Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
best place to be homeless in hawaii is Skid Row, Los Angeles

good luck brah
I’d say seattle breh, LA still has some nice areas unlike dumpy Seattle, so send all that up there instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingman1 View Post
So i am a younger male living on the mainland with a part time job and ssdi due to some chronic health issues. I am currently homeless as rent is astronomical where i live and i just dont make enough money to be able to afford it. This winter is proving to be an arctic hell and those who have never been on the streets in a brutal winter will never be able to understand how harsh it is.

As prospects are bleak for things to change anytime soon i have been contemplating heading to hawaii for the winter to spare myself living through this any longer. My questions are what would be the best island for someone like me to be on? What places would be safe/safer from criminals, homeless addicts etc? Where would be good places to spend the nights and be able to get clean?

Also, are people in Hawaii generally friendly or would they look at me as just another vagabond from the mainland (i bet 99.99% of the time no one would be able to tell that i was homeless anyway, but i thought i would ask)?

Thank you to those who answer this.
I sympathize with your having chronic health issues and being homeless.

However, stop and think about what you are asking. I think the residents of any state would not be excited about encouraging the homeless to immigrate to their state. Hawaii and Hawaiians are no different.

I do think services should be provided to the homeless. I, too, would encourage you to stay in the continental United States. Move south if you have too to find a little better weather.

I do not live in Hawaii, but I have visited there. It is the most expensive state in the country to live in. For someone with a low income, or no income, its seems a no-brainer that they would try to avoid Hawaii.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM

671 posts, read 445,465 times
Hawaii would be a beautiful place to die in. beats freezing to death.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:37 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Hawaii would be a beautiful place to die in. beats freezing to death.
Assuming you die outside someplace nice and sunny. Could be in a jail or a crap shelter.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Dyingman1, you’ve got a tough situation there. At least no one starves in America. Where are you located now? You must have enough money to have access to the Internet, unless you can get on the Internet for free. You could try being homeless in Hawaii, the climate there is tough to beat, if you’re elevation isn’t too high where you camp out. If you don’t like it, someone else will pay for you to fly back to the mainland.

You probably should consider locating to a liberal area of the country, where you can get more free hand outs. They have subsidized housing in Minnesota, based on a small fraction of even a very tiny income. But it takes many years to get approved for subsidized housing. It would be tough to survive in Minnesota on the sub-zero days and nights. They use the very expensive light rail here to keep the homeless out of the extreme cold. Maybe you could apply for subsidized housing in different areas of the country, and be homeless while you’re waiting for your turn at the subsidized housing.

Maybe you could find an elderly person who wants to stay in their own home, but needs physical assistance. You might be able to live with someone like that, trading your labor, assisting the elderly person. Although, it might be tough to find that type of situation if you’re not willing to work, have no job skills, and can’t be trusted.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
You could try being homeless in Hawaii, the climate there is tough to beat, if you’re elevation isn’t too high where you camp out. If you don’t like it, someone else will pay for you to fly back to the mainland.
We literally have the worst per capita homeless population in the country and you are encouraging someone to add to it, and then telling them to use other people's money to come back from a place he should have never been in the first place?? Seriously? How unethical is that??

Old 12-30-2017, 10:20 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
If this guy can get there, find a job, make something of himself and not freeze to death trying, then he should give it a go because nobody knows what his future is. He MIGHT make something of himself while there.
If he can't get a job and make it out of homelessness where he is currently, then nothing is going change in Hawaii. There are jobs available in every city on the mainland. Moving to Hawaii will only add to the existing problems in the state.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:38 PM

69 posts, read 76,975 times
If you have enough money to fly here, you must have enough money for a security deposit on an apartment. You work part time and get disability so you should be able to find a room to rent in a shared house.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingman1 View Post
(i bet 99.99% of the time no one would be able to tell that i was homeless anyway, but i thought i would ask)?
Usually, I can spot a homeless person instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
We literally have the worst per capita homeless population in the country and you are encouraging someone to add to it, and then telling them to use other people's money to come back from a place he should have never been in the first place?? Seriously? How unethical is that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
How about heading south on the mainland?
It's better from the perspective of the people that live in the southern states to encourage a homeless person to go to Hawaii, rather than the southern mainland states, such as Florida. The people that live in the southern states don't want the homeless people and all the problems they bring with them. But it's unlikely that a homeless person will take the advise from anyone, that's probably one of the reasons that they became homeless in the first place.

I'm still waiting to find out where Dyingman1 is living now. Maybe it will take awhile for Dyingman1 to get back on the Internet somewhere at a public library or with their free Obama smart cellphone.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Does anyone posting here know what an internet forum troll is? Besides the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii