Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 11:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Chances are their classes aren't disrupted by Sp. Ed. or Autistic students who must be included in the name of "least restrictive environment". Public school classes have to include interpreters, inclusion teachers, "handlers" for schizophrenic or suicidal students, and more. All of that distracts from, and dumbs down the education of normal kids in the classes. (I could share some shocking anecdotes, LOL.)
I'll concede that. But, from a pure statistics perspective, that 2 private schools in Hawaii each have more national merit semifinalists than the entire DOE system is - well pretty shocking.

Even if I conceded 75% of DOE students are bad apples (and lets hope it is not that high) - that still leaves DOE with a student pool of 8 times the students of Punahoe - with half the semifinalists.

That tells me DOE does not have the firepower to teach these students to their max potential.

Punahoe salaries are roughly 25% higher than DOE. It makes a difference.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll concede that. But, from a pure statistics perspective, that 2 private schools in Hawaii each have more national merit semifinalists than the entire DOE system is - well pretty shocking.

Even if I conceded 75% of DOE students are bad apples (and lets hope it is not that high) - that still leaves DOE with a student pool of 8 times the students of Punahoe - with half the semifinalists.

That tells me DOE does not have the firepower to teach these students to their max potential.

Punahoe salaries are roughly 25% higher than DOE. It makes a difference.
You don't have to concede anything since we aren't in a barroom pissing contest.

Punahou draws the cream of the crop from all over the world. Public schools draw whomever shows up (and a surprising number are homeless or couch-surfers).

No doubt Punahou also draws higher quality teachers. The better the students, the easier they are to teach.

Incidentally, very few are "bad apples". Most are very well-behaved. They just aren't interested in higher education.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:58 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
I think my wife just emailed her kiss of death to the HDOE. They sent out a FB ad for a virtual job fair looking for qualified teachers from the mainland to fill open vacancies on all islands, especially for Hawaii Island for 2020-2021 school year. My wife emailed them a scathing reply that they have a highly qualified teacher here sitting at home pulling weeds in Pahoa and not the least bit interested in hiring because of the dysfunction within the schools here. She pointed out in her email how uncertified teachers are keeping their teaching positions over qualified certified teachers. I think she has given up and is going to join the police department. I couldn’t tell you how many former NYPD cops I knew were former teachers in the NYC school system. They gave up too. What’s scary is inner city kids have higher proficiency than many of the schools here. She’s done.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:52 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I think my wife just emailed her kiss of death to the HDOE. They sent out a FB ad for a virtual job fair looking for qualified teachers from the mainland to fill open vacancies on all islands, especially for Hawaii Island for 2020-2021 school year. My wife emailed them a scathing reply that they have a highly qualified teacher here sitting at home pulling weeds in Pahoa and not the least bit interested in hiring because of the dysfunction within the schools here. She pointed out in her email how uncertified teachers are keeping their teaching positions over qualified certified teachers. I think she has given up and is going to join the police department. I couldn’t tell you how many former NYPD cops I knew were former teachers in the NYC school system. They gave up too. What’s scary is inner city kids have higher proficiency than many of the schools here. She’s done.
Best of luck to whatever the wife decides to do and gets accepted for.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I think she has given up and is going to join the police department.
So......

What leads your wife to believe she can land a position in the police department?

Old 09-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So......

What leads your wife to believe she can land a position in the police department?
Who knows. She has a clean background and hasn’t and doesn’t use drugs. She hardly drinks. You pass the written and physical test and have clean background, you’re pretty much good to go. Police departments also like candidates who have higher education and/or Military. In my experience, these kinds of candidates are the most attractive.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Who knows. She has a clean background and hasn’t and doesn’t use drugs. She hardly drinks. You pass the written and physical test and have clean background, you’re pretty much good to go.
Set your expectations very low otherwise setting yourself up for disappointment

Things are done differently in Hawaii.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Set your expectations very low otherwise setting yourself up for disappointment

Things are done differently in Hawaii.
That’s what I have been told. The less qualified you are the better. So if she is too qualified to teach, she most definitely is too qualified to be a police officer here.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 09-15-2020 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-15-2020, 02:30 PM

I still imagine HPD wants candidates who have a clean past, no drug use, limited amount of drinking, and pass the oral and written psyche test. That’s usually a pretty important standard for pretty much every police department in the nation.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That’s what I have been told. The less qualified you are the better.
No, it is about who you know - and I'd expect the police department to squarely be a place where knowing someone in the department is one of the highest criteria to getting a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii