Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

It's not just the tourists who would ride a train that served Waikiki, even though many of them would. What about the workers? What with all the hotels and restaurants and shops there, there must be thousands of relatively low-wage jobs there, all packed in to a small, densely populated area. If that's not a recipe for transit success, I don't know what is.

So why won't it be going there? Was it blocked due to concerns about the aesthetics of having an elevated train running through the area? (I assume it would be elevated, right? The water table would be too high for a subway, I would think.) Was it deemed too expensive to extend the line there? What's the story on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Customs is not at capacity at HNL. As someone who clears customs at least once per month HNL is a piece of cake compared to LAX, IAD, ORD, MIA etc.

You can't have on time departure unless you have an on-time arrival from all those bad weather places. HNL has massive capacity still.

Good to know. You should probably notify the DOT, they didn't get your memo:

Department of Transportation | Kona International Airport to resume international flights

"The new FIS will benefit Hawai‘i in several ways. The Hawai‘i Department of Transportation estimates new international flights to Kona will result in more than $7 million in annual projected tax benefits. International visitors will also spend tens of millions of dollars at local businesses and attractions, further boosting the economy and generating jobs. Hawai‘i has seen the numbers of international travelers increase by more than one million passengers, or nearly 60 percent, since the economic downturn in 2009. The trend in international passenger arrivals in Hawai‘i is expected to continue to grow, enhancing the need for a second airport to accept flights from international destinations.

The secondary international point of entry in Kona will ease congestion at the Honolulu International Airport, especially during daily peak hours and busy travel seasons. The FIS will improve health and safety by increasing resiliency in an emergency. Should an unforeseen incident occur in Honolulu, international flights would still be able to land safely in Kona. Currently, Honolulu is the only landing option in the state for international flights."

Old 08-17-2017, 10:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Easing congestion has absolutely nothing to do with being at capacity. Seriously.

I hate to tell you - but the statement really means it's easier to go direct to Kona than deal with a connection to get to Kona. Not Kona to get to Honolulu.

Come on now. Really?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"Come on now. Really?"

I appreciate your opinion, but I'll continue to believe what the CBP guys tell me. Being at capacity doesn't mean that the facility has long lines etc, it simply means that there is no way to expand the operations beyond current capacity. Maybe next time you are going through HNL customs, you can look around and envision where they might expand to- there isn't any available real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: