Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Alright for something that's useful, get the Hawaii Revealed series of guidebooks by Andrew Doughty.
Frommers also has a book on Hawaii with kids. I would definitely recommend getting a copy (as well as the Hawaii Revealed volume for the island you plan to visit) Here's the link to the Frommer's Hawaii with kids book on Amazon:

Hawaii With Kids

Some other information that might be useful:

Someone mentioned Oahu above. You might consider Aulani Disney Resort on Oahu which has all sorts of activities and facilities geared to children. Here is the link: Disney Aulani Resort

We took our youngest to Hawaii for the first time when he was 5. Our daughter was 7 at the time. From previous trips, we knew that eating in restaurants is very expensive in Hawaii and sometimes the service in restaurants is deadly slow. So, we rented a small house on Kauai. The house allowed us to cook most meals and gave both us and the kids space to spread out in a "home" atmosphere. The house had a little yard that the kids enjoyed playing in, which was great.

With a toddler, I would definitely recommend renting a house or condo if you can rather than staying in a hotel. It will just be less stressful for all involved.

Two specific things on Kauai that our five year old enjoyed on that trip:

On Kauai, there is a beach called Lydgate Beach which has a small walled off section. The walled off section doesn't get big waves like many of the other beaches do so it is safer for children. That beach might be suitable for a three year old. There is also a playground there.

Your son will be WAY too young for any of the Na Pali Coast boat tours on Kauai, but if he can sit quietly for extended periods, he *might* be old enough for a Fern Grotto boat trip. Here's one link for that: https://www.smithskauai.com/fern-grotto/

To be honest, my husband and I didn't relax much on that trip when our kids were 5 and 7. Our main focus was on keeping the kids happy, safe and occupied. But, we still had a good time.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-30-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM

521 posts, read 733,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
No one should pay Aulani prices for a 3-year old. All they need is access to a pool and/or a beach to enjoy themselves.

Have you ever been to Aulani with kids? Because it's definitely worth it. Hawaii is not a cheap place to travel regardless. And if you only want a pool then why travel in the first place? Aulani has a lot more than a pool, it's also on a very mild and safe beach. Not all beaches in HI are safe and the currents can be very dangerous. We lived in Kauai and those were some of the most danger currents.

Its not really for anyone to say how much someone should spend. OP asked a kid friendly place for a 3 year old and Aulani is definitely that. Staying at a safe, kid friendly place also allows the parents to relax more and enjoy the vacation.

Last edited by scgali; 01-30-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
If you've ever been there you would know it's worth the price for the parents too. Disney makes things easier for the parents so they can relax and have more fun. Going to HI for a 3 year old birthday anyway is costly. Most hotels are what, $200 a night? So you may more for more entertainment and a kid friendly environment.

I don't think it's for anyone to say what someone should or shouldn't spend on. Keep your ignorant unsolicited opinions to yourself and try answering the actual question OP asked.
Ugh, are you one of those obsessed Disney fans? The level of hurt you're expressing is amazing. Calling my opinions "ignorant and unsolicited" in a thread where someone is soliciting opinions. Hmm.

Anyway, I lived on Oahu for almost 5 years and went to Aulani multiple times for multiple reasons. In fact, I'm going back again next month to get some Aulani-exclusive Moana merchandise. Yes, Aulani allows parents to dump their kids at Aunty's which is great for parents who want adult time. They're doing the Moana event, but that's only an hour. So, I stand by my original " ignorant and unsolicited" opinion. Aulani is not worth paying double the price of other hotels when the only child in the party is 3. Everything else they offer can be found at other resorts.

Don't like my opinion? Get Tinkerbell to sprinkle some fairy dust on it.

Last edited by Enyo; 01-30-2018 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Cuz words.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Lol, have fun in Hawaii, but don't pretend it's for the baby, LOL!

Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
A friend of mine showed me a picture of her mom holding her in front of the Parthenon when she was four. I asked her if she remembered Greece. She told me she didn’t remember anything before first grade in Toronto. Wasted time.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
A friend of mine showed me a picture of her mom holding her in front of the Parthenon when she was four. I asked her if she remembered Greece. She told me she didn’t remember anything before first grade in Toronto. Wasted time.
It wasn't wasted for the mom.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:40 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
It wasn't wasted for the mom.
She could have left the kid with grandma.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
She could have left the kid with grandma.
True. But maybe she loved having her kid with her. I always did.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
You know, for what it's worth to whomever might care ... a number of posts here are funny and all ... but, the notion that just because a trip such as proposed is going to be of more memorable benefit for the mom than the child of 3 - um, does miss a real important point.:

Why shouldn't a mom celebrate her greatest piece of work in life ... along with the product of her sacrifice and investment?

As my mother aged into her late years, in her 90's, she remained very self sufficient and healthy, hiking a couple miles a day, washing her own floors, cooking her own meals ... but she was lonesome without my father who had been taken by cruel ALS years before. I took a variety of steps to be cheerful and appreciative with her in spite of her frequent anxieties and depressions. One thing I did that she really took note of like no other was: on MY birthdays, I sent HER flowers by courier, thanking her for bringing me into the world and nuturing me along to manhood.

Brought her to tears of joy, year after year ... until she passed.

Sorry to get so serious. But OP, you go girl ... and bring the little one with anyplace you choose to go.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
along with the product of her sacrifice and investment?
Huh? Having kids is a sacrifice? Why bother then?

And here I thought people did it for joy.....

Regardless, I wouldn't let a 3 year old anywhere near a beach unless you were holding it.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-31-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii