Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside14 View Post
The first paragraph says it all. "Hawaii lawmakers are planning a press conference this morning to announce they will return to the state Capitol on Monday to get back to work, and their primary mission is to find ways to cope with a looming budget shortfall and prevent furloughs and pay cuts for public workers."
The ideas are weak.....

Borrow from the Fed - to be paid back later

Issue bonds to fund pension obligations - to be paid back later

Hope they can use the CARES money.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
Long story short is the politicians have potential for lifetime employment, and none want to ruin that by supporting paycuts. Instead, they'll force the governor to be the "bad cop", while they continue to make up nonsensical "solutions". Then when he's forced to go ahead with the paycuts, much like lingle had to do, he's the one to fall on the sword. Like I mentioned earlier, the balanced budget is bull**** if they can just borrow money to "balance" it. But yeah, maxing out the state's credit cards to pay state workers is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The ideas are weak.....

Borrow from the Fed - to be paid back later

Issue bonds to fund pension obligations - to be paid back later

Hope they can use the CARES money.....
Cares money can be used only for virus specific stuff, from what i believe.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post

Cares money can be used only for virus specific stuff, from what i believe.
That's true - they are hoping for an exemption - of course, if you use that - how are they going to pay unemployment and other things they need to deal with.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 PM

Suffice it say furloughs will be back on the table soon - State Council of Revenue projecting $2.2 Billion decline in revenue over the next 15 months.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
Quote:
Suffice it say furloughs will be back on the table soon - State Council of Revenue projecting $2.2 Billion decline in revenue over the next 15 months.
wow.... that's 1.2B more than the leg projected and 0.7M more than the governor projection. we're screwed.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
wow.... that's 1.2B more than the leg projected and 0.7M more than the governor projection. we're screwed.
It should be noted the Council of Revenue number isn't just a suggestion - it is the number that feeds the state budget. Legislature will need to take action.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:00 AM

64 posts, read 62,060 times
I wonder if we're due for a bond downgrade soon. Hawaii had a rating upgrade at the end of 2019 to AA+. That was the highest rating in state history. We are on watch with the credit agencies already and prolonging the lack of action is going to ensure a downgrade.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:16 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:
HDOE is still hiring core teachers. My wife has a couple interviews coming up. They are not hiring anyone else. Who knows if that will change.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
HDOE is still hiring core teachers. My wife has a couple interviews coming up. They are not hiring anyone else. Who knows if that will change.
She will likely need to decide if it is love of the job versus the compensation received - if hired.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-lost-revenue/

At this point, they are now suggesting that furloughs of up to three years would be necessary, potentially 40 percent in the first year -- which would be two days a week -- and then 20 (percent) and 20 (percent) in the next years,” said Randy Perreira, the HGEA’s executive director.

I can tell you - the 40% is meant to scare you. 20% is realistic. 10% cut is achievable with all the supplemental budget requests taken off the table - some accounting tricks - some bonds (more debt) - and using the entire rainy day fund. There isn't a budget model that has no pay cuts (at this time). As a reminder - you don't stop things like construction projects to save money - those are special funds and by law will proceed. Salaries are paid by General funds.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:
She will likely need to decide if it is love of the job versus the compensation received - if hired.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-lost-revenue/

At this point, they are now suggesting that furloughs of up to three years would be necessary, potentially 40 percent in the first year -- which would be two days a week -- and then 20 (percent) and 20 (percent) in the next years,” said Randy Perreira, the HGEA’s executive director.

I can tell you - the 40% is meant to scare you. 20% is realistic. 10% cut is achievable with all the supplemental budget requests taken off the table - some accounting tricks - some bonds (more debt) - and using the entire rainy day fund. There isn't a budget model that has no pay cuts (at this time). As a reminder - you don't stop things like construction projects to save money - those are special funds and by law will proceed. Salaries are paid by General funds.
Would the students then have a three day school week? Even if that was the case, my wife working only three days and only being compensated for those three days, we still have my pension. Now I can’t speak how other teachers would be able to afford the pay cut, especially in more expensive parts of Hawaii. Hawaii has a teacher shortage now? They really will if that is implemented. That is one of the reasons why we are living on the Hilo side. Housing is much more affordable and My wife isn’t going to want to teach forever and will be just living off my pension. Lot easier paying down a house for $250,000 than $500K or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii