Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 02:57 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No, it is about who you know - and I'd expect the police department to squarely be a place where knowing someone in the department is one of the highest criteria to getting a position.
I’m sure being less qualified helps. You still have to get past the polygraph, background check, psyche, and physical. That would be a scary thing to push someone through who can’t pass those things because of who you know. It’s an awesome amount of power, responsibility, and accountability a police officer has to hire someone with red flags. There are no Police departments no matter where they are in the US who want to be embarrassed. There is no one who hates a bad cop more than a good cop.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Perhaps it would be best if she waits until you are hired by the police department.

That would give her someone on the inside to help her get hired.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Perhaps it would be best if she waits until you are hired by the police department.

That would give her someone on the inside to help her get hired.
The way it seems, I don’t know anyone, so I’m guessing I’m sh1t out of luck. As we call it in the NYPD, a “hook.” I don’t have one them here.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:27 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m sure being less qualified helps. You still have to get past the polygraph, background check, psyche, and physical. That would be a scary thing to push someone through who can’t pass those things because of who you know. It’s an awesome amount of power, responsibility, and accountability a police officer has to hire someone with red flags. There are no Police departments no matter where they are in the US who want to be embarrassed. There is no one who hates a bad cop more than a good cop.
I would suspect there are more people that would pass these screens than there are open positions. That is where "who you know" comes in to play. It is not necessarily a matter of pushing unqualified people through the system (although that probably happens as well), but rather picking specific favored qualified candidates over other, also qualified candidates.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Surely, you jest. Do you have some examples where the good cops have led the effort to get rid of bad cops? If such examples do exist, they would be noteworthy for how rare they are.

The "Blue Wall of Silence" is real. We are still seeing it on a regular basis. I do NOT think all cops are bad, and this "defund the police" idea is completely absurd. I do believe, just like any other organization, there are some bad apples. I also believe an unwillingness to get rid of them risks tainting the whole barrel.

Last edited by KohalaTransplant; 09-15-2020 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-15-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Surely, you jest. Do you have some examples where the good cops have led the effort to get rid of bad cops? If such examples do exist, they would be noteworthy for how rare they are.

The "Blue Wall of Silence" is real. We are still seeing it on a regular basis. I do NOT think all cops are bad, and this "defund the police" idea is completely absurd. I do believe, just like any other organization, there are some bad apples. I also believe an unwillingness to get rid of them risks tainting the whole barrel.
That’s kinda laughable, There is no such thing anymore. Maybe that’s the way things are in few small town archaic police departments that is set 40 years in the past, but any major police department that is not the way it is and hasn’t been that way for a long time. Look at George Floyd, you know a single cop who defends those cops actions? I don’t. There is nothing that ticks me off and the vast majority of cops than a cop who tarnishes the shield and uniform we wear. You can only know this until you have seen a fellow brother or sister in blue buried in the same uniform you wear.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
That’s kinda laughable, There is no such thing anymore. Maybe that’s the way things are in few small town archaic police departments that is set 40 years in the past, but any major police department that is not the way it is and hasn’t been that way for a long time. Look at George Floyd, you know a single cop who defends those cops actions? I don’t. There is nothing that ticks me off and the vast majority of cops than a cop who tarnishes the shield and uniform we wear. You can only know this until you have seen a fellow brother or sister in blue buried in the same uniform you wear.

I am curious if you managed to type that with a straight face. I am pretty sure cops have been saying that just about as long as it has been a thing.

George Floyd was an especially egregious case. But, already you are starting to see people starting to defend his action, blaming it on Fentanyl. He also had a long history of misconduct. Perhaps if that had not been ignored, we would not have gotten to that point.

Just to gauge where you are coming from:

Do you think Buffalo is a small town? It has a population of 250k.

Do you think the cops there that pushed the 75 year old man and then walked over him and ignored him while he lay on the ground bleeding were good cops?

Do you think the 57 of their fellow officers who resigned from the riot unit (but, notably not form the force, where they would have lost their jobs, and maybe pensions) because the officers above were suspended pending an investigation were good cops?

EDIT: By the way, I am not necessarily blaming the police for defending their colleagues. It is a tough job, with a a lot of gray areas. It is unreasonable to expect them to "police themselves". There should be better external oversight, but that is often resisted by the police, or at least their unions.

Last edited by KohalaTransplant; 09-15-2020 at 11:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I am curious if you managed to type that with a straight face. I am pretty sure cops have been saying that just about as long as it has been a thing.

George Floyd was an especially egregious case. But, already you are starting to see people starting to defend his action, blaming it on Fentanyl. He also had a long history of misconduct. Perhaps if that had not been ignored, we would not have gotten to that point.

Just to gauge where you are coming from:

Do you think Buffalo is a small town? It has a population of 250k.

Do you think the cops there that pushed the 75 year old man and then walked over him and ignored him while he lay on the ground bleeding were good cops?

Do you think the 57 of their fellow officers who resigned from the riot unit (but, notably not form the force, where they would have lost their jobs, and maybe pensions) because the officers above were suspended pending an investigation were good cops?
Yes, I do say that with a straight face because that’s the truth. George Floyd is a bad guy. He’s not a martyr the left has made him to be. He’s a criminal who was high as a kite who resisted arrest. There is no justification of his actions. With that said, there is not a single cop who defends how these ex-officers handled the arrest. I have been involved in thousands of arrest and in my entire career I have never seen such negligence and abuse of force. There is no justification for putting your knee on the neck of a cuffed prisoner, NONE. If you have a prisoner still resisting while cuffed, you place them on their side and hold them down until EMS or an emergency service unit arrives.

In regards to the Buffalo incident, I don’t see any wrong doing in the way those police officers handled an obvious agitator. You do not have a right to get into the personal space of a police officer, especially when what appears to be an attempt to grasp at the officers duty belt. I’m not sure what color the air is of the planet where this man resides at, but here on earth it’s clear and when you step in front of riot control police and attempt to grab their duty belt, there are going to be consequences. You see, the left doesn’t seem to realize this, but we live in a universe of cause and effect. For every action, there is a reaction. That’s just the way it is. This man was rendered medical aid by other officers soon after he fell to the ground. Riot control police’s job is to keep moving the line back and secure the perimeter. Another thing leftists do not seem to realize is policing can be violent and that violence is not pretty. It is often times quite ugly. Sadly, we live in a fallen world and violence is necessary. If you have ever been in a violent situation, you would know it is not fun. Police do not like to get violent if they don’t have to. It downright sucks and it is downright scary. There is nothing worse than fighting for your life not knowing if the person you’re fighting will ever give up and you can hardly breath and blood is getting in your eye. This isn’t an MMA fight where it’s controlled violence. A street fight against a career criminal who has absolutely nothing to lose is the the scariest thing you may ever encounter in your life. Until you have walked a split second in my shoes, you have nothing worthy to say in regards to policing. So with that said, I don’t care if this guy was Mary, the mother of Jesus. You have no right to get into a cops personal space, none.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do say that with a straight face because that’s the truth. George Floyd is a bad guy. He’s not a martyr the left has made him to be. He’s a criminal who was high as a kite who resisted arrest. There is no justification of his actions. With that said, there is not a single cop who defends how these ex-officers handled the arrest. I have been involved in thousands of arrest and in my entire career I have never seen such negligence and abuse of force. There is no justification for putting your knee on the neck of a cuffed prisoner, NONE. If you have a prisoner still resisting while cuffed, you place them on their side and hold them down until EMS or an emergency service unit arrives.

In regards to the Buffalo incident, I don’t see any wrong doing in the way those police officers handled an obvious agitator. You do not have a right to get into the personal space of a police officer, especially when what appears to be an attempt to grasp at the officers duty belt. I’m not sure what color the air is of the planet where this man resides at, but here on earth it’s clear and when you step in front of riot control police and attempt to grab their duty belt, there are going to be consequences. You see, the left doesn’t seem to realize this, but we live in a universe of cause and effect. For every action, there is a reaction. That’s just the way it is. This man was rendered medical aid by other officers soon after he fell to the ground. Riot control police’s job is to keep moving the line back and secure the perimeter. Another thing leftists do not seem to realize is policing can be violent and that violence is not pretty. It is often times quite ugly. Sadly, we live in a fallen world and violence is necessary. If you have ever been in a violent situation, you would know it is not fun. Police do not like to get violent if they don’t have to. It downright sucks and it is downright scary. There is nothing worse than fighting for your life not knowing if the person you’re fighting will ever give up and you can hardly breath and blood is getting in your eye. This isn’t an MMA fight where it’s controlled violence. A street fight against a career criminal who has absolutely nothing to lose is the the scariest thing you may ever encounter in your life. Until you have walked a split second in my shoes, you have nothing worthy to say in regards to policing. So with that said, I don’t care if this guy was Mary, the mother of Jesus. You have no right to get into a cops personal space, none.
Well, that does make your previous statement correct.
I guess if you define "bad cop" narrow enough, you can say that other cops don't like them.

I understand your position better now.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Well, that does make your previous statement correct.
I guess if you define "bad cop" narrow enough, you can say that other cops don't like them.

I understand your position better now.
The same can be said of you if you define “bad cop” broadly enough, but doesn’t make it true. Maybe to you and your circle, but you and your circle are acting on emotion rather than the facts and color of law. You see those Buffalo cops as bad cops, but you do not see the forest through the trees because you’re blinded by your ideology and hatred for the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii