Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times

Advertisements

About to be railroaded?: Lawmakers wary of options calling for neighbor islands to help fund Oahu transit project | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

"Several Hawaii Island lawmakers are opposed to having neighbor island taxpayers shoulder some of the burden for Honolulu’s cash-strapped rail system. Others are taking a wait-and-see approach. The idea of raising the general excise tax statewide to help pay for the rail project is one of several options being considered by the Legislature. Another option would increase the transient accommodations tax on hotels and short-term lodging, either statewide or for Oahu only, with the extra going to the rail project.

Mod cut: only post first few sentences of outside material

Last edited by Mikala43; 08-11-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Let's do this.

Oahu stops subsidizing the outer islands. You all become self sufficient. Once self sufficient we won't bother you with a Oahu project. Fair? Oh by the way, the outer islands are just some 3rd world pacific islands without Oahu money. At best, Maui would barely make it. And barely at that with massive tax increases

Who do you think who pays for most of the large pubic projects on BI? (Hint:Oahu residents)

Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's do this.

Oahu stops subsidizing the outer islands. You all become self sufficient. Once self sufficient we won't bother you with a Oahu project. Fair? Oh by the way, the outer islands are just some 3rd world pacific islands without Oahu money. At best, Maui would barely make it. And barely at that with massive tax increases

Who do you think who pays for most of the large pubic projects on BI? (Hint:Oahu residents)
"Who do you think who pays for most of the large pubic projects on BI? (Hint:Oahu residents)"

Can you list ONE "large pubic projects on BI" funded by "Oahu residents"?

Like, not funded by tourist / federal dollars of any kind, just Oahu residents sending their own money our way?

"the outer islands are just some 3rd world pacific islands without Oahu money"

Wow! Don't sugar-coat it, what do you REALLY mean?

Last edited by terracore; 08-10-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"Who do you think who pays for most of the large pubic projects on BI? (Hint:Oahu residents)"

Can you list ONE "large pubic projects on BI" funded by "Oahu residents"?

Like, not funded by tourist / federal dollars of any kind, just Oahu residents sending their own money our way?

"the outer islands are just some 3rd world pacific islands without Oahu money"

Wow! Don't sugar-coat it, what do you REALLY mean?
Oh come on, you can't be so naive as to think the outer islands are self sufficient.

Who do you think pays for all the State roads? $89 million to extend the Inouye Highway - $54 million for Hawaii Belt Road. And on and on. Just this year, the State will pay $330 million in overall capital improvement projects - where do you think the state gets most of its money (hint: Oahu)

DOE

UH

How about the $75 million dollar Kona Airport expansion project.

Who do you think funds Hilo hospital?

Who shoulders the public assistance programs - you'd have no healthcare as you know it, who has to support all those folks in Puna who have no money.....

It is what it is, The Big Island contributes little to overall state economy - you've got no real industry, a large geographic area with a relatively low population with a low proportion of high income earners, a relatively low tourist driven economy compared to Oahu - if the State money was driven entirely in proportion to what the BI contributes the way of life on that island would be drastically different. Quite frankly, I don't think Oahu residents gets a great return on its investment on the BI.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,566,715 times
the argument of "should it be built or not" aside, oahu tax dollars pays for a huge chunk of expensive improvements made to the outer islands. The population and tourism base (people paying taxes) of oahu is multiples of the outer islands COMBINED. The amount of money that might be flowing the other way related to the rail project is a pittance. It's almost like oahu gives the neighbor islands $100 yearly, but now they're bellyaching because $5 might flow back the other direction.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,566,715 times
RE: 40% unpaved roads in puna - you're basically making our point. Those unpaved roads are the responsibility of the COUNTY, not the state. Your county can't even afford to pave its own roads! As whtviper said ""the outer islands are just some 3rd world pacific islands without Oahu money" The highways, schools, hilo hospital, airports are State (READ: mostly OAHU) funded.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:41 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Oahu funded, or federally funded?

Without some back-up, the posts are just opinions.

https://ballotpedia.org/Hawaii_state...t_and_finances
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oahu funded, or federally funded?

Without some back-up, the posts are just opinions.

State funded - of which, most of the State money comes from Oahu.

The State budget is public record - I don't have time to do your research for you - I'm off to Midtown Manhattan, my day is done - time for happy hour

Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
State funded - of which, most of the State money comes from Oahu.

The State budget is public record - I don't have time to do your research for you - I'm off to Midtown Manhattan, my day is done - time for happy hour

Yes, thank you, I am familiar with the state budget. I am referring to posting statements without back-up or some form of support.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, thank you, I am familiar with the state budget. I am referring to posting statements without back-up or some form of support.
Sure. I'll post the state budget later. If you think any of the specific items I posted are 100% federally funded I'm a bit surprised. And it takes a lot to surprise me. I don't think people grasp just how much the outer islands are funded by state (Oahu) money.

Furthermore, if the BI and Kauai didn't exist the standard of living would go up on Oahu and Maui (now, that's opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: