Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,039 times

Advertisements

read, study, know EVERY SINGLE detail in all the paperwork for shipping your furbabies. and i mean, KNOW IT. attention to detail is key there. it's alot of work and you better do it right or you could end up in a jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM

210 posts, read 972,461 times
I would say to everyone who is moving to Hawaii-DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING. Put it away in storage on the mainland, and come here with nothing, stay here for a few months, and when you know for sure that you will be here long term-then ship your stuff. and dont buy anything here right away-wait a couple of months. also dont sing a lease for long term, get something short term first.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
I would say to everyone who is moving to Hawaii-DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING. Put it away in storage on the mainland, and come here with nothing, stay here for a few months, and when you know for sure that you will be here long term-then ship your stuff. and dont buy anything here right away-wait a couple of months. also dont sing a lease for long term, get something short term first.
I understand the reason behind this, and it is certainly valid. But I would also note a counterpoint - my transition has been made easier, in some indefinable respect, by the presence of a few familiar 'comfort items' brought from my prior home. A few pieces of furniture, my computer, my books, some clothes, and some weird things like the wedge-shaped pillow I use to sit up in bed and read at night, have helped this oh-so-strange-in-so-many-ways (most of them good, but still, different) place feel a little more comfortable at times. I would think this would be even more important for kids, even teens. It is great to be able to shed things and adjust to new ways at a slow pace, if it suits you - I was SO happy to get rid of most of my shoes, and buy 3 new pairs of slippers the day after we arrived, but my mother is still wearing her comfy loafers with little socks, and resists the whole idea of slippers. She'll come around, but in her own time. Having to change everything all at once is sometimes just too much. Maybe that's one reason people wash out here - they think they have to change everything instantly, they sell or leave everything behind, and it's just too much, with a new home, new job, new climate, new culture. If you can at least come home, and in the privacy of your bedroom, wear your fuzzy bedroom slippers at night (or hug your teddy, or curl up under your favorite blanket with the A/C blaring), maybe it will make it easier to absorb all the other stresses of moving.

Just an idea. Of course you have to weigh the benefit to be gained against the cost and hassle of possibly having to move stuff and then move it back.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,466,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
"Third-world country" is how a lot of former mainlanders (including me) describe the Big Island. We're missing all kinds of products and services, but that's probably because they're either too expensive to ship over here or there isn't enough demand for them.

Things I would love to see here, just to give you some ideas: full medical care, Trader Joes, dollar stores (we have one in Hilo; same items as in a mainland 99 cent store, but everything is $3 or more), reliable contractors and other service people, a plastics store like TAP, used building supply... I'm sure there's more, that's just what came to mind first.

Ship only the essentials. One friend brought her grandmother's oak furniture and it doesn't look right here, and it gets mold like crazy. Another friend brought every single thing from the mainland and complains that her house doesn't look tropical. Furniture is more expensive here than on the mainland, but we do have craigslist and freecycle to keep costs down.

Also, a lot of mainlanders can't get used to living here, and many leave in less than 3 years. You might be facing the prospect of shipping stuff back if you find you don't like it here.

But if you have a truck, bring it on over. Big Islanders love trucks, and they go for a premium here. And you'll need it to take your garbage to the transfer station; most areas don't have garbage pick up. Or home mail delivery. Or water lines...
Too funny...when we moved to Hawaii we kept telling ourselves this is a 3rd world country with a Walmart...but LOVE living in Hawaii and hope to return someday.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
At least we have a Wal-mart now, that's a fairly new addition, you should have seen it before. Also not all islands have a Wally's World. (Not that I ever shop there, I do not approve of Wally's World and will not shop there but some folks like it.)

The internet has done a lot to make getting things easier. We used to have to send off for mail order catalogs, find the stuff we wanted and then send off for it and wait six to eight weeks for it to arrive. Now we can find more stuff although it still takes forever for it to get here.

Overnight and express mail take three to five days to get to the Big Island. So that is an indication of "Hawaii time" I guess?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 AM

795 posts, read 2,300,077 times
Talking move on . Hawai'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandjames View Post
Me and my boyfriend are planning on moving to hawaii, but not quite sure where to start.

we have a dog and a cat and know we need time to deal with that.

we arent sure how much money the actual move is going to cost. so how much should we plan on saving?

where the best possible place would be to move to?

how far in advance are we going to have to plan moving?

just any local knowledge that anyone has would be helpful.

like i said we (or i) have no idea where to start planning for this, and im sure some of you have gone through this and would have some tips.

thanks.
Sweetems and I had one month to and we did, course city and county picked up the tab - Mahalo local kine tax payers..

Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM

134 posts, read 517,086 times
Look up the quarantine laws for your pets. It will be at least a four month wait AFTER you get the blood draw for the special rabies test sent off if you're not wanting them to be placed in quarantine. They also need to have current rabies vac's and microchips. There are other things, but these are ones you need to do right away. So plan on at least four months.

I would say to bring things with you. You will need clothes of course. Mostly summer wear, but bring light long-sleeves and pants b/c it gets windy at night. It's more casual here, but you will still need work clothes.

Try to find furnished housing. Look on Craigslist. That's really going to be your best resource for a place to live, IMO.

Bring any personal things you enjoy- books, hobbies, laptops, movies, ect. Once you're here, you can't really just hop in the car and go anywhere else if you start getting antsy. There are a lot of things to do outdoors, but some things get pricey.

It is wildly expensive. I know you keep hearing this, but until you move out here, you really have no idea. If your GF is looking at a retail job, especially Big Island- I wouldn't count on that to be sufficient income to live on while you're looking for work, especially if you don't have any savings to live off of.

You can ship your car over for around $2000. I don't know if BI offers TheBus or other public transit.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Don't bring any cannibals with you, if you're moving to Hawaii, but, then again,,,if you're moving to Hawaii, with cannibals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never mind..............

Aloha

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Is that cannibals or cannabis? Well, whichever, don't bring either. What have you been into, JJ, to think they would be bringing cannibals? We didn't have cannibals here it was those other islands.

To prepare to move to Hawaii, I'd visit first if possible. Pack up all your stuff and stash it at your friend's or parents houses, clean your apartment as if you weren't coming back, take a "vacation" at work and then vacation in Hawaii. If you can find a job within that amount of time, then move to Hawaii. If you can't, then go back and pretend it was just a vacation.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM

850 posts, read 4,366,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We didn't have cannibals here it was those other islands.
he is from maui you know?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii