Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Several restaurants are refusing to seat anyone who has traveled outside of Kauai, including interisland. This rule includes locals who have traveled. (How could a restaurant know of their travels?)

It seems like a sneaky way to discriminate against mainlanders.

https://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-reop...ew-kauai-covid

BTW: Kauai just had two new Covid cases caused by a local woman's trip to Oahu.
The restaurants are relying on people to be honest, which isn't a sound business strategy. And, like you said, such restrictions includes locals who have traveled. I know that if I was a Kauai resident, these moves would make me far less likely to patronize such establishments in the future, though to be fair I am sure that some residents appreciate the moves.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:00 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
I heard of lots of people reporting in Hawaii that they don't know anybody who is sick. How about you rise up and protest these stupid and pointless lockdown measures. 1st amendment applies in the USA. One reason why it makes this better than the british commonwealth nations (Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand) they are hardcore over their with their restrictions. The police state will arrest anybody who even suggests a protest against it.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:14 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
I think it's legal, although probably not ethically or financially a smart decision. As a business and private property, they have the right to deny service/access to whoever they choose as long as its not discriminating against a protected class.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:27 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What’s being done all across the US does appear to be pretty worthless the longer the ‘whack-a-mole’ approach prolongs this mess. And the ridiculous entitlement mentality of our culture is on full display.

Entitlement mentality? Do you mean the notion of, 'Hurray for me and screw everyone else'?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I heard of lots of people reporting in Hawaii that they don't know anybody who is sick. How about you rise up and protest these stupid and pointless lockdown measures. 1st amendment applies in the USA. One reason why it makes this better than the british commonwealth nations (Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand) they are hardcore over their with their restrictions. The police state will arrest anybody who even suggests a protest against it.
Speaking for myself only, but I've enjoyed the uncrowded roads, empty stores, available parking, and having our swimming pool to myself. It's also been my highest earnings year ever.

And we saved by not eating out.

Missed my trip to the British Isles in June and still don't have my airfare back, but it's insured. Also missing Las Vegas and my usual collection of friends who visit in the summer and at Christmas.

Will probably visit California and LV at Christmas but waiting to see if lockdowns get re-imposed over there.

Meanwhile, it's unlikely anyone here will "rise up and protest" (at least until Unemployment runs out).

Old 10-20-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Speaking for myself only, but I've enjoyed the uncrowded roads, empty stores, available parking, and having our swimming pool to myself. It's also been my highest earnings year ever.

And we saved by not eating out.

Missed my trip to the British Isles in June and still don't have my airfare back, but it's insured. Also missing Las Vegas and my usual collection of friends who visit in the summer and at Christmas.

Will probably visit California and LV at Christmas but waiting to see if lockdowns get re-imposed over there.

Meanwhile, it's unlikely anyone here will "rise up and protest" (at least until Unemployment runs out).
I personally agree with the uncrowded roads, etc. It's been a nice vacation from reality. The lockdown earlier this year was pretty surreal.

Just pray that tourism is somewhat open by end of the year and we don't go back into lockdown. Its obvious the outer island counties didn't even want to open, but they had no choice because of the horrendous economic conditions. End of year is also when the long term unemployment cuts off unless the feds or state extends. Not sure what our exalted leader ige is going to do about the rent moratorium. State allocated $100M towards rent assistance, yet only spent 1% so far. Utterly incompetent.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:29 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I heard of lots of people reporting in Hawaii that they don't know anybody who is sick. How about you rise up and protest these stupid and pointless lockdown measures.

Roping off not scores, not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of wide-open acres of national parks is just the bewildered politicians waving their you-know-whats around.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:17 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Entitlement mentality? Do you mean the notion of, 'Hurray for me and screw everyone else'?
No. That’s garden variety self-absorption. I’m talking about the related, also common, self-absorption, un-earned, “muh freedoms! You can’t restrict my consumerist or ideological indulgences ... not fur no reasons!” mentalities that enrages people when they are informed that temporary restrictions and conformances (i.e. mask wearing) are necessary to solve a problem that threatens us all.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I personally agree with the uncrowded roads, etc. It's been a nice vacation from reality. The lockdown earlier this year was pretty surreal.

Just pray that tourism is somewhat open by end of the year and we don't go back into lockdown. Its obvious the outer island counties didn't even want to open, but they had no choice because of the horrendous economic conditions. End of year is also when the long term unemployment cuts off unless the feds or state extends. Not sure what our exalted leader ige is going to do about the rent moratorium. State allocated $100M towards rent assistance, yet only spent 1% so far. Utterly incompetent.
We've all benefited from less traffic. I hope it is mostly attributed to UH and DOE distance learning, but I'm realistic to know it is also from people out of work.

I'd like to see us not get to 10M tourists again - on the same token, I may be in the minority - I find Waikiki, in its mostly abandoned state with most hotels still closed, many empty storefronts, and other boarded up stores, to be a mostly depressing place with much of the life sucked out it. Very sad.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We've all benefited from less traffic. I hope it is mostly attributed to UH and DOE distance learning, but I'm realistic to know it is also from people out of work.

I'd like to see us not get to 10M tourists again - on the same token, I may be in the minority - I find Waikiki, in its mostly abandoned state with most hotels still closed, many empty storefronts, and other boarded up stores, to be a mostly depressing place with much of the life sucked out it. Very sad.
It was probably something of a novelty for waikiki to be so empty, but now I'd agree that it's largely depressing. I still know some locals that are enjoying waikiki with far less tourists though.

I also agree that it would be good to settle on a tourist count below 10M. Businesses are already shuttered, it would be good if the economy settles at a lower rate, lower population, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii