Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They are just being prepared for adult life in Hawaii
I agree and it's unfortunate. Schools should be setting an example for clean living.
Instead, some classrooms include large refrigerators; gramma's old sofa; etc..

Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
What I find shocking is that most school districts around the United States are interviewing and hiring right now, especially states with staffing issues. My wife applied to a couple counties in Florida the other day for the heck of it and she has already been interviewed twice, with another two by tomorrow, and they said they will have their decision by the end of the week beginning of next week.

For a state with the worst staffing issues in the United States, Hawaii DOE doesn’t seem all that urgent to fill those positions. She was told she won’t be hearing from principals until sometime in April. I heard if you don’t have a Hawaii license you won’t hear anything until mid to late May. I’m guessing some of it has a lot to do with union rules and so on. They have to wait to see if tenured teachers are looking to relocate to another school first. There is probably a time frame for that. Once the time frame expires then they start placing those tenured teachers to where they desire. Once that is completed then principals reach out to certified Hawaiian residents for open positions. Then those who possess a Hawaii license (my wife) are next to be called, then those who certified, but don’t have a Hawaii license are last. What ever positions are still not filled are filled with non-certified people who have yet to obtain their teaching certificate.

Each school I’m sure is aware of numerous open positions for the upcoming year, but can’t do anything until a certain period of time has passed.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
What I find shocking is that most school districts around the United States are interviewing and hiring right now, especially states with staffing issues. My wife applied to a couple counties in Florida the other day for the heck of it and she has already been interviewed twice, with another two by tomorrow, and they said they will have their decision by the end of the week beginning of next week.

For a state with the worst staffing issues in the United States, Hawaii DOE doesn’t seem all that urgent to fill those positions. She was told she won’t be hearing from principals until sometime in April. I heard if you don’t have a Hawaii license you won’t hear anything until mid to late May.
If you lived here, you wouldn't find it all that shocking.

Your timing may or may not be good with Corona....

On the good - at least for you, I expect real estate to plunge 20% or more.

The bad - The State is already projecting 25% unemployment (I think it'll go higher) - that will put a lot more local potential local candidates into the pool, I expect some of those 25% could be qualified to be a teacher and I suspect DOE will prioritize those candidates over a more highly qualified mainland candidate. I also think despite Federal money coming, furloughs may be in the future, meaning a 20% pay cut.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
If you lived here, you wouldn't find it all that shocking.

Your timing may or may not be good with Corona....

On the good - at least for you, I expect real estate to plunge 20% or more.

The bad - The State is already projecting 25% unemployment (I think it'll go higher) - that will put a lot more local potential local candidates into the pool, I expect some of those 25% could be qualified to be a teacher and I suspect DOE will prioritize those candidates over a more highly qualified mainland candidate. I also think despite Federal money coming, furloughs may be in the future, meaning a 20% pay cut.
It doesn’t matter if the candidate came right out of college with no experience that is a Hawaii resident. It has always been Hawaii DOE policy to take that candidate over the more qualified out of state candidates. The hiring practices of the DOE has nothing to do with Corona. This has been the policy to first move around tenured teachers first who wish to be moved, then start filling positions with certified Hawaii residents, then those with a Hawaii teaching license out of state, then non Hawaii certified, but certified teacher. Last but not least emergency hires of those who are not qualified.

You’re not qualified to be a teacher unless you are certified and have the education. No DOE is going to hire a uncertified unqualified person over someone who is highly qualified, even during a pandemic. It will never happen. Furloughs can happen, but that is a very quick way to worsen an already bad situation. Hawaii has the worst teacher shortage in the United States. Furlough is a last resort. How long do you think the economy is going to be shut down for, indefinitely? It will be sooner rather than later the economy will be back on line and everything will be back to normal.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
How long do you think the economy is going to be shut down for, indefinitely? It will be sooner rather than later the economy will be back on line and everything will be back to normal.
What is sooner rather than later?

Realistically, my optimistic forecast is Hawaii starts opening up on a limited basis around July - unless, this virus really goes seasonal and virtually disappears - or some cure is found. We'd be very lucky if we are open for business by Memorial Day.

Even when it opens back up - it won't be like before - all the jobs aren't coming back especially in the tourism industry. I suspect this virus will have impacts to Hawaii tourism for at least a couple of years.

A lot of people who had the ability to take a Hawaii vacation simply will not have the means to do so in the future.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What is sooner rather than later?

Realistically, my optimistic forecast is Hawaii starts opening up on a limited basis around July - unless, this virus really goes seasonal and virtually disappears - or some cure is found. We'd be very lucky if we are open for business by Memorial Day.

Even when it opens back up - it won't be like before - all the jobs aren't coming back especially in the tourism industry. I suspect this virus will have impacts to Hawaii tourism for at least a couple of years.

A lot of people who had the ability to take a Hawaii vacation simply will not have the means to do so in the future.
The economy will be back on track sooner rather than later. How much economic disruption could there be until that starts having a deadly effect?. I do believe the United States will recover much quicker than other nations and I do see a lot of companies and manufacturers moving out of China back to the United States. It’s also interesting how much bad government debt the Fed is buying up that won’t be paid back. I Honestly see the fall of the central bank.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Sure, in a year or two...….

Maybe
I tend to agree with you. The iron of our economy is starting to cool and get a bit rusty. It might take a long time to get the locomotive of our economy (and hence our nation), back in running trim (If I may use a steam locomotive analogy). When the turnaround comes, do what you can do, i.e. earn as much as you can, and spend as much as you can. Get that money, and hence our economy, and hence our nation and its people, moving again. Regards and fair winds to all.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It’s also interesting how much bad government debt the Fed is buying up that won’t be paid back. I Honestly see the fall of the central bank.
Lets see what happens if Japan wants to cash in the $1.2 Trillion in US Debt it owns - and China has $1.1 Trillion

Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Lets see what happens if Japan wants to cash in the $1.2 Trillion in US Debt it owns - and China has $1.1 Trillion
That pales in comparison to what the Fed is buying up.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,631 times
debt doesn't matter. the government will just print more paper as it's always been doing, and the world will snap it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii