Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 01:11 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times

Advertisements

This is a joke.

9 positives out of 3000 tourist tests - oh no! All 9 are false positives. Utterly insane. They tested 3000 tourists and found 0 cases.

Just like how the state did its surge testing in the h3 tunnels and the positive results were a fraction of a percent. So they quickly buried the results.

It's also idiotic how caldwell cites the "positivity rate", which is at 2-3%, but that is comprised of only people with covid symptoms. So it's a truly inaccurate measure of how much covid is in the community. The only true sampling is random sampling. The amount of positive cases in the community is far less than 1%. On top of that, the death rate is less than 1% as well.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...-arrival-test/

Old 10-21-2020, 01:13 AM

Even more bleak news

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...hardship-into/

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Despite last week’s reopening of Hawaii tourism industry, many businesses say the economic outlook is bleak.

In a recent survey of 1,400 Hawaii businesses, about 30% said they won’t be able to pay any commercial rent for the rest of the year.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
This is a joke.

9 positives out of 3000 tourist tests - oh no! All 9 are false positives. Utterly insane. They tested 3000 tourists and found 0 cases.

Just like how the state did its surge testing in the h3 tunnels and the positive results were a fraction of a percent. So they quickly buried the results.

It's also idiotic how caldwell cites the "positivity rate", which is at 2-3%, but that is comprised of only people with covid symptoms. So it's a truly inaccurate measure of how much covid is in the community. The only true sampling is random sampling. The amount of positive cases in the community is far less than 1%. On top of that, the death rate is less than 1% as well.

On top of that, the death rate is less than 1% as well. The amount of people that died in hawaii so far... drumrolll.... 0.01575% For those that may whine and cry like a female cat in heat about my numbers being inaccurate. 189 deaths / 1.2Mil population. More tourists die in hawaii every year from drowning, hiking, etc. than from covid. FACT. Hell, there's more suicides in hawaii every year than from covid. FACT. Nope, covid is worse right?

Old 10-21-2020, 09:22 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd like to see us not get to 10M tourists again - on the same token, I may be in the minority - I find Waikiki, in its mostly abandoned state with most hotels still closed, many empty storefronts, and other boarded up stores, to be a mostly depressing place with much of the life sucked out it. Very sad.
I agree with 10M being too much. What that best number is, exactly, I don't really know. But there is a need to find the right sustainable balance for both livability and revenue. Personally, I'd like half that number, but that would probably be too little for the revenue benefit side. But 10M has just felt like too many and made everything feel way too overcrowded in my opinion.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:41 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I agree with 10M being too much.
How would you regulate that? Should we become a whole state of NIMBYs?

Old 10-21-2020, 09:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
I agree with 10M being too much. What that best number is, exactly, I don't really know. But there is a need to find the right sustainable balance for both livability and revenue. Personally, I'd like half that number, but that would probably be too little for the revenue benefit side. But 10M has just felt like too many and made everything feel way too overcrowded in my opinion.
We already know 7M isn't enough when we look at the Great Recession.

We do know we didn't see a decent recovery until about 8.5M visitors. I'll edit to add: At the current population of Hawaii

So, how do you keep it to that number. Well, you have to really enforce the illegal vacation rentals AND tax the heck out the ones that come. Of course, that means Hawaii becomes more the playground for the "haves" and probably will price out the casual traveler but I don't see any way to limit the numbers.

Last edited by whtviper1; 10-21-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
How would you regulate that? Should we become a whole state of NIMBYs?
Im not saying you could regulate it. I’m not saying it should or could be a law. I’m simply saying in my opinion the island feels too crowded and something less than 10M sounds good. Half sounds even better. I don’t have any idea if it actually would be better. It just sounds better to me.

I’m sure some smart people out there could figure out a way to do it, if they have a will to do it.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We already know 7M isn't enough when we look at the Great Recession.

We do know we didn't see a decent recovery until about 8.5M visitors.

So, how do you keep it to that number. Well, you have to really enforce the illegal vacation rentals AND tax the heck out the ones that come. Of course, that means Hawaii becomes more the playground for the "haves" and probably will price out the casual traveler but I don't see any way to limit the numbers.
I hope when things get going again that the crackdown on illegal vacation rentals remains robust as it was picking up steam before all the lockdowns.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
I hope when things get going again that the crackdown on illegal vacation rentals remains robust as it was picking up steam before all the lockdowns.
It is fair to say - that illegal vacation rentals, emphasis on illegal, was one of the reasons tourism exploded on Oahu, the most visited of the islands. It has a double whammy of having people avoid paying daily room taxes which are high in Hawaii - and not have the State get that revenue.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Many on this forum know my stance on vacation rentals (I want more, not less, though I want them to be taxed, which will help the state out). That said, my personal position aside, I don't see the state ramping up enforcement against illegal vacation rentals right away. They'll be focused with other things that need attention during the covid recovery phase. And the state may not want to move against illegal rentals in the short term as it means more people coming and spending money in the state. Sure, they aren't paying hotel tax, but they are still spending money on goods and services, which the state gets a cut from also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii