawaii is going to be called a haole, whats the name for an asian person not born in hawaii?

thank You in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Which island? That makes a difference. On Oahu you'd have to factor in parking for your cars as well as an apartment for yourself. The other islands have more room for parking.

Check Craig's List for apartment rates, that's the most used space to advertise them.

Well, it depends on what type of Asian person, not all Asians are the same. There are even different names for different types of Pacific Islanders. For some reason, though, most light skinned folks are called haoles, no matter if they're European, Portuguese, French, English, etc., they're all lumped into one category. Which seems strange, since Japanese are not Chinese who are not Korean who are not Filipino, etc., and they all have their own separate category. But the basic categories are "from here" and "not from here".

Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 AM

hello hotzcatz, thank You for the reply!

I am thinking Oahu, most probably, as Maui seems a little too costly and too full of ... elderly people. I wont be working or going to school so I can live anywhere I want as I dont have to worry about any commutes. My daily schedule is different each day and 100% set up by myself. On top of that, I'm a night person who usually wakes up 2-4pm and goes to bed 6-9am. I hope there are stores that are open 24/7 on Oahu, surely? that's again one thing about Maui-I'm afraid it will be just too boring and 'lonesome'.

about the cars: i will mos. def buy a car for myself. it will actually be the first thing i'm going to do as soon as i get to Hawaii. I want a Toyota LC 100 for the 1st and primary car as its such a beast when it comes to reliability and its super comfy and VERY offroad-capable. Having an old 70s U.S. boat is just a silly dream as there are no U.S. cars here where I live other than ones by U.S.A car freaks who all have that Southern flag planted on the back of their vans spare wheel trunk. Why not a flag of the U.S.A? Well I guess it's because they are the kind of people who will look at you sideways if you are even 10% dif. looking than them. if you have diff. color skin? well you might as well start running and hollering as they will make it their mission to catch you and stomp you to death. unfortunately im not kidding either..im sure you know how "nice" Russians can be to outsiders. I dont live in Russia, but in a previous SSSR republic, which is now the most successful country of the ex-soviet bloc and a regional silicon valley. Tallinn is really nice but the climate just doesnt suit me, even though i've been born and bred here. It's just so damn cold and dreary all the time. Just go check wikipedia for the climate chart for TALLINN, ESTONIA and be in awe of the amount of sunlight we get Dec/Jan - about 15hrs per month! Thats of course because we live so far up, I'm only about 300miles from the actual Arctic Circle. Santa lives in Finland in a region called Lapimaa. Over there its like 6 hours of sunlight per month in Dec and the temps are below freezing for a good 6 months. Over here it can be anywhere between 2-5 months.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 AM

927 posts, read 758,919 times
An asian is a banana, yellow on the outside white on the inside. Its not derogatory. They'll all laugh their heads off and say Sorry excuse me.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 AM

10,556 posts, read 7,755,116 times
And I thought Santa lived in the Alaskan community of North Pole!
In Hawaii, vehicles are taxed by their weight. So, a behemoth LC will cost you maybe $300 in registration. Auto insurance is very expensive too. Off roading opportunities are fairly limited on the islands.
Arising at 2-4PM in Hawaii means that most of your waking life will be in the dark. Honolulu is probably a good choice.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:42 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa&...a.27s_Workshop

"Korvatunturi has long been known as Santa's home, and two theme parks, Santa Claus Village and Santa Park are located at the Arctic Circle in the municipality of Rovaniemi."

i have NO CLUE why my copy/paste from wiki turned up like this (with a bunch of weird links. usually they are just random words leading nowhere on the web but right now it looks downright broken and NASTY haha
lol
yes i know, for the western world (and i dont mean Europe) the children get told north pole. but over here, its always "up north" and that would mean Rovaniemi, FINLAND for .. id say 80% of ALL European Union and Europeans in general.I'd never even heard that DENMARK lmao are trying to claim a santa village. their winter is 40f during day 35f during the night hehehe. Never heard abut .no or .se claiming any santa villages neither.
It has always been about the ARCTIC CIRCLE and the Santas Village, which is right on the arctic circle. i dont know know, which is further, the north pole or the arctic circle, but the circle should be somewhere around 65 degrees North.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 AM

actually isnt .HI more or less 12/12 year-round in terms of darkness/sunlight? i mean it might be 12/10 or 14/8 during another m onth or two but it should be 50/50 more or less. so i think its pretty cool if it gets dark during the same time EVERY night, all DAY, every YEAR i hate the 4hours to 24hours we get over here. from May to September its ALWAYS somewhat light outside, the most during whole month of June and first half of July. if light bothers you, you need HEAVY curtains. doesnt bother me sleeping, it just gets real old for me. i like the darkness, actually

Old 11-03-2015, 09:51 AM

160 posts, read 287,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnipotent_HEROiNe View Post
if a white person moving from anywhere to hawaii is going to be called a haole, whats the name for an asian person not born in hawaii?
Growing up in the islands we called them "katonk(s)." There was a variation of this word for Pak'e (Chinese) born on the mainland - but it's probably not appropriate for this website!
Mr. Yamagawa told me the 442 RCT boys from Kaua'i used to call the Los Angeles nisei "katonk(s)" during WW2...something about all the scuffles they'd get into with the mainland boys when they were stateside training before shipping over to Italy.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:54 AM

10,556 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Yes, that's right about the daylight. It only varies by about an hour or so in either direction from season to season in Hawaii. Latitude is around 20 degrees.
I also prefer the tropics over northern latitudes for sleeping. On the other hand, it's nice to have a lot of daylight hours for outdoor activities in the north during the relatively warm season.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 PM

thank you guys for all the replies. keep em coming!

how much does making a new license cost and how long will it take?
should i just not do it and just drive the 3-4 months without a u.s.a license, but an european union one? i know most peole get off when showing cards like: ID-cards, driver ids from foreign countries. they just look at it and say ok, is how most have described it. what is Your take on this?
can anyone recommend a good auto shop? full service, if possible, meaning engine, transmission, suspension, electrics, diff.cooling/heating systems, rims/tires etc.
since i will be buying a car that will be '05 newest (toyota land cruiser 100's were made between 1999 and 2005), so it will still be a car that you can get taken care of in a shop and not strictly in a dealership. i will forever keep driving cars from the 90s up to early 00s. and from 80s and 90s ofc, the best cars!

and since it will be u.s. and gas will then be 5 times lower than ever before, for me , i will be also buying a nice luxury coupe, a mercedes-benz s-class, w140 chassis. very sturdy and meant to last a 1.000.000 miles, most can do 3x that. for real. same with that periods e-class, w124. classic cars. i will be buying the cl600, since there are only 5.0 and 6.0, why not go all out and get the v12. i know they are cheap ashell because if anything breaks..it will be very very costly. thankfully i can get parts sent from EU body shops and spare part stores, where they are MUCH less for ANY EU cars like BMW, MB, Audi etc. maybe ill even also get an old e32 chassis BMW 750iL if i see one for dirt cheap. i hope parking cars in the city streets is ok? i plan to live in an apartment, most definitely. i dont mind having to search for a parking space or anything like that. i just like to have lots of old cars laying around, all drivable ofc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: