Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have BAD BAD allergies either in Hawaii or somewhere else?
Yes. In Hawaii 7 36.84%
No. I dont have allergies. 4 21.05%
Yes. Somewhere else. 4 21.05%
I have allergies but not in Hawaii. 6 31.58%
My allergies like dryer climates. 1 5.26%
My allergies like other climates. 0 0%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwater67 View Post
I was born and raised in Hilo on the Big Island and grew up surrounded by allergens. Pollen, mold, and dust. The mold and pollen were the worst in Hilo. Then along came the vog eventually and never ended. Moved to Honolulu eventually after school and for some reason the allergies here are just as worse. I have live in the mainland for a bit and even spent time in the orient for a while and realized that Hawaii is very high in allergens. I thought Hawaii would be one of the least places due to the great weather and clean air but I guess not. I have suffered a lot from my allergies living here in Hawaii. Just have to keep the body healthy and the immune system strong so your body can deal with all the allergens in Hawaii better. Taking meds all the time is not the best thing for your body but I guess sometimes you just need to deal with it the way you need to. When I used to surf a lot and spend time in the ocean thats when I noticed I was much more tolerent of all the allergens. Now that I am older and less active with the ocean I am sick much more of the time. The salt water cleaned out my sinuses and kept me healthier.
Hello Coolwater!

The ocean has exactly the same concentration of saline to distilled water that we all breathed in the womb. It's simple to buy sea salt from a health food store and make your own nasal spray using sea salt and distilled water. You'll need 1/2 a teaspoonful of sea salt to 30ml of distilled water. If you don't have a nasal spray bottle, just buy a bottle of Rhinaris from the drug store, toss the contents, and you'll be able to use the bottle for at least a year. You should spray each nostril 6 times - three times daily.

You should also be taking 1/2 a teaspoonful of powdered Vitamin C in 6 ounces of distilled water daily. Within a week your allergies should be history.

This is excellent advice for anyone, by the way, as prevention is always easier on the system than the curative process. Colds and flues don't usually take hold if you follow the above advice.

Cheers.

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
My allergies were not too bad when I lived on the east coast- even in the worst pollen cases, I would only have an occasional issue with runny noses and itchy eyes. I moved here a year ago and ever since March or so (I have no track of time) my allergies went off on me- especially with the really bad vog that we got from BI (I am on Kauai). However, even when the vog is not present, I have noticed that my allergies will sometimes act up (not always....but if vog is present, you can count on it). I talked to my Dr. and she said that it is either blooming plants (I haven't found any mock orange, but I live on a really big piece of land and it could be here somewhere!) or just a reaction to all of the mold. I live in the mauka side of Kalaheo and it rains a lot and I have a ton of plants. I live in the boonies basically, so it could easily be a result of either or both. I am on a diff med and it seems to be doing a better job than my allegra!

I suffered from allergies to mold so I moved to a dryer climate on the island (Maui) with hardly any plants outside. If you want to stop taking meds, you can look into moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii