Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 12:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This isn't reasonably contingent on not committing a crime that has nothing to do with your work. I just don't see the connection. You're getting a pension for services provided as a part of your job, nothing more nothing less.
The connection should be you get the pension providing you remain felony free.

Kind of like being a high performer in the military - getting a DUI while not on duty getting you discharged.

I guess you'd know this - If I've put my 20 years in as an Officer and get dishonorably discharged, do they keep their pension?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:16 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The connection should be you get the pension providing you remain felony free.

Kind of like being a high performer in the military - getting a DUI while not on duty getting you discharged.

I guess you'd know this - If I've put my 20 years in as an Officer and get dishonorably discharged, do they keep their pension?
That could be a connection. I just don't see how the two are naturally connected if your felony had nothing to do with your employment.

Military folks aren't generally getting discharged due to a simple DUI; a discharge may result if you get busted down in rank and you're past your higher tenure mark as a result or if you got a DUI when you're still very junior and, thus, separation is simple under "failure to acclimate." And, even in the rare cases that they happen, the discharge status would almost certainly be other than honorable, with the discharged service member still able to keep benefits earned.

If you get dishonorably discharged, you will not be eligible for your pension or other benefits. But dishonorable discharge assumes dishonorable service and is generally reserved for the most troublesome of offenses, to include sexual assault and similar offenses. This is ingrained into military service members as you are told that you represent the United States military both in and out of uniform; and, indeed, we do not have the same constitutional liberties as our fellow Americans (not to the same degree) whether on or off duty. Note, you are not even likely to get discharged for a DUI in the military, though it will hamper your ability to promote as an officer (you'll be allowed to serve until higher tenure kicks in but won't be getting promoted as an officer in today's military) . . . enlisted military service members can still promote with a DUI, though.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
While I'm in favor of reducing taxpayer funded pension benefits generally, I am still opposed to removing benefits on conviction of a crime that had nothing to do with your work. The "contract" essentially was I put in "x" amount of years and contributions, I get "y" amount of dollars a month in pension. This isn't reasonably contingent on not committing a crime that has nothing to do with your work. I just don't see the connection. You're getting a pension for services provided as a part of your job, nothing more nothing less.
The way I see it, don’t do anything to jeopardize your pension. It’s pretty simple actually.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
While I'm in favor of reducing taxpayer funded pension benefits generally, I am still opposed to removing benefits on conviction of a crime that had nothing to do with your work. The "contract" essentially was I put in "x" amount of years and contributions, I get "y" amount of dollars a month in pension. This isn't reasonably contingent on not committing a crime that has nothing to do with your work. I just don't see the connection. You're getting a pension for services provided as a part of your job, nothing more nothing less.
That is probably a fair enough point. The Byron Uesugi example might have been a more questionable one as far as if it qualifies to lose your pension. I will just say that's that there's tons of fraud and criminal acts directly related to job duties. Normally what happens is they either retire or placed on leave with full pay. You could steal $1 billion dollars from the state in the course of your job, and still wouldn't lose the pension. Maybe that's a better example. Or kealoha like I mentioned, abuse of police powers (among other things). Collected a $250k severance, plus years of paid leave plus pension and medical benefits for life.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Here is some good news: Hawaii was just rated the 15th most educated state in the Union in 2020 on two key dimensions: Educational Attainment and Quality of Education. Undoubtedly it includes private as well as public schools.

https://explore.faqtoids.com/us-stat...161&utm_adset=

Last edited by Futuremauian; 09-19-2020 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-20-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Here is some good news: Hawaii was just rated the 15th most educated state in the Union in 2020 on two key dimensions: Educational Attainment and Quality of Education. Undoubtedly it includes private as well as public schools.

https://explore.faqtoids.com/us-stat...161&utm_adset=
That’s funny.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:45 PM

This here will be a battle between the BOE and HSTA.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...hSaQ_fcv6dXk3A

Old 11-24-2020, 09:40 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
If you think Hawaii Public Schools are bad - I couldn't believe it when I read UH Manoa 4 year graduation rate is now a record high of 37%. And if you want to graduate in 4 years, don't go to UH West Oahu with a 4 year rate of 19%. It makes me wonder if DOE poor performance becomes a reflection on the University.

The headline in this story actually says University of Hawaii reports promising graduation retention rates. Shouldn't it read, University of Hawaii reports embarrassing graduation rates yet again.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...tention-rates/

Then I said to myself - maybe that is good, maybe I'm out of touch. But, guess what - I'm not

Grew up in Illinois, looked up University of Illinois - 4 year graduation rate of 70%

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...their%20degree.

Spent nearly 20 years in San Francisco - maybe Illinois got lucky - nope, University of California Berkley is 76% 4 year graduation rate.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...their%20degree.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
To be fair, college graduation rates are generally reported as 6 year rates vice 4 year rates. UH Manoa's 6 year graduation rate is significantly higher than its 4 year graduation rate.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
How much of the blame for poor graduation rates is the fault of the university vs. the students they attract.

All those students graduating in 4 years from UC Berkeley and Univ Illinois would have had no problems graduating from UH either.

UH is just not going to attract that calibre of students. A large percentage of those student that end up not graduation would have had the same outcome at most other schools as well.

Now, one could argue that the school should improve itself to attract better students. But, that is a years (generations?) long process that every school tries to accomplish to a certain degree, very few do so successfully in any meaningful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii