Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 12:27 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't know -

But, from a different perspective then:

How many of 131,000 would be dead had they worn a N95 mask, sheltered in place - and were careful?

And by careful, meaning avoiding large gatherings - how many needless deaths were from those with underlying conditions who went to packed church services - you can't make this stuff up

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/u...ronavirus.html
No argument here. The Religious Right are as annoying as the Fanatical Left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 01:39 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
No argument here. The Religious Right are as annoying as the Fanatical Left.
Yeah, forbid Christians want to go to church and worship their God. #stayhome #staysafe #wearyourmask

Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 PM

406 posts, read 865,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Yeah, forbid Christians want to go to church and worship their God. #stayhome #staysafe #wearyourmask

Well, I am 82 and in relatively good health (and I hope to stay that way) and I am the only one in my home so I stay home, wear a mask when I go to the grocery store and my church fortunately streams their Sunday service and Wednesday bible study.

I agree #stayhome #staysafe #wearyourmask

I would love to visit Hawaii again soon, but there is no way I am getting on a plane for a 10 or so hour ride until it's proven safe.

Mickey

Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Well, I am 82 and in relatively good health (and I hope to stay that way) and I am the only one in my home so I stay home, wear a mask when I go to the grocery store and my church fortunately streams their Sunday service and Wednesday bible study.

I would love to visit Hawaii again soon, but there is no way I am getting on a plane for a 10 or so hour ride until it's proven safe.

Buy yourself some N95 masks - they are effective at preventing you from getting Covid.

Unless you get Covid from an airline passenger near you - airplanes have hospital grade air filters

Old 07-10-2020, 01:49 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
I never stated there is proof. There is a difference between proof and evidence proving that something is working.
Let’s journey back one more time.
Quote:
I said It’s evidence. I didn’t say there is proof that hydroxychloroquin is the cure.
But here’s what you posted (“evidence ... is proving”):
Quote:
This study says otherwise and is evidence that hydroxychloroquin is proving to be a successful treatment against covid. ...
Then you go on about having courage to follow the evidence. Nice.
Quote:
... Whether or not you might not like the desired outcome in fear of punching a hole in your worldview, we have to follow where the the evidence takes us. It would be irrational not to. It takes courage to follow where the evidence may lead us.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S...534-8/fulltext
Here’s how “the evidence” continues to reveal:

Quote:
Navarro Doesn’t Give Full Picture On Hydroxychloroquine
By Jessica McDonald

Posted on July 9, 2020

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro has promoted the “astonishing” results of an observational study that found hydroxychloroquine was associated with lower mortality for patients hospitalized for COVID-19. But the study has limitations, and multiple randomized controlled trials have found the drug is not beneficial to hospitalized patients.

In a July 7 press conference, Navarro highlighted the results of a study from the Henry Ford Health System in Michigan, saying it “showed an astonishing 50% reduction in the mortality rate for patients taking hydroxychloroquine,” and that “importantly, the study was based on what’s called early treatment.”

Minutes earlier in a CNN interview, Navarro, who is an assistant to the president and director of the Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, also referenced the study, saying of hydroxychloroquine: “It appears to work … in a very significant way,” adding, “It will save lives.”

Outside experts, however, dispute the notion that the Henry Ford study treated its patients much earlier than other studies, and are skeptical of its findings, as they clash with every other rigorously performed study testing the drug against the coronavirus.

All the evidence points to [hydroxychloroquine] not being effective for improving mortality outcomes in the hospital,” said Eli Rosenberg, an associate professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the State University https://www.factcheck.org/2020/07/na...xychloroquine/
Now then, am I saying hydroxychloroquine does not have efficacy in treating Covid19? No. Saying we don’t know yet. As I been saying about most everything the legions of anonymous, inexpert, internet armchair speculators pitch and rant about without actually knowing their asses from their elbows.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times
Quote:
We will be fine.

They said the same thing during the plague. Spanish flu. WW2. Great Depression. etc.
What was the top tax rate AFTER the Great Depression? What is it today? That is why we will not "rise from the ashes" as it was put. There are 500 Billionaires sitting on their Billions while we handwring about where to find money to re-open SCHOOLS. Untold Trillions have been reclaimed by the elite set and that sucking sound you heard was the rats fleeing the sinking ship of the U.S. economy.

We will not be fine. Hawaii, maybe. IF they keep the rest of us out. If not their cases will rise like everywhere else that people like to go. My state isn't in danger but there are states where the death rate is in fact rising.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What was the top tax rate AFTER the Great Depression? What is it today? That is why we will not "rise from the ashes" as it was put. There are 500 Billionaires sitting on their Billions while we handwring about where to find money to re-open SCHOOLS. Untold Trillions have been reclaimed by the elite set and that sucking sound you heard was the rats fleeing the sinking ship of the U.S. economy.
Ah - so your real agenda is people who have money - got it.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
I haven't decided.

However, 32% of the deaths had heart disease, 30% had diabetes, and 18% chronic lung disease. Now include those with kidney disease, liver disease, and immunocompromised conditions and the numbers start to get really high.

I'll add what I've been saying all along - if you are elderly or have a pre-existing condition, buy a N95 mask, shelter in place - and be careful.

But, for those of us healthy - the odds are overwhelming you either won't get sick - or it will be mild.
Here’s the amazing and awful thing about the human body - it compensates for bad things without putting a “check engine” light on your dash until all hell has broken loose in your body.

You don’t actually need dialysis until you’ve lost more than 85% of your kidney capacity.

You can “feel fine” and have a blood pressure of 220/120.

You can “feel fine” and have a blood sugar of 600+.

You can “feel fine” and have coronary arteries that are 90% blocked.

As a nurse, I can’t even count how many times I’ve met and chatted with people who “felt fine” and also had grave health concerns.

That doesn’t mean you can or should just write them off for dead either.

I’ve known several dialysis patients who’ve been on dialysis for 20+ years.

Dick Cheney might be the poster child for cardiac problems being survivable for a very long time. He had his first heart attack at 37. He went on to have five more heart attacks - stents, bypasses, a pacemaker, an lvad and a heart transplant at 71 years old.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/19/us/di...iew/index.html

Personally, I think he was an awful human being, but his story of surviving for a very long time with a really bad heart should tell you that “co morbid” conditions doesn’t equal “was gonna die soon anyway”.

You know a lot of people with pre-existing conditions - many or most of them don’t know they have them, and they’ll gladly and vociferously tell you how “healthy” they are.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

You know a lot of people with pre-existing conditions - many or most of them don’t know they have them, and they’ll gladly and vociferously tell you how “healthy” they are.
Well - that is on them. I can't make people get a complete physical every year. It does amaze me given the ease to find most cancers, heart disease, liver and kidney problems that people don't get basic tests on a yearly basis.

With that said - just because some people refuse to take care of themselves shouldn't mean my movement is restricted.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:53 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post

I agree #stayhome #staysafe #wearyourmask

Mickey
Exactly. If you have concerns, stay home, stay safe, and wear your mask. For me, I’m not overly concerned. I’m going to enjoy this life and then on to the eternal life in God’s Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii