Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:42 PM

129 posts, read 118,993 times

Advertisements

I'm married to a woman from Hawaii, and I have plenty of Hawaiian relatives and friends. None of them think that secession is practical or desirable. It reminds me of this scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail": https://youtu.be/9foi342LXQE

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Republic of Cascadia, which would comprise British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. Except it fails to take into account the fact that the PNW west of the Cascades is very different from the area east of the Cascades.

Face it: we're all part of the United States. I think we'll survive Donald Trump. We've survived worse (the Civil War, for instance).

By the way, I used to be Honuman. I haven't posted in the Hawaii forum in eons, and my account was no longer recognized, so I had to create a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM

783 posts, read 576,466 times
I'm wondering what they think will happen to all of the federal land on the west coast and pacific northwest. It's literally like 50% of all the territory there belongs to the federal government.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
I'm married to a woman from Hawaii, and I have plenty of Hawaiian relatives and friends. None of them think that secession is practical or desirable. It reminds me of this scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail": https://youtu.be/9foi342LXQE

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Republic of Cascadia, which would comprise British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. Except it fails to take into account the fact that the PNW west of the Cascades is very different from the area east of the Cascades.

Face it: we're all part of the United States. I think we'll survive Donald Trump. We've survived worse (the Civil War, for instance).

By the way, I used to be Honuman. I haven't posted in the Hawaii forum in eons, and my account was no longer recognized, so I had to create a new one.
We survived (barely) Obama, Trump is here to make things better, he will expose and embarrass Obama as a bozo and worst president ever, it might not happen in the first 100 days, but lot of things will happen to open everyone's eyes to the destruction of the last 8 years.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:16 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
LOL!!!
We survived (barely) George W. Bush, Obama was an improvement but that really isn't saying much and now we have Trump.
This should be VERY interesting.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post

Welcome back!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 AM

161 posts, read 167,859 times
It's fun to speculate, but at the same time, this is a pointless conversation. It's not gonna happen. At least not anytime soon (hopefully never). If the left coast were to succedd, other regions would likely follow. It would likely look something like this:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-realisti...he-near-future

Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
CA won't secede once they figure out the Feds won't be there any more to fund all its welfare, food stamps, all the other govt aid that so many people get here get.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
CA won't secede once they figure out the Feds won't be there any more to fund all its welfare, food stamps, all the other govt aid that so many people get here get.
I try and avoid commenting on uninformed posts where a lack of knowledge is so apparent, but what a ridiculous statement. California gets less than $0.75 back for each $1.00 it pays into federal taxes. A quick glance shows California is almost the lowest recipient of federal aid. I only see a few states that get less. We would get 100% back instead of <75%.

In addition California has the 6th largest economy (2016 data) - beating out all but 5 countries (USA being #1, which if course California contributed to).

In addition California is 3rd in oil produced by state, not counting offshore production. We grow an enormous amount of food as well. Even though I think would do just fine on our own I wouldn't advocate for succesion. I just get tired of misinformed/uninformed yahoos making ridiculous statements.
Attached Thumbnails
If California secedes-img_7742.png  

Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 PM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Attached Thumbnails
If California secedes-img_7741.jpg  

Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
And how will California defend itself? Will need to create its own military and defense systems...there will be plenty of countries wanting to take it over. The US will need to defend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii