Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 04:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
If this is all true, she could have found a job teaching private or public somewhere in Hawai'i, however
you quit.
My wife was actively looking for open positions in private schools throughout the year. There was an open position for her content area at Hawaiian preparatory Academy, but that was filled within a day. She also looked at Kamehameha schools. There was nothing available. She also inquired a position as Christian Liberty where our daughter went to school and let them know if a position opened up to let her know. She even put in for substitute teaching and that entire separate process and nothing. She was endorsed by Hilo high school. They didn’t need any subs. It’s now June 16th and not a word from any schools on the BI including public. She wasn’t going to go two years of not teaching. They quit on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now now officer. I didn’t claim “all Trump supporters are white supremacists”. I answered your challenge for a source that supports the statement that: “… most white supremacists are Trump supporters.” There’s quite a difference. And, as I said, a True Believer such as you are won’t ever accept any source that reports that truth.

Btw, if you were to review my many posts, you’d find me citing sources from quite a range of media including FOX. My choice criteria generally involves supportive multi-sourcing of the content.

As for me being a True Believer? … of what? I haven’t ever presented any ideological allegiance to anything. I don’t belong to any religion, political party, social clubs. Well, not since the 1950’s when I held memberships with Hop-Along Cassidy, and Cisco Kid fan clubs. Had badges and everything back then. But moved on by about age 8 or 10.
Business Insider is not a news outlet, they are opinion. They are not a source of news. I’m not saying you personally made the claim that Trump supporters are white supremacists. I stated Marxists has made the claim that Trump supporters are white supremacists. Then another poster made a statement that all whites supremacists support Trump. That’s absurd and not true. Richard Spencer supports Biden. So, Being that Trump supporters are white supremacists therefore they are domestic terrorists who need to be rounded up for they are dissenters of the Biden regime. That is the position of the Marxist.

From you continually sourcing Marxist outlets it is safe for me to assume you too are a Marxist. I have yet to see you cite any moderate source. You assume I’m a true believer of Trump which I do support him and his philosophical world view, but what is a true believer? I have the right to assume you’re a Marxist. Fair?

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-16-2021 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 04:31 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
My wife was actively looking for open positions in private schools throughout the year. There was an open position for her content area at Hawaiian preparatory Academy, but that was filled within a day. She also looked at Kamehameha schools. There was nothing available. She also inquired a position as Christian Liberty where our daughter went to school and let them know if a position opened up to let her know. She even put in for substitute teaching and that entire separate process and nothing. She was endorsed by Hilo high school. They didn’t need any subs. It’s now June 16th and not a word from any schools on the BI including public. She wasn’t going to go two years of not teaching. They quit on her.
The bottom line curiosity with regard to your wife’s employment quest and your move, shared by a number of readers here, is: why move without securing a position first?

Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The bottom line curiosity with regard to your wife’s employment quest and your move, shared by a number of readers here, is: why move without securing a position first?
That was definitely a concern of ours and the HDOE ensured us she would get hired because of the teacher shortage and that there would be hiring for core subjects. We took the gamble. Most on here took the most rude of assumptions of why she wasn’t hired based on their assumptions of me. I will say one thing, my experience of being in Hawaii was much different than the experience I have had here on this forum. For anyone who is looking to move to Hawaii, take what posters here say with a grain of salt. I don’t know of anyone on this forum is local. They are mostly all outsiders like you and me. Aloha might not be a thing here, but it sure is on the islands.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
That was definitely a concern of ours and the HDOE ensured us she would get hired because of the teacher shortage and that there would be hiring for core subjects.
In writing?

Old 06-16-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In writing?
Clearly not. We took their word. As I had stated earlier, we took the gamble. The hiring process in Hawaii is strange. There is a union policy principals have to go by prior to calling new hires. First there is a period of time for tenured teachers to switch schools if they choose to. They get first pick. This goes on for a couple months. Then Hawaii resident licensed teachers are then selected, then Hawaii licensed non-residents are selected (my wife). This brings you to the end of May beginning of June. By then teachers like my wife have to decide whether or not to renew their contract in the school they are teaching in. I think my wife had to the beginning of May to decide whether or not to renew her contract. Pretty much any teacher who is currently employed on the mainland has to pretty much take the gamble of not renewing their contract in hopes of getting a job offer in Hawaii.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-16-2021 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
That was definitely a concern of ours and the HDOE ensured us she would get hired because of the teacher shortage and that there would be hiring for core subjects. We took the gamble. Most on here took the most rude of assumptions of why she wasn’t hired based on their assumptions of me. I will say one thing, my experience of being in Hawaii was much different than the experience I have had here on this forum. For anyone who is looking to move to Hawaii, take what posters here say with a grain of salt. I don’t know of anyone on this forum is local. They are mostly all outsiders like you and me. Aloha might not be a thing here, but it sure is on the islands.
Ok. So either the HDOE was lying to you … or, since you have said wife is more than highly qualified, interviewers didn’t sense your wife as compatible (aka: didn’t like her).

Back to what I said previously about all people giving off signals … and all people picking up on signals subliminally as well as obviously. Wife comes across obviously as highly qualified and experienced and professional? What’s that leave for other reason? I’m not trying to be sh***y here. I’m working with what you’ve put out in postings.

As you said: you took a gamble. It was a pretty big one. If you enjoyed the experience anyway, and could afford it as you said, then cool you had an interesting year.

As for the posters in this forum not representing Hawaii … hmmm. I agree that small samplings should always “be taken with a grain of salt.” That said, you were in Hawaii less than a year, IIRC. The posters you refer to as not showing Aloha have all been in the state for many years, if not lifetimes. I was stationed at Barber’s Point twice in service … and have been coming and going for 3 - 6 month stays on and off since mid-1960s. Just maybe our reactions to you are - like the HDOE’s reactions to your wife? Hence, again, what several posters have pointed to as your lack of compatibility with the larger community? Sure, you will find some friendly folks as you report having done. But that does not paint the larger picture … and it doesn‘t negate the observations of folks who have spent 10x - and more the years in place that you have.

No offense, just observations … and sincere best wishes on your re-move to Georgia. Seems a likely better fit. Good luck.

Last edited by Tulemutt; 06-18-2021 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Business Insider is not a news outlet, they are opinion. They are not a source of news. I’m not saying you personally made the claim that Trump supporters are white supremacists. I stated Marxists has made the claim that Trump supporters are white supremacists. Then another poster made a statement that all whites supremacists support Trump. That’s absurd and not true. Richard Spencer supports Biden. So, Being that Trump supporters are white supremacists therefore they are domestic terrorists who need to be rounded up for they are dissenters of the Biden regime. That is the position of the Marxist.

From you continually sourcing Marxist outlets it is safe for me to assume you too are a Marxist. I have yet to see you cite any moderate source. You assume I’m a true believer of Trump which I do support him and his philosophical world view, but what is a true believer? I have the right to assume you’re a Marxist. Fair?
If I “continually sourced Marxist outlets” you might begin to assign me a profile. But I haven’t. That simple.

“True Believer” was a book by Eric Hoffer (early 1950s) as I have described and linked previously for you several times. No need to re-define / link. You fit Hoffer’s profile like a glove. Don’t like it? Argue with Hoffer … and consider what you’ve written voluminously in this forum in the past

Old 06-18-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Ok. So either the HDOE was lying to you … or, since you have said wife is more than highly qualified, interviewers didn’t sense your wife as compatible (aka: didn’t like her).

Back to what I said previously about all people giving off signals … and all people picking up on signals subliminally as well as obviously. Wife comes across obviously as highly qualified and experienced and professional? What’s that leave for other reason? I’m not trying to be sh***y here. I’m working with what you’ve put out in postings.

As you said: you took a gamble. It was a pretty big one. If you enjoyed the experience anyway, and could afford it as you said, then cool you had an interesting year.

As for the posters in this forum not representing Hawaii … hmmm. I agree that small samplings should always “be taken with a grain of salt.” That said, you were in Hawaii less than a year, IIRC. The posters you refer to as not showing Aloha have all been in the state for many years, if not lifetimes. I was stationed at Barber’s Point twice in service … and have been coming and going for 3 - 6 month stays on and off since mid-1960s. Just maybe our reactions to you are - like the HDOE’s reactions to your wife? Hence, again, what several posters have pointed to as your lack of compatibility with the larger community? Sure, you will find some friendly folks as you report having done. But that does not paint the larger picture … and it doesn‘t negate the observations of folks who have spent 10x - and more the years in place that you have.

No offense, just observations … and sincere best wishes on your re-move to Georgia. Seems a likely better fit. Good luck.
There could be 20 different reasons and one of them being we were in the middle of a pandemic and budgets were cut. She would of cost more money. That’s another reason. But no, it has been concluded she came off as not fitting in. A mainlander. It’s a interview for a teaching position. The questions asked are all the same questions that was asked of her when she first interviewed for her first teaching job. The only difference was rather than the interview being done in person when she first interviewed, she interviewed by zoom and one was over the phone. I get that Hawaii is unique in many different ways. I have experienced it. I enjoyed that, but none of us know why she wasn’t hired. I was talking to a guy I worked with and he was saying how his high school daughter I think in Keaau high school has an English teacher from the Philippines that can’t hardly speak English. He explained how he is baffled how she is a English teacher, yet she has been there for years. Whatever subliminal messages my wife sent of that you claim, it’s better at least having a English teacher who is fluent and masters English than someone who can hardly speak the language they are teaching. Just saying.

What I have learned from the forum is there is no possible way of learning how you will adjust living here. There were things you just can’t possibly learn from a forum in how you will adjust. Something as little as the six hour time difference from the east coast could become a nuisance. After living in Hawaii for a year, I realized I can adjust, but most can’t. I enjoyed most of the differences. But, It’s funny, people in Georgia ask where I am working “why would you move here from Hawaii, it’s paradise.” I think to myself what’s wrong with Augusta, it’s a beautiful place, the weather is near perfect, everything you need is here, you’re centralized to many awesome locations like the mountains, lakes, rivers, close to family, the Gulf, the Atlantic, Disney, not too far of a drive to Miami or the Keys. Your a couple hour flight to the Bahamas, and on and on. I tell them “Hawaii isn’t all white sand beaches, mixed drinks, and palm trees.” Yes, it’s beautiful there, but living there isn’t like vacationing there. People have lives like we do here. People work several jobs to get by. You are far from family and friends, you are on an island in the middle of the Pacific completely isolated, the cost of food, electric, gas, and housing is very expensive. The vast majority of people will love vacationing there, but the vast majority of people will not like living there. It takes a certain type of person to love living there. For me, I loved it, but I love my wife more.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
And yet you as an anonymous poster has posted a link from the CDC is just as questionable considering the CDC has been what we would call unreliable.

So we can conclude we are not sure how long immunity lasts from being infected with Covid and the same can be said of those who are vaccinated, yet you inject yourself into this as though you have something more worthy to say. Will we need to be vaccinated yearly? These same people state children who are naturally immune to covid should be vaccinated. That’s strange to me. I did state no one seems to be on the same page. So what is our recourse as a society to protect ourselves from Covid? What if I am still immune from covid? Should I still be vaccinated even though I may be immune? I’m not making any scientific assertions. I couldn’t tell you the last time I messed around with a beaker. Maybe sometime in high school. But we can research studies that have been done that are available to the public. Studies suggest those infected with covid May be lifetime immune. Of course that isn’t proof of lifetime immunity. With that said and the information available to us now and not knowing much about these brand new vaccines I would not inject myself if I have already been infected with Covid.
Ok. As long as I am in a clarifying mode this morning, I’ll hit this one last post topically.

What I ‘injected’ myself to say wasn’t an armchair pseudo-scientific diatribe. That’s the difference I am pointing out: you (and I) are scientific nobodies, officer. And “what our recourse as a society should be to protect ourselves” is, first and foremost: stop spewing inexpert scientific analyses as if somehow erudite conclusions … as you do constantly.

What you [suggest] “Scientific studies suggest” is inexpert armchair opinion.

What I linked from the CDC wasn’t presented as an argument … I didn’t discuss the findings presented, nor argue merit, nor propose actionable response. What I did was demonstrate that even expert analysis is variable … thus all the more so scientific laypersons should at least moderate their spew, if not just shut up altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii