Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
We afford to live here by not really paying for it. Neat trick, huh? How does that work? My husband is a contractor and his company/the company he's contractor for pays for our housing, furniture, utilities, and rental car. We also get a small stipend for food. But since we're still paying a mortgage, car payment, utilities, etc for our house/car back home, we're not making money off of it.

So:
-We always eat at home
-We never go to the movies. It's Netflix, baby!
-We learned that when you go to the store, you buy what's on sale and make dinner with that. If you're really craving something, you just wait until it goes on sale the next week, or you go without.
-You find cheap sources of entertainment, like puzzles, cards, yard sale books for .50, watching North Shore surfers, driving up and down the Kam Hwy, hiking
-Make friends in your neighborhood so you have people to hang out with for free
-If you want to do something expensive, invite lots of people to go with you and split the cost
-Always drink at home, never at a bar. Food is wildly expensive, but alcohol is suprisingly cheap at the grocery store. Go figure.
-At least three people can tell you how to do something cheaper than you know how to, so take their advice. Also, if you're a civvie and a military person offers to take you to the commasary, GO WITH THEM.
-Quit smoking because it's really expensive

And don't move to Ewa Beach if you hate traffic b/c there's only one way in and out and that's Fort Weaver road and there is ALWAYS traffic on it, even at 2am on a Tuesday. Go live anywhere else and you will be much happier.
-Exactly! Eat at home always, don't enjoy a good movie out, find free stuff to do, etc, etc, etc. If this works for you and your family, then great. You could make it anywhere. But for us, we enjoy eating out sometimes, taking our kids to the movies, picking up blockbuster on occasion, grabbing chinese on a Friday night or just taking a stroll to the mall and having the money to buy something we like. This is our life and we enjoy it. We also pay for this quality and have struggled here for years. I just don't want to bank on turning 70 and then enjoying life....first I'd be too old to want to do anything and second who wants to wait that long to enjoy life? Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM

134 posts, read 517,162 times
If I knew this way of life wasn't temporary for us, I wouldn't have been so blase about it.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM

You made all of those adjustments to your life and you are not staying long term......? Why live here at all under those conditions in the first place if your only temporary? Let me guess....so you can say you lived in Hawaii.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
You made all of those adjustments to your life and you are not staying long term......? Why live here at all under those conditions in the first place if your only temporary? Let me guess....so you can say you lived in Hawaii.
Saying they lived in Hawaii at least sounds like a less painful status symbol than a tattoo?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM

100 posts, read 335,659 times
Maui08 - people move temporarily to places for lots of different reasons, but TXLara said why in her original post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
My husband is a contractor and his company/the company he's contractor for pays for our housing, furniture, utilities, and rental car. We also get a small stipend for food. But since we're still paying a mortgage, car payment, utilities, etc for our house/car back home, we're not making money off of it.
That kind of job moves you wherever the work is at/the company sends you, and in this case it obviously just happened to be in Hawaii. Honestly, doing that kind of work seems like a great way to see different places and experience different things. But, the again, I'm sure its gets old after a while always having to move.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,187,107 times

OK Hope my two sense is worth ....

Been on the Big Island for a month. Listened to everyone here there and learned to block out here on mainland! Researched for around 3 months till I came.

and lived as I lived there vrs the tourist - did a spin around the island to agree that Puna was it for me. Now wish I would have done helicopter tour but all good. But bought my shorts and swim suite (ya swim suit no work with surf better off with tie shorts or none) for $3.50. bought food at markets for the week. found people giving food away. went to Waimea for beef fix. cooked at rental. people gave me fish - taught me to swim in area

- got home and thought I spent allot --- nooo not really for a months vacation in HI .... could I afford it every month hell no - but got offers to come and stay again in homes.

Moving - got a whole new concept thinking of things over there vrs looking online -- minimal is best - and no you can't pack your truck up with things to move. Uhmm swear I thought so. Plan on suitcases or 10K to barge. Would I do this without not having to worry about work.... Wow I reallllllllly don't think so.

If your indepentally wealthy -- maybe - if you are OK to camp and hitchhike (people pick you up it is all good - picked up allot of hitch hikers) ya you can live cheap.... again fit into area before you decide -- if you can't afford to come and visit to see if it is the area -
You can't afford it.......or at least to find out and also leave!

little jobs you have to come up with your own, got offers but geezzz saw also how people with differnt attitudes would be at a lose. Couldn't fathom how would you get stuck on island without being able to leave.... can see in my past if I moved that might be a possibility... again you won't understand till you come. I didn't.

didn't go to bars for a couple of weeks.Just chilled and found if I had a rythm here --- again not totally out there - just think sustainable living would be a good choice now - and HI as an investment.

Finally did met increbile people. Not to drink and drive Wow 2 DWI road blocks - they take there drinking and driving seriouse. Great guys had no problem. I had no problem period on island... but again I could see if not right mind set .... it could really be a problem.

But Wow can't say anymore than all locals say --- come over make sure it is right make sure area (island Pele ) likes you and you like area....... sooooo many climates differnt energy you have to find what works for each person. Country gal - horse gal really thought an area would work for me - no it didn't!

I can see how the island would be horrible for someone not in tune ( really yes somewhat alternative but know city rural mt beach areas) being such a small place if you don't get it or feel it it could be miserable.

Meee I looked everywhere on island loved most other spots not so much but it is a diffent calling that you can't do over the internet. I love it can't wait to go back - Puna yes - all areas ohhh hell no! but the people are the most amazing people you will met in your life if you are open and don't carry your negativity. It was an amazing experience for me -- so what if the plane took three days to leave!!! it was all good!

Just please check out where you think you want to live.

Mahalo too everyone and happy holidays! thanks for my rambling message....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 AM

18 posts, read 93,803 times
Default Try "Harbor Lights" Maui if you want something really cheap

Right on the Harbor; if you're resilient, it will eventually pay off; currently lots of HUD people and possibly sketchy residents, but you can get one for $60,000! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was looking at moving to Honolulu or Maui. Are they both very expensive? Easy to commute around? I can afford roughly $250-300K for a house/condo.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Default harbor lights

Are you kidding me? Why would you recommend that place to anyone new to Maui? There is a reason why these units are going for $60,000!! Please do not consider living here, it is by far the worst place to call home in all of Hawaii. Stay on the south or west sides of Maui, trust me.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Actually, Harbor Lights was a great place to live when first built. Close to everything, shopping, Maui Community College, hospital. Bad management was it's downfall, a condo in there, (if management were changed, some restrictions put in place regarding the behaviour of other resdidents, number of people per unit, etc), for $60,000, would be a good deal.......Just a thought

Aloha and melekalikimaka

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Default marlboro lights....sorry harbor lights

$60,000 would be a great deal. Deal of the century if you don't mind finding needles in your mailbox and ice heads as your neighbors. I can't imagine the "Jones" are going to start moving in there anytime soon and turn that place around. I agree with you that it was once a great spot...when it was first built. Now it has simply turned into a low income/no income hangout for the lowest of lows and that entire property would need to be torn down and rebuilt based on its current conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii