Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 02:40 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I don't know what retirees get for sick days here. I retired in California with 220 unused sick days. Every month I get a check for $220. So one dollar per month, per day.
Meanwhile, California Highway Patrol officers turning in a year's worth of sick time get a one-time check for $100,000.
Which one would you rather have?
That’s amazing that CHP get a $100K for basically a career of not going sick. The NYPD gives guys a pen for never reporting sick through their career. I never understood why guys wouldn’t go sick, especially when you can get another cop sick.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:34 PM

It seems highly qualified teachers are finding a difficult time to gain employment as teachers in Hawaii. I have heard this from several teachers who have tried to gain employment in Hawaii and how difficult it has been. She has had six interviews with schools for open Secondary English positions and turned down by every one for another candidate so they say. One email she received from a principal in so many words stated she is too expensive. People here in the education system told my wife they will most likely hire her as an emergency hire because they lack credentialed teachers and will most likely place her in a position she is not qualified to teach. She called the DOE and asked if principals will select a non-credentialed candidate over a highly qualified candidate. This person hesitated and then stated “they are not suppose to.” I honestly can’t imagine all these credentialed qualified teachers are applying and accepting Secondary English positions in hard to staff areas in the Puna district. These areas are so hard to staff with qualified teachers they give them an annual bonus of $3,000. Now all of a sudden they have a massive influx of qualified credentialed teachers? No way. You figure a credentialed licensed teacher with just a bachelors with no experience starts out at $37,000. What does a non-licensed non-credentialed teacher get paid? Has to be less than $37,000. If my wife were to get hired, she would cost close to $60,000. That’s a $20,000 difference from licensed teacher with no experience and possibly more than a $25,000 difference from a non-credentialed teacher. I am pretty confident Hawaii isn’t even looking at qualified teachers and just interviewing them as a formality and keeping the non-credentialed teachers they have unless could be replaced by the cheapest alternative that’s qualified (licensed w/just a bachelors). Two of my wife’s interviews she stated was quite surreal. One interview was very informal and lasted about ten minutes without any real questions being asked. The principal was completely distracted as if he had some place to be. The other interview the interviewers were very cold and uninterested. I think a lot may have to do with Covid and the budget cuts, but of people think the education system in Hawaii is bad now, it’s going to get a lot worse with more and more qualified credentialed licensed teachers being turned away.

It sucks and Viper was right when he said it will be tougher for my wife to get a job teaching here than we thought. I mean, everyone here and even the Hawaii DOE told us they desperately need qualified teachers and that my wife shouldn’t have an issue. Something is definitely up. Fortunately I have my pension to fall back on a a half decent savings, but my wife wants to teach.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-22-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 04:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post

It sucks and Viper was right when he said it will be tougher for my wife to get a job teaching here than we thought. I mean, everyone here and even the Hawaii DOE told us they desperately need qualified teachers and that my wife shouldn’t have an issue. Something is definitely up. Fortunately I have my pension to fall back on a a half decent savings, but my wife wants to teach.
And she may very well get a position. And - something definitely is up - that is why I try to convey it isn't as straightforward as people think. It is Hawaii. Common sense and the word Hawaii generally aren't used together here.

Things are going to get interesting - I don't see a scenario where furloughs aren't coming, likely 10% pay cuts for at least a few years. Teachers will have to make choices to keep teaching with a pay cut - quit/not work - or move to the mainland - taking another job on island won't happen for most with sky high unemployment.

You could also try the private schools.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And she may very well get a position. And - something definitely is up - that is why I try to convey it isn't as straightforward as people think. It is Hawaii. Common sense and the word Hawaii generally aren't used together here.

Things are going to get interesting - I don't see a scenario where furloughs aren't coming, likely 10% pay cuts for at least a few years. Teachers will have to make choices to keep teaching with a pay cut - quit/not work - or move to the mainland - taking another job on island won't happen for most with sky high unemployment.

You could also try the private schools.
She looked into private schools and charter schools. Nothing posted.

It just makes no sense to put her in a position she isn’t qualified to teach only to have to pay her what she is worth. If that is what they do, the only common sense thing I can imagine and like you stated, common sense and Hawaii are antithetical to one another is these schools try to fill positions with the cheapest candidates they can whether qualified or unqualified then they move onto fill the remainder of open positions with the more expensive teachers. Then they would move the unqualified or qualified, but unexperienced teacher out of the position they hired them for and move the higher qualified teacher into that position.

The irony is, if there is a scenario where there is a pay cut, we can easily absorb it. Whatever salary my wife would get from teaching is just fun money. My pension covers all our expenses with plenty left over. We wouldn’t be forced to move back to the mainland.

As of now, my wife enjoys teaching and wants to teach. We are now discussing whether to stay if she doesn’t get hired here. Living in paradise is great, but she likes having a purpose as well. When this state does the inevitable pay cut they are going to be in even worse scenario than they already are. How many teachers here rely on the exact salary they have to survive, even in the Puna district. This is a potential disaster and I don’t think the DOE even cares. They seem completely content on most of the classrooms filled with “teacher” off the street.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
It seems highly qualified teachers are finding a difficult time to gain employment as teachers in Hawaii. I have heard this from several teachers who have tried to gain employment in Hawaii and how difficult it has been.

Right now the State is undecided whether or not to reopen the schools. If it happens, August 4th is the potential start day. They may open on-line only.

Meanwhile, schools are understandably reluctant to hire new teachers when they don't have a firm plan.

By mid-July a decision will have to be made by those who don't like to make decisions. At this point there is speculation that some transplanted teachers moved back to the Mainland. The actual number is not known yet.

I'm sure your wife will get a job even if she starts as a sub. As soon as the need is recognized, she can assume a full-time position.

I will be surprised if she starts at 60k. Most districts, nationwide, only allow credit for 5 teaching years on the salary schedule for new hires.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Right now the State is undecided whether or not to reopen the schools. If it happens, August 4th is the potential start day. They may open on-line only.

Meanwhile, schools are understandably reluctant to hire new teachers when they don't have a firm plan.

By mid-July a decision will have to be made by those who don't like to make decisions. At this point there is speculation that some transplanted teachers moved back to the Mainland. The actual number is not known yet.

I'm sure your wife will get a job even if she starts as a sub. As soon as the need is recognized, she can assume a full-time position.

I will be surprised if she starts at 60k. Most districts, nationwide, only allow credit for 5 teaching years on the salary schedule for new hires.
Most districts nationwide compensate at a teachers scheduled education and experience. That’s just the way it is. My wife here in Hawaii is a mandatory class III step 6. She couldn’t even volunteer for a pay cut. They by their rules have to pay her at that schedule. Subbing costs the school $178 per day. That is what she qualifies for with her education. She wouldn’t be getting any calls to sub.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:47 PM

If she does get offered something I agree it will be last minute. That might be too late. Not sure why they are holding interviews only to waste people’s time in turning them away.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Most districts nationwide compensate at a teachers scheduled education and experience. That’s just the way it is. My wife here in Hawaii is a mandatory class III step 6. She couldn’t even volunteer for a pay cut. They by their rules have to pay her at that schedule. Subbing costs the school $178 per day. That is what she qualifies for with her education. She wouldn’t be getting any calls to sub.
Just checked the DOE website. Hawaii allows credit for a maximum of 6 years of previous experience on the salary schedule.

Why would she not get called to sub? I've been called virtually every school day in the past 6 years.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Just checked the DOE website. Hawaii allows credit for a maximum of 6 years of previous experience on the salary schedule.

Why would she not get called to sub? I've been called virtually every school day in the past 6 years.
Why don’t you take a full time position? That many teachers take off everyday for you to get a call everyday?

Old 06-22-2020, 06:06 PM

Then my wife would fall on their maximum salary scale for transfer teachers. Lot cheaper to hire a non-credentialed or a teacher with no experience and just a bachelors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii