Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 06:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times

Advertisements

Just checked the high school websites for Maui.

Lahainaluna High is planning to reopen the first week of August with kids reporting to their first period class and staying there all day long for 5 weeks. Then, they will move to their second period class for 5 weeks, and so on.

Imagine having math all day long, or English or Japanese all day long? No contact sports in P.E. so I wonder what they can do? Lots of calisthenics?

There is also an option where students can work remotely from home.

Baldwin High and Maui High
haven't posted their plans yet. Probably similar.

It's going to be one strange year. Not sure if I want to go back or not...

Old 07-13-2020, 08:10 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
Here is an interesting article in reopening schools and the risks of opening or not.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/9/2131856...ning-questions

Old 07-30-2020, 04:38 PM

The Hawaii State school board is meeting today at 1:00pm to decide whether or not to postpone the start date of the schools from August 5th until August 17th.

Betting that's going to happen.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The Hawaii State school board is meeting today at 1:00pm to decide whether or not to postpone the start date of the schools from August 5th until August 17th.

Betting that's going to happen.
5:00 pm. They still haven't made up their minds. 4+ hours of "testimony". What a waste of time!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 PM

482 posts, read 623,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Here is an interesting article in reopening schools and the risks of opening or not.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/9/2131856...ning-questions
Great article!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
5:00 pm. They still haven't made up their minds. 4+ hours of "testimony". What a waste of time!
Finally they made a decision. School starts back August 17th. (Unless something else happens.)

Old 07-30-2020, 11:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Once government gets the "kick the can down the road itch", it won't end. Don't forget this is a DOE that wanted all schools closed until 4 consecutive weeks of 0 cases.

Now imagine if you told the teachers and administrators that they would be taking 2 weeks leave without pay and watch how quickly they change their tunes. They had 4 months to figure this out, and basically collected paychecks and did nothing.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Once government gets the "kick the can down the road itch", it won't end. Don't forget this is a DOE that wanted all schools closed until 4 consecutive weeks of 0 cases.

Now imagine if you told the teachers and administrators that they would be taking 2 weeks leave without pay and watch how quickly they change their tunes. They had 4 months to figure this out, and basically collected paychecks and did nothing.
I agree about Administrators at the State level. Not sure what they did all summer, and their jobs are year-round positions.

The teachers, aren't paid in the summer unless they teach summer school. I've spoken to enough teachers to know that they still don't know what is coming.

The time between Aug. 5th and Aug 17th (8 school days) for teachers will be spent at school preparing for the virtual, as well as face to face programs. Not sure why you think they should not be paid for that?

I believe that at the Federal, or at least State level, online, adaptable, programs should have been created for ALL teachers to use. Why have each teacher in America try to develop their own individual plans?

Create one plan for all Freshman English students. One for Sophomores, etc.. Do the same for all subjects. Why should every teacher have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak?

At the opposite end of the spectrum, imagine trying to create an online learning experience for Kindergarten kids. Like herding cats!

Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I agree about Administrators at the State level. Not sure what they did all summer, and their jobs are year-round positions.

The teachers, aren't paid in the summer unless they teach summer school. I've spoken to enough teachers to know that they still don't know what is coming.

The time between Aug. 5th and Aug 17th (8 school days) for teachers will be spent at school preparing for the virtual, as well as face to face programs. Not sure why you think they should not be paid for that?

I believe that at the Federal, or at least State level, online, adaptable, programs should have been created for ALL teachers to use. Why have each teacher in America try to develop their own individual plans?

Create one plan for all Freshman English students. One for Sophomores, etc.. Do the same for all subjects. Why should every teacher have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak?

At the opposite end of the spectrum, imagine trying to create an online learning experience for Kindergarten kids. Like herding cats!
The entire thing is absurd. Teachers need to get back to work and kids need to get back to school. I made this point on BI thieves on FB and nearly had my head chewed off. I’m just glad I wasn’t doxed. The data and science is on the side of kids going back.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:26 AM

The silver lining is public schools will soon be obsolete where more parents will begin to hire teachers to provide their children education. The public education system has failed children and they are refusing to get back to work. It’s time to privatize education and teachers will get paid what they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii